stil got a thunderbolt?

No idea what happens to them except they'll stop working. They're NOT inaccessible by any means though ! Use a file-browser, locate them on your SD card, and tap them -- they'll install like a normal app (and this time, be placed on your internal storage). You might have to change a setting to allow "non-Market app install" though.

I'm guessing the offline maps will remain on your SD card due to their size.

when it comes up there were 3 options, i think one was to ignore totally
No, he's referring to the setting that LOOKS for the updates in the first place. As explained above, IF your phone downloads the update, it WILL install it eventually whether you want it to or not.

No, he's referring to the setting that LOOKS for the updates in the first place. As explained above, IF your phone downloads the update, it WILL install it eventually whether you want it to or not.

some phones don't have this sertting to not check for updates. not sure about the thunder bolt, i guess it depends on the carrier. i have yet to see a sprint phone with that option.

So if I am rooted then I don't want to install it? Will it brick my phone?

So, with no warning at all, my phone failed to turn on this morning. I reset it and it said a new software is loading do you wish to accept? I answered no and it rebooted and then said Loading... for several minutes. When it finally was done, it came up with a totally new look with a message to pull a ring. So I did and my original screens began to load. The first thing I did was test my apps that are installed on my SD card and they all ran fine. Checked other stuff like widgits and file access, hotspot, etc and everything ran OK. Also tested my Sprite backup and restore and all is well too but I did delete the older files on the SD card and created a new one. I normally have Sprite save the last 3 days and one manual that is known good.

So far it appears this new version 4.0 didn't break anything I do. I guess that report that this new version doesn't permit SD card app installs is false. Mine is working normal. Only real difference is how I navigate the system which I'll need to get used to.

Happy, I won't need to go to Verizon and raise a fuss or make them give me a new phone.

So, with no warning at all, my phone failed to turn on this morning. I reset it and it said a new software is loading do you wish to accept? I answered no and it rebooted and then said Loading... for several minutes. When it finally was done, it came up with a totally new look with a message to pull a ring. So I did and my original screens began to load. The first thing I did was test my apps that are installed on my SD card and they all ran fine. Checked other stuff like widgits and file access, hotspot, etc and everything ran OK. Also tested my Sprite backup and restore and all is well too but I did delete the older files on the SD card and created a new one. I normally have Sprite save the last 3 days and one manual that is known good.

So far it appears this new version 4.0 didn't break anything I do. I guess that report that this new version doesn't permit SD card app installs is false. Mine is working normal. Only real difference is how I navigate the system which I'll need to get used to.

Happy, I won't need to go to Verizon and raise a fuss or make them give me a new phone.

Double check to make sure it did indeed upgrade to 4.0.

I know on our Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I did not have the option at all to install an app to the SD card with either 4.0 or 4.1.

Double check to make sure it did indeed upgrade to 4.0.

I know on our Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 I did not have the option at all to install an app to the SD card with either 4.0 or 4.1.

if he has the ring it should be 4.0.4 w/ sense 3.6

mdram- No, I knew I had 2Gb of main memory before and I still have that now. I also checked with root explorer and those apps are all still ONLY referenced in the SD card folders, no reference at all in the main memory. Most of my larger apps I installed are on my SD card, like TD Ameritrade stock manager, Audible.com, CNBC, Netflix, Sling, several games, pandora, Flight tracker, Phone Voice recorder, Sirius XM Radio, Jazz Radio, Call Announcer, Forum Runner, QR Code.

Satelliteguys app is installed on SD card but while it loads, does not display any thread content. This bug has been present since the last update I did back in November during the warning bug. I complained about it and reinstalled several times but the app still doesn't work right. I wish Scott would kick them in the ass and fix the app. Note- I have problems with it on my ipad too but there it just has dead spots on the screen. Anyway, not about this thread topic.

I installed Sprite Backup and this has to be in main memory and still there and works fine. I also have Adobe Reader in main memory.

YES, system info states: successful update 2/8/2013 This Android 4.0 ( Ice Cream Sandwich ) has enhancements for your HTC Thunderbolt See www.verizonwireless.com for details

In the settings you can select apps and here there is a folder tab to list those apps installed in main memory or another tab for installed on SD card. Plus a tab for apps running. At the bottom there is a usage bar which is cool!

Maybe Verizon's version of this OS is just a little bit different then if it still lets you install apps to the SD card.

just looked, and it does tell you what app uses sd card
it lists all apps for both internal and sd and the amount of data they have on each

there is also an option under settings>app to move an app to the sd card

Maybe it kept that setting with the upgrade?

I wonder if you had to do a complete wipe and fresh install if you would still be able to install to the SD card?

I reinstall the satellite guys app this 1 seems to be working just fine. I'm trying to use the voice to text feature in the Google uh keypad so this is an un edited listing of what I just said

I reinstall the satellite guys app this 1 seems to be working just fine. I'm trying to use the voice to text feature in the Google uh keypad so this is an un edited listing of what I just said
It will improve the more you use it. Be sure to enable the option to send data to Google.

Here's what I think is happening in the controversy of apps to sd or main memory. When I deleted the existing sat guys ap because it was still not allowing me to access due to the malware bug, it installed with no warning about a choice for install to main mem or SD card. It just installed as Hall originally warned. I did the test5 and played with the google microphone to post a message using the app. Other than some formatting and typo errors as seen above, it worked fine.

In the menu settings, go to the storage selection and select "make more space" Here you can move the ap to the SD card. Now it is gone from main memory and is on the SD card. When I went to load it again after a phone reset to clear out memory, it loaded but took about a second longer. After that it ran fine.

The install of maps and other data to co pilot that is large is controlled by the app and not the OS, so here the large data just goes to the place where you set the preferences in the app. The fact that these SD installed apps are already there, made no difference in the ICS update. It seems the new way is only for new aps and then you can still move them.

There is also another option that maybe mdram was referencing, The app may also be removed permanently, or be removed and stored on the SD card for later reinstall.

It appears that there isn't any reduction in function that I have found so far but quite a few new options on how to do things.

Current opinion- New life for my Thunderbolt.

Hall, do you know how to set a signature in the satelliteguys app. Nothing in the Profile. It seems to default on my PC with what is in my main profile. Id like to change that to state when I use the phone app. I thought that used to be possible before all the trouble hit with the malware bugs.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)