Still Don't Understand DISH sports blackouts

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
On occasion, DISH's sport blackout rules seem to be different than nationally accepted blackout rules.

While I totally understand the blackout rules in all sports that state you have to watch your local RSN.

If not on the RSN, you would get the broadcast on your local network (ABC, CBS, NBC)

Otherwise, you can get it on the national broadcast (national major networks or MLBN, NHLN, NFLN, etc.

So - here are three photo attachments that show today's NFL pre-season game with the Steelers and Tampa Bay game.

According to game finder, no football games show up as being available in Hawaii.

According to today's TV guide in our local paper it shows cable gets that game.

According to our guide on the Hopper, it shows the game is being broadcast but is not available in my area (Maui, Hawaii).

I posted in a baseball blackout post on Satellite Guys several months ago that a Yankees game on the East Coast was advertised as being available on cable here on Maui. The game was available on both MLBN AND ESPN BUT --- both broadcasts were blacked out here in Hawaii on DISH.

So what is it with DISH sports blackouts? Do we only get shortchanged in Hawaii? Or do you guys on the mainland also get cut out?.

Attachments

• IMG_1629.JPG
    IMG_1629.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1630.JPG
    IMG_1630.JPG
    201 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_1631.JPG
    IMG_1631.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 224
Last edited:
We do have agreements with the different broadcasters that may require us to blackout certain games or events. The rules for which games and events will be blacked out are controlled by the leagues, sports associations, and networks that purchase the rights to those games. These rules can impact any market our customers are in.

You can find more information about our blackout restrictions here Sports Blackout Restrictions | MyDISH | DISH Customer Support. - Jasmine D.

Reactions: charlesrshell
NFL preseason is treated differently than regular games. Many pre season games aren't carried by one of the big four networks, but by an ad hoc network of various local channels. Those channels pre-empt the normal network feed in order to air the preseason game. So it's possible that game wasn't truly blacked out in your market, but simply that no one elected to carry it.

Reactions: Tampa8 and HipKat
NFL preseason is treated differently than regular games. Many pre season games aren't carried by one of the big four networks, but by an ad hoc network of various local channels. Those channels pre-empt the normal network feed in order to air the preseason game. So it's possible that game wasn't truly blacked out in your market, but simply that no one elected to carry it.

Very good answer. As an example the Patriots was broadcast by the local WBZ channel for the pre season game the other night, local programming was pre-empted. In fact whenever WBZ does this including for all of our victory National Champion Sports parades :biggrin that programming goes to a Super Channel I get, WSBK. A Connecticut channel did pick up the game but had it not there would have been no broadcast in Ct.

In the case of the OP, are you sure it was not on some channel there, a CW channel or independent channel, maybe even a Network channel? That would be a reason though the NFLN could carry it, it could not where you are.

Dish negotiates hard deals...in the past they agreed not to carry every game...just x amount

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

This isn't that.... :) No negotiation needed.
Not carrying every game is with RSN's, particularly when the RSN picks up games not originally to be aired by them and they now want more money. As an example if games scheduled for the local channel are moved to the RSN and the RSN wants more money to carry them... DISH politely explains to them how to "rotate on it."

No..they only carried about 100 indians ganes one year...its an ancient thread from 10 years ag
This isn't that.... :) No negotiation needed.
Not carrying every game is with RSN's, particularly when the RSN picks up games not originally to be aired by them and they now want more money. As an example if games scheduled for the local channel are moved to the RSN and the RSN wants more money to carry them... DISH politely explains to them how to "rotate on it."

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

Very good answer. As an example the Patriots was broadcast by the local WBZ channel for the pre season game the other night, local programming was pre-empted. In fact whenever WBZ does this including for all of our victory National Champion Sports parades :biggrin that programming goes to a Super Channel I get, WSBK. A Connecticut channel did pick up the game but had it not there would have been no broadcast in Ct.

In the case of the OP, are you sure it was not on some channel there, a CW channel or independent channel, maybe even a Network channel? That would be a reason though the NFLN could carry it, it could not where you are.
Same thing happened to me. NFL Network was blacked out for the Tampa Bay Bucs playing the other night because the local CW station broadcast it.

Reactions: Tampa8

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)