Bruce

Bender and Chloe, the real Members of the Year
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Lifetime Supporter
Nov 29, 2003
Received this email from Comcast

Some changes are coming to your channel lineup

We are writing to let you know that the POP, SPIKE, FOOD NETWORK, FX, FXX and CMT channels will be moving to a new package tier and will no longer be available in your current channel lineup starting on January 7, 2016. We're making this change to help with overall programming costs and better align our more popular packages with the most viewed programming.

We are committed to providing you the best TV experience at a great value. If you'd like to chat with us about these changes or explore your options, please visit xfinity.com/channelhelp or give us a call at
1-855-827-7019.

As always, thank you for being an XFINITY customer.

Sincerely,

Your XFINITY Support Team

Of course I was pissed, my wife loves FOOD Network and I must have FX just for their shows and the access to FX NOW for the Simpsons episodes, called them ready to explode and go broadband only, I should not have worried, this is what they gave me-

XFINITY Bundled Services
Starter Double Play Includes Digital Starter, HBO, Streampix, Digital Converter, access to On Demand Programming, and Blast! Internet Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $89.99
Term Agreement Applies 24 Month Term Agreement on account. Visit www.xfinity.com/myaccount for details. Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $0.00
Additional XFINITY TV Services
Digital Preferred Includes access to On Demand Programming Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $9.99
Cinemax Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $1.00
Showtime Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $1.00
HD/DVR Converter Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $7.99
HD Technology Fee Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $0.00
Additional Outlet Digital Adapter $3.99
Service Discount Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $-10.00
Additional XFINITY Internet Services
Speed Increase Extreme 150 Internet Promotional Rate. Promotional Rate for 24 months $0.00
Other Charges & Credits
Broadcast TV Fee $4.50
Regional Sports Fee $3.00
Taxes, Surcharges & Fees $5.45
Total $116.91

I now get every channel except Starz which I care nothing about and faster Broadband for a great price, I think I pay less then what DirecTV and Dish costs for the same TV package and I get Broadband included ( which is more important to me then TV).

Last edited:
Reactions: CrimsonKnightDX
I didn't know FOOD, FX, FXX were also changing tiers. But this does have me wondering if I shouldn't press for a better deal again. I currently have Internet Plus (25 Meg internet, Limited Basic, HBO) and with the new fees this year it's up over $56. Also on my bill it says GAC is being added to Digital Starter. I noted in the on-screen guide that "CMT Pure Music" appears to have become just "CMT Music" at some recent time as well.

I didn't know FOOD, FX, FXX were also changing tiers.

From my inside source it depends on what area you live in before you lose certain channels, they are planing on making the Starter package the basic package instead of Blast Plus, that is why channels are moving up to the next tier, and then limited basic will become the new Blast Plus.

So if you pay $59 for Blast Plus you will have to pay $89 for the Starter Package if you want the same channels, just like me who had to move up from Starter to Preferred to get the same channels.

And the only reason I received a great deal is because of competition since we have Uverse in our town.

In the Chattanooga Tennessee market, CMT of all channels was moved to the sports tier!! That's right, sports tier. POP, SPIKE were moved from starter to preferred and RLTV was removed completely, not to mention the price increases. Sucks!!

So I called to complain and got preferred, HBO, Blast Internet, HD free for a year for 127.00 after taxes and fees no contract good for a year. At least they are working with me. I feel better about it now. Pretty good deal for no contract IMHO

From my inside source it depends on what area you live in before you lose certain channels, they are planing on making the Starter package the basic package instead of Blast Plus, that is why channels are moving up to the next tier, and then limited basic will become the new Blast Plus.

So if you pay $59 for Blast Plus you will have to pay $89 for the Starter Package if you want the same channels, just like me who had to move up from Starter to Preferred to get the same channels.

And the only reason I received a great deal is because of competition since we have Uverse in our town.

So... Right now I have "Internet Plus" which is Limited Basic + HBO + 25 Mbps internet and it costs approx $56 with taxes (including the $5 discount for ecobill). They advertise a price of $45 but it doesn't include taxes and fees.
They advertise this selection of plans:
upload_2016-1-12_14-50-19.png

Are you suggesting that they're going to take the Digital Economy (45 channel package) out of Blast Plus and only provide Limited Basic? At that point, then why wouldn't people just get the Internet Plus with Blast for the same price and at least they would get HBO or Showtime with Limited Basic.

Myself, I don't watch sports and would rather than have HBO than 35 channels of basic cable (Digital Economy package), and I feel 25 Mbps of internet is enough for me at home. I work at a large university, so could download any really big files at work if needed.
I did see on another website that supposedly Comcast is offering speed upgrades to either 75 or 150 Mbps at no charge with a 24 month commitment to the existing package you have, however it sounded like there might have been a "$12 monthly fee" tacked on as well, so I did debate calling to see if I could really get a "free" speed upgrade.

Are you suggesting that they're going to take the Digital Economy (45 channel package) out of Blast Plus and only provide Limited Basic? At that point, then why wouldn't people just get the Internet Plus with Blast for the same price and at least they would get HBO or Showtime with Limited Basic.

Blast Plus will be going away, it will become the new Starter Double Play with the same channels and maybe a few others but with less channels then the Starter has now ( no sports ), the 2 basic tiers will be
Internet Plus with Blast Speed-$59
Starter ( old Blast Plus)-$89

Myself, I don't watch sports and would rather than have HBO than 35 channels of basic cable (Digital Economy package), and I feel 25 Mbps of internet is enough for me at home. I work at a large university, so could download any really big files at work if needed.

I need the Extreme Speed, both my kids only have ( and only need ) Rokus in their rooms instead of Cable Boxes along with their Computers/Tablets/Phones, we need the faster speed since we stream a lot and at the same times.

I only watch Football and as far as the other channels go I don't need them, I would be fine without cable TV, but my wife would miss certain channels.

I did see on another website that supposedly Comcast is offering speed upgrades to either 75 or 150 Mbps at no charge with a 24 month commitment to the existing package you have, however it sounded like there might have been a "$12 monthly fee" tacked on as well, so I did debate calling to see if I could really get a "free" speed upgrade.

The only time I have been able to get free upgrades is when I threaten to go to Uverse and when I do get them I have to agree to the contract, but I don't mind since Dish and DirecTV have made themselves way too expensive for just TV Service.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. In my area (Central Indiana) I was lied to on the phone, but went to an Xfinity retail store, where they found me a no contract plan that was cheaper than what I was offered on the phone, for slightly less channels. Maybe it's time I went back to the Xfinity store to see if they have any new deals.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)