Stealth antenna getting power from Motorola box?

FunkyBoss said:
Hmmm... Is there also a piece that plugs into an electrical outlet? Does anyone out here have the amplified stealth antenna working well for them with it plugged into an electrical outlet somehow?
What do you think I meant by power cube?

and it works fine, but not plugged in it don't work at all

n0qcu said:
If you are using two cables (one for satellite & one for OTA) you must use the power adapter for the stealth antenna...

Kevin,
I think that you don't have to use the power adapter if you use 2 cables. If the OTA signal is strong enough (as it is in my case) there is practically very little (if any) difference in signal strength reading with the adapter and without it. I checked it myself.

How many pieces are there to the whole amp setup? The installer left a box with 3 coax connectors on one side, and two on the other. I assume that's the diplexor? I get no signal strength from the Stealth, even though he said he was going to install an amp. So if he indeed installed an amp, where is it? Is it inside the antenna?

Got the power injector yesterday. The installer had already put the board in the antenna. There is no way the STB is powering the Stealth antenna. I went from signals in the 20's with major breakups, to signals in the 70's and 80's with no breakups after installing the power injector in-line.

So if you have a Stealth antenna, and the installer put the board in the antenna, but don't have that power injector plugged in somewhere, you are not operating at full power.

FunkyBoss said:
Got the power injector yesterday. The installer had already put the board in the antenna. There is no way the STB is powering the Stealth antenna. I went from signals in the 20's with major breakups, to signals in the 70's and 80's with no breakups after installing the power injector in-line.

So if you have a Stealth antenna, and the installer put the board in the antenna, but don't have that power injector plugged in somewhere, you are not operating at full power.

Is your setup with a diplexer?
I ask because mine is and I only have the amp card. My OTA sig strength and quality are in the 90's...and according to my installer, it does draw power from the box...

I guess that if you don't have a diplexer and have two separate cable runs then you need the power.

truqui said:
Is your setup with a diplexer?
I ask because mine is and I only have the amp card. My OTA sig strength and quality are in the 90's...and according to my installer, it does draw power from the box...

I guess that if you don't have a diplexer and have two separate cable runs then you need the power.

Yes, I am using a diplexer to one of my STBs. Speaking only from my personal experience with this setup, it doesn't appear that the antenna amplifier card is getting power from the STB. Before putting in the power injector, low signal quality levels and breakups on almost all channels. After the power injector, higher signal quality levels and no more breakups. I am approximately 40-45 miles from downtown Chicago where the transmitters are. All of the channels that I now receive fine are UHF. The one remaining channel that is still spotty is broadcast on VHF channel 3. Damn CBS! :(

Hrmmm. I am getting a 60 mile antenna tomorrow, but based upon FunkyBoss' experience, maybe I should really be getting the amplifier installed instead. I'm pretty sure that's not the case now. All of my OTA channels are in a 6 degree arc now, but two channels will be coming on line soon that are in totally different directions, and I understand the 60 mile antenna is directional.

FunkyBox: if you ever run into signal quality problems I suggest you try disconnecting the diplexer and test to see if it makes anyt different.
I also have a diplexer (for cable TV & VOOM satellite) and it's been working just fine. But I keep it on mind if I ever run into problems.

I was having OTA reception problems and emailed
Joe Harkins and Wilt. Both of them stated that the
Stealth antenna does NOT require the external
amplified splitter as it gets power directly from the
Motorola box through the coax cable.

I removed this little power supply and splitter and
my OTA signal is a constant 85-95.

Now if they would get the Closed Captioning working
properly I will be happy.

P....

FunkyBoss said:

FunkyBoss --- Let me see if I am understanding your setup. You have the stealth ant using the diplexer. So one line runs into the house which carrys both sat and OTA sigs. My installer said that the receiver powers up the stealth. So, do you have the stealth coax out running into a power injector before it combines with the Voom sigs? Or am I not correct? Im looking to boost my stealth sig up a little more to get NBC. It would be a big help to me if I could find out exactly where in your line that you have the power injector.

i asked my installer to run two separate lines and
he did with no argument.

the power injector was spliced into the OTA line
just before it connected to the receiver.

power.JPG

P....

So really does anyone know if there is more power going to the stealth with the power injector or is there an equal amount of power throught the one line being powered from the receiver. Is there anyway of hooking up additional power besides the receiver power to achieve more gain?

vinnyv07 said:
FunkyBoss --- Let me see if I am understanding your setup. You have the stealth ant using the diplexer. So one line runs into the house which carries both sat and OTA sigs. My installer said that the receiver powers up the stealth. So, do you have the stealth coax out running into a power injector before it combines with the Voom sigs? Or am I not correct? Im looking to boost my stealth sig up a little more to get NBC. It would be a big help to me if I could find out exactly where in your line that you have the power injector.

Yes, I have a single line from the antenna and a single line from the satellite coming into my house. (So there is no diplexer or combiner outside) Then I have the power injector connect to the antenna coax and then into the first diplexer where it combines with the satellite coax to run a single cable over to one of my STBs.

ok now I get you. Im going to call voom up to run a seperate line from the Stealth to the receiver inside. It cant hurt any...hope it helps. But it would seem to me that a power source at the end of a run of coax can only do so much. I think that i need a booster or preamp right at the beginning of the coax run to boost the sig throughout the line.

vinny, how far away are the stations you are not receiving now? Are they UHF or VHF. Like Walter stated earlier, every location is unique and results will vary greatly with these OTA antennas.

Im about 14 miles away from the Empire State Building ....and currently Im getting CBS...except signal seems to be cutting out tonight, very rare, NBC I dont get signal 15%....Fox I get , UPN I get, ABC I get , WPIX and WNET I do not get. NBC and WNET I hear are operating at very low power but I also heard that WNET has its ant pointed towards NJ, so living in Staen Island, which is in the direct path to NJ, I should get at least enough for a picture. Everything is UHF except for WPIX which will be going UHF when the combiner comes into the picture in NY in June. Maybe. I called VOOM today , they are going to come out and run a seperate line for me for the OTA Stealth. I'll see if that makes any difference. I was thinking of buying a DB8 which is made by Channel Master. And then with the pre amp that should be enough for me. I would really like to get NBC and PBS and I would be extremely happy.

What power signal are you guys getting OTA. I know the OTA sig strength varies per ch...but there is another meter that says OTA power...Im getting in the 40's ..is that good? How can I increase the power to the Stealth?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)