StarzHD for the Pacific Northwest (PNW)

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
I am using two seperate 500's (1 pointed at 129 and 1 pointed at 110/119). After dish did the tp resuffle and power bumps, I hadn't noticed picture breakup off the 129 bird while on the Gold (no movies) package. Last month I went to Platinum and everything seems to be working ok but StarzHD. So far I haven't gotten all the way thru a recording without the loss of signal message and picture breakup. It will go to a distorted picture briefly and restore (the recording continues after I loose a few seconds of video/sound). When I check tp 30 I see it peak at 90 then when the 129 wobble occurs it dips down around 50. I think 50 is still enough of a signal that I shouldn't see picture breakup. So I'm not sure if the problem is that stinking Sat or if there is actually something messed up with the StarzHD transmission. Called Dish last night and they basically said they are aware and are working on 129 issues out here with a resolution coming sometime in a happier future life.

Anyone else seeing this? Any ideas? I asked about a bigger dish and they said it isn't being offered. As it stands now I'll just stick with this package until the price increase and then drop down to Top 200 with HD (silver) because StarzHD is the movie pack I care most about. I'd actually keep the package despite the $10.00 bump if I could just get movies on StarzHD to record without picture breakup.

more info big dishes for 129

There are other threads (not necessarily in the HD section) discussing a 24" dish to get better reception up there.
As for getting it authorized, see those threads (one of the best). (more facts). (early thread w/ pix).

Alternately, you might buy your own 30" to 36" dish and go well beyond the small (but probably adequate) bump the 24 would give you. ;)

Last edited:
Well, IMO, it doesn't help picture quality when STZHD shares the same transponder (30) on 129 with 3 other channels (NFLHD, NGHD and HGHD). This is the only transponder with 4 channels. All the rest have 3 channels or less.

Thanks for the links and info. For no reason that I can think of, my recordings on StarzHD since the original post have been okay. Just minor distortions and nothing involving LOS or complete screen disruption. If it acts up again I'll be calling them.

not just your dish...

Last night, I made the mistake of reading a too-long thread started back last summer, concerning StarzHD and how the picture was so bad.
It had to do with Starz source material, the two satellites it was delivered on (61 and 129) and a lot of other pointless chatter.
Since your problem was related to StarzHD only and not to 129-only, it's probably worth a read.
Search for it, or if I run across it , I''ll put a link to it here later.

278 posts

Here ya go, with 278 posts, read this thread only if you have a sleepless night.

edit: thanks dFergie. That's the thread.

but, re-reading the OPs original post, I guess he was discussing loss of signal... so the bigger dish may be the proper answer...
Hey, anything to avoid that snoozer of a thread! :)

Last edited:
I upgraded to Platinum last Nov and the installer added a 24" dish to my "500". He said we are outside the footprint of the 129 satellite, so the larger dish is necessary. I've had no problems, even in the heavy rain. I'm just outside Seattle.

Constant LOS on STARZHD and NGHD and I'm close to the Canadian border. Most of 129's transponders are in the 60 and 70 range; 30 is normally at around 75. Sounds like I need a bigger dish.

After multiple calls to Dish tech support asking for a larger dish, I wrote an email to ceo@echostar.com yesterday and was surpised to get a call back the same evening. I'm scheduled for an install/replacement with a larger dish on 2/6. Hopefully that will solve my 129 problems.

RE: 24" dish

won't solve your problem entirely, but your drop-outs will be less and not as lengthy. For some of us there is no solution but a different satellite, which I understand they're working on moving into position pending FCC approval--yadda, yadda !!!

The 24" dish and low-noise LNB added 8-10 points in signal strength, but signal still drops to 30 with picture freeze or loss generally 20-30 seconds every hour or so.

Cheers !

Well, a new bird for 129º is a good idea.
But that'll take time.
For now, anyone with a 24" dish, and the so-called low noise LNB, who is still having reception problems, has two choices.

If you are handy with tools, and not shy about installing your own dish...
Order up a 36" dish from one of our vendors (or look around your town for FTA dealers)...
mount your existing LNB on it,
point toward 129º,
and see if that'll get the job done!

I wouldn't be tempted to bother with a 30" dish.
If you're going for it, get serious.
Sadly, any larger sized dish costs too much to ship.
(the little $10..20 satellite meters will make short work of the alignment)

Last choice is to change satellite providers. :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)