Steps for proper use

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Brighton, TN (near Memphis)
I've had this app for some time and I have a devil of a time using it and setting up my dish when I travel in my RV. I wonder if I am using it properly. Is the proper procedure to locate 119 in the center of the screen and try to lock the compass at that point? Maybe I'm too close to the dish, but the sats dance all over the screen and it's damn near impossible for me to get a true reading. Should I be using the mag readings? Seems like I'm always looking right into the sun and that doesn't help either. I saw one post where Alan suggested getting the direction in the horizontal, then lifting the phone. How do I know the direction to aim? A setup video would be very helpful. Thanks.

Upnorth83

Jan 15, 2013
France
I've had this app for some time and I have a devil of a time using it and setting up my dish when I travel in my RV. I wonder if I am using it properly. Is the proper procedure to locate 119 in the center of the screen and try to lock the compass at that point? Maybe I'm too close to the dish, but the sats dance all over the screen and it's damn near impossible for me to get a true reading. Should I be using the mag readings? Seems like I'm always looking right into the sun and that doesn't help either. I saw one post where Alan suggested getting the direction in the horizontal, then lifting the phone. How do I know the direction to aim? A setup video would be very helpful. Thanks.
I'm having the same issue. A walk thro document or a video would be fantastic. I'm on Android if that matters.
Looking forward to some help 'cos this looks like a brilliant product. I just can't use it.
Thanks in advance.

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Seems a shame that you get no response to a simple request for help. Makes you wonder if the threads are being monitored. Some attention would be nice as there is precious little information posted by the app writer about the use of this PAID app.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
If the sats dance all over the place then you have some sort of magnetic interference, it might be worth it to switch off most of the phone sensors (GPS, Wifi, cell), after getting an initial location lock. See if that improves the situation.

The procedure depends on how what you are trying to achieve. If you travel in your RV, your prime concern would be Line of Sight (LoS) issues. If you are confident with the phone compass then all you need to do is switch on the app and hold it due South at the dish location and see if the desired sat (119W) is on the clear sky and not on a tree or so. If not, you need to move your dish to another place and check again (or check first before moving the dish). That's how you would find the best position for your dish. In the next step you would then align the dish (azimuth, elevation, skew) based on the true readings for the sat.

Hope this helps.

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
If the sats dance all over the place then you have some sort of magnetic interference, it might be worth it to switch off most of the phone sensors (GPS, Wifi, cell), after getting an initial location lock. See if that improves the situation.

The procedure depends on how what you are trying to achieve. If you travel in your RV, your prime concern would be Line of Sight (LoS) issues. If you are confident with the phone compass then all you need to do is switch on the app and hold it due South at the dish location and see if the desired sat (119W) is on the clear sky and not on a tree or so. If not, you need to move your dish to another place and check again (or check first before moving the dish). That's how you would find the best position for your dish. In the next step you would then align the dish (azimuth, elevation, skew) based on the true readings for the sat.

Hope this helps.
I get the LOS issues. My question deals with the coordinates on the screen. Should I find the 119, put it in the center of the screen, lock the compass, then read the coordinates and set the dish from these? If so, which compass readings do I use? If the outlined procedure is wrong, could you step me through it?

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Yes, you can do it like that. On the iPhone, you can set the Horizontal ref mode to satellite and pick the 119W - no need to lock the compass and read the settings ELEVATION and SKEW. If you are using a handheld compass, in addition to the app, you can also note down the magnetic azimuth value. Then switch on the compass again (or change the horizontal ref mode to compass) and point the dish in the direction where 119W is. Then set the elevation on the dish scale to the given value. You should now get at least a signal reading, a slight adjustment of the azimuth might be necessary. Finally you set the dish skew by rotating the dish BY(!) the amount given earlier. So, if the skew reads 10° you rotate it by 10° - depending on your dish, the scale might start at 90° so you would end up at 100° on the scale. The direction is always 'into' the satellite measured from due South. So, if you are standing behind the dish and facing straight South and 119W is to your right, you rotate the dish clockwise.

Hope this helps.

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Thanks so much, Alan. Leaving for East Tennessee on Monday. I'll try this method out. I can seldom get all three satellites, but 119 gives me what I want to watch.

dogpoobob

Supporting Founder
Supporting Founder
Jan 10, 2005
Well,I'm back from my trip and I was able to align using the method that I outlined. A question arises, though. When I follow Alan's instructions and set 119.0 in "Horizontal Reference Mode," then go to "Camera - AR Mode," I see satellite 61.5 on the arc. When I set 61.5, I see 110, 119, and 129. The coordinates seem to be for 119. I'm confused.

AlanSH

DishPointer.COM Admin
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 4, 2007
Best is if you post a screenshot of the setting and the AR screen. Press the home and power button of your iPhone at the same time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)