Still a bit confused about best combination of Hoopers/Joeys

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

loubon

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 30, 2010
New Jersey
Still a bit confused about best combination of Hoppers/Joeys

I think I've read every post here (thanks for all the great info) and I can't quite find an example of my exact setup and I want to be sure I've got this correct.

I currently have 2 622s with one HD and one SD on each. There can be times when all 4 are watching different live shows but most likely if all 4 are in use someone is watching something that is recorded. About half of what we record is broadcast stations and frequently we will start a show shortly after it has begun (Example: we'll record an 8 PM show on CBS and start watching it at 8:20 PM while still recording).

Putting aside the future upgrade to provide true whole house integration and putting aside costs, it seems to me the best way to replicate this is with two Hoppers and two Joeys. It seems that even with PTAT disabled and regular timers set for the broadcast recordings we might hit conflicts with a one Hopper and 3 Joey setup.

Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

TIA

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you mean by putting aside the future upgrade to true whole home integration, that's what the Hopper is now. If you mean the integration of two Hoppers, if you have two, all Joey's can see both of them now, just not at the same time. So in reality a Joey with two Hoppers can see all six tuners, three at a time. When OTA is added, it will see that too.

It does sound like you need two Hoppers, and two Joeys, that will serve four TV's in HD and all four can watch four different live programs, ASSUMING you are not recording on more than two tuners at that time, or unless a Joey is watching a tuner that is recording.

Yes, I was referring to the integration of the two Hoppers. I don't think either of those last two scenarios would occur because I don't think we could do that with my current setup, correct?

Correct. The important thing is having two Hoppers, that gives each Joey six tuners to see. (right now three at a time, you can switch to the other hopper right from the Joey)

I think I've read every post here (thanks for all the great info) and I can't quite find an example of my exact setup and I want to be sure I've got this correct.

I currently have 2 622s with one HD and one SD on each. There can be times when all 4 are watching different live shows but most likely if all 4 are in use someone is watching something that is recorded. About half of what we record is broadcast stations and frequently we will start a show shortly after it has begun (Example: we'll record an 8 PM show on CBS and start watching it at 8:20 PM while still recording).

Putting aside the future upgrade to provide true whole house integration and putting aside costs, it seems to me the best way to replicate this is with two Hoppers and two Joeys. It seems that even with PTAT disabled and regular timers set for the broadcast recordings we might hit conflicts with a one Hopper and 3 Joey setup.

Can anyone confirm or clarify this?

TIA

I think your best situation is 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. If you opt for 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys, this only gives you 3 tuners to share between 4 TVs. When PTAT is on, you will have to fight over the remaining 2 tuners. I came from a 922, and 2 722 setup for 4 TVs (6 tuners) and last night we ended up fighting a little over tuners simply because the 2 Hoppers aren't integrated yet. This was mostly due to the fact that the users in my home that have Joeys aren't up to speed on how to switch from one Hopper to another (Both children). Hopefully the software update is sooner rather than later.

well with PTAT enabled, and since you state that most times you are watching broadcast programming a 1 hopper/3 joey setup might work just fine. with PTAT enabled you are recording the big 4 channels and have the ability to record 2 sat channels as well. if you think 3 tuners is not going to be enough, then just get a 2 hopper/2 joey setup like i have. then you have 6 tuners available.

usually on monday nights i would have timer conflicts but didn't have any last night because of PTAT.

Unless the extra up front cost is some sort of deal breaker go with 2 hoppers. Your biggest annoyance short term would be if one Hopper location wants to watch something recorded on the other Hopper, but you can't do that now, so you aren't losing anything. The joeys can swith between Hoppers pretty easily.

well with PTAT enabled, and since you state that most times you are watching broadcast programming a 1 hopper/3 joey setup might work just fine. with PTAT enabled you are recording the big 4 channels and have the ability to record 2 sat channels as well. if you think 3 tuners is not going to be enough, then just get a 2 hopper/2 joey setup like i have. then you have 6 tuners available.

usually on monday nights i would have timer conflicts but didn't have any last night because of PTAT.

A second Hopper costs the same as a Joey, why wouldn't he get a second Hopper?

Go with the 2 Hopper 2 Joey setup and you'll be very happy. You have a scenario similar to mine and it works great for me.

Thanks to all for your input. It was pretty much what I had figured out (2 Hoppers/2 Joeys would be best) but I wanted to be sure. Refarding the cost difference I was told the monthly charge would be the same but if you go with 2 Hoppers the upfront charge is per Hopper. So I think that was what the other poster meant about the additional cost.

Thanks to all for your input. It was pretty much what I had figured out (2 Hoppers/2 Joeys would be best) but I wanted to be sure. Refarding the cost difference I was told the monthly charge would be the same but if you go with 2 Hoppers the upfront charge is per Hopper. So I think that was what the other poster meant about the additional cost.

I paid $200 for 2 Hoppers and 2 Joeys. I think that would have been the same price for 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. I think...

Impossible to determine the upfront cost because Dish goes by the particular subscriber as to how much that will be. For many reasons, I would absolutely get two Hoppers. Do you want your whole house depending on one receiver for TV? What if it fails?

Good point about depending on one receiver. Regarding cost I thought one thing that seemed consistent regardless of how you get classified was that the cost is per Hopper. Is that not the case? I don't recall seeing anyone who got two Hoppers pay for only one or a different amount for each.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)