STB calling DirecTV many times

Status
Please reply by conversation.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
St Louis Metro East (Illinois)
Now that I have VOIPO and can review calling logs, I noticed that my two HR-24s are calling 8005315602 and 8666858469 an inordinate number of times. For example, Thursday yesterday it/they called out 25 times. So far today, it's up to 17 times. Wednesday it was 17 times. My privacy setting do not allow viewed programming reporting. What is going on?

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
Are you sure your VOIP service is up to the task of modem connections? It could be trying repeatedly if the attempts are failing.

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
I opened a thread ~6 months ago regarding DirecTV STBs using VOIP and the consensus was that it works. Anyway most VOIP providers (including VOIPO) use Mu-255 companding/analog digital conversion (G.711) which supports voice-band modems- -especially low tech fsk modems. I'm not sure how long this has been going on as the logs only go back 5 days though it seems to progressively gotten worse. System test only complains that my internet connection does not work (I removed it). I was under the impression STBs only called once in the middle of the night but the log shows calls sometimes of less than an hour interval all day long. Looking for someone with inside knowledge regarding what exactly triggers call initiation.

Hutch1814

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 18, 2011
Indiana
The receiver(s) are suppose to call back at a set time ever so often which is also preset. If the call "home" doesn't complete itself it will continue to try every 5 minutes to 2 hours until it finally completes the call. Also if you receive a call or on the phone when the receiver(s) are suppose to call "home" it will automatically disconnect and try again when the phone line as available. You can call Directv and ask if the receiver(s) are making a successful call back but it sounds like something is either interfering or the line isn't letting the receiver(s) phone back successfully.

harshness

SatelliteGuys Master
May 5, 2007
Salem, OR
I opened a thread ~6 months ago regarding DirecTV STBs using VOIP and the consensus was that it works.
YMMV.

How long do the calls typically last? If the calls are particularly short, it may be a sign of a failure and retry pattern as Hutch1814 suggests.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
It is better if they have a prefix that would turn on T.38 faxing protocol. Like on ooma it *97 or 79 something like that, fixed the whole could not connect issue .

red hazard

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Oct 13, 2003
I doubt it's a bad internet connection. Zero packet loss, jitter 1-2 ms, MOS score est.: 4.2. These test scores historically are consistent. Charter has the best streaming video results according to Netflix. Not interested in reconnecting the ethernet connection with Charter caps and my use of Netflix. DTV downloads too much VOD junk I'm not interested in. Sunday only 6 calls initiated. Today as of 0830, zero calls initiated. (???) Low speed FSK modems, which I am very familiar with having been a Tech Controller, can perform through some pretty crappy voice-grade channels. Initiated calls typically last 1 minute. Not sure how Voipo rounding works in their calculations though.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
I doubt it's a bad internet connection. Zero packet loss, jitter 1-2 ms, MOS score est.: 4.2. These test scores historically are consistent. Charter has the best streaming video results according to Netflix. Not interested in reconnecting the ethernet connection with Charter caps and my use of Netflix. DTV downloads too much VOD junk I'm not interested in. Sunday only 6 calls initiated. Today as of 0830, zero calls initiated. (???) Low speed FSK modems, which I am very familiar with having been a Tech Controller, can perform through some pretty crappy voice-grade channels. Initiated calls typically last 1 minute. Not sure how Voipo rounding works in their calculations though.

Well I could always tell you how to block dtv vod ips. then they could not push content to your box.

stonecold

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 23, 2004
Directv La La Land
The receivers barely use a megabyte a day.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

I had mine pull alot more then a meg. Yes alot of vod content that is (Pre downloaded ) comes from the satellite. I noticed that large 300 meg file was downloading to the dvr. I am not happy with some of the vod dealings with the boxes hence why i typically leave them off the hook.

digiblur

SatelliteGuys Master
Jun 8, 2005
Louisiana
I had mine pull alot more then a meg. Yes alot of vod content that is (Pre downloaded ) comes from the satellite. I noticed that large 300 meg file was downloading to the dvr. I am not happy with some of the vod dealings with the boxes hence why i typically leave them off the hook.

I have a ipstat running on my router showing all bandwidth from all the ips in my network. I rarely see it over meg unless I have been playing with VOD of course.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)