Still have problems with signal

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

harley1340

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 22, 2013
louisianna
New Directtv install two weeks ago with a Genie and 3 clients. I can get a decent picture on the 4 tv's watching 4 different stations at the same time, the problem comes when I try to show 4 different channels at the same time and record a 5th channel, one of the signals will go haywire and unwatchable. I don't have any meters and have been trying to troubleshoot it by playing with the PI and the splitters and checking the signal strenght on the genie on each of the 5 tuners.

This is in a new build with RG6 solid copper core. Here is what I tried and the results

1) RG6 from dish to PI to Genie (no splitter) I have a solid signal on all tuners for each of the sat's and transponders, signal is in the high 90's to 100.

When I put a splitter in the system and check the tuners by sat and transponder I have a couple of tuners with crappy signal strenght and one of the tuners will show 0's for the sat and transponders, the signal strenght by tuner is all over the board. Here is what I have tried with no change in the results.

1) Bought a new splitter and replaced splitter
2) Unhooked the clients from the splitter and put 75ohm cap in the location where the clients were hooked into the splitter
3) I've put the PI between the splitter and dish
4) I've put the PI between the splitter and Genie

What confuses me is I have a good readings on each of the tuners when I don't have a splitter in place but as soon as I put the splitter in place the signal to the tuners are all over the place no matter where I have the splitter or PI. About the only thing I haven't ruled out is the RG6 from the dish to the splitter, but if I have a good signal to the genie without the splitter I don't see how this could be a problem. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Why are you using a splitter? I'm not familiar with the Genie setup. Are there outputs on the Genie itself or do you use a splitter to connect the clients? Is it an approved swm splitter with the green label? Where is the splitter in the setup?

Chip, I've had experience with Directtv in the past but it's come a long way since I had their service. Yes it is a SWM green lable splitter. The tech set up it up as rg6 from dish to splitter, from splitter one line went to the power inserter and from the power inserter it went to the Genie. The other lines of the splitter went to each of the clients. Since the Genie doesn't have any coax outputs I can only assume the clients access the Genie thru the splitter, I assume that the clients don't have any tuners and will access one of the five tuners in the Genie. I've tried everythign I can think of, I unhooked the clients from the splitter and put the 75ohm cap on those outlets with no improvements, I even put the PI between the dish and splitter, no change. It has confused the heck out of me, but that's not too hard to do.

I wish I had better advice for you. I think I mentioned before to check all of the connections and cables. Did the tech swap out the lnb?

Chip, the tech swapped out the lnb and I've checked the cables and connections. Do you think the "splitter" needs some kind of ground?

SWM Power Inserter rewire[64].jpg try hooking it up this way as it sounds like your PI is blocking some communications.

HIFI, thanks for the tip, I tried it and no success. Bottom line if I take the splitter out of the system the 5 tuners in the Genie show a good strong signal on all sats and transponders, as soon as I put a splitter in any configuration into the system the signal goes haywire on 2 of the 5 tuners. When I unplug the PI and plug it back in I guess it resets the LNB and the bad signal will show up on a different tuner(s). I'm stumped, I want to keep Direct, the tech hasn't been a lot of help but this is not acceptiable. jWhen I built the house I got talked into having all my av equipment in one location, thank goodness I ran some CAT 5 cable to all tv locations, that way I can run a hard wire IR repeater if I wind up having to go with cable.

It could be the splitter. Did they switch it for a new one? I'd give the tech another chance.

I know when I was having issues my power box (can't remember that you call the swm power box) was behind my tv. And I didn't have a line going into the power of the swm box. So the tech ran a new line to an unused outlet and we plugged it in there and put a silver cap on the output port, then connected the other side of the wire outside to the power feed and I haven't had problems since.

Here's my outside setup

ImageUploadedBySatelliteGuys1367582508.022921.jpg

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Last edited:
There's one other thing you can look at.. You said you tried a different splitter and got the same result.. What about the Coax? When you add in the splitter, you have to add another piece of coax.. If that coax has bad copper or a bad connector on it, that could easily explain the wonky signal loss..
It's just a thought.. There's gotta be a logical explanation and thats the only thing I didn't see mentioned.

OP here with follow up, I had an "in house" tech show up yesterday, I showed him the signal strenght with and without the splitter in place, he tried different splitters, changing the PI, plugging to PI to a different outlet, etc. everything he did left us scratching our heads. We finally ran a jumper from the dish to the splitter and the signal cleared right up, as bad as I hated to, we ran a new coax and no more problem. According to the tech the cable inside the house (new construction) that was bad was the same quality that he replaced it with. We still don't know what caused the problem with the original coax, but hindsight being 20/20 I wish we had of replaced the connectors on the original cable before we ran new cable.

Bottom line, this (hopefully) fixes your signal issues!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)