Still no success

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sharpee

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 1, 2006
Bristol, PA
Ive been trying to set up my simple system: A Traxis 3500 & a 30x35 inch dish with a standard LNBF. (Traxis Received about 2 weeks ago)
After 2 weeks I'm ready to give up. Ive done much research throughout the threads and still nothing. (Very discouraged!)
According to the info PSB posted for me my location is
Latitude 40° 6.552'N Longitude 74° 51.642'W Bristol, pa 19007
according to Satellite Finder is by (c) Copyright 2004, P. Lutus
My closest true south SAT is SBS 6 74.0W 178.7 192.6 43.6 -1.0
Now, according to Satellite az-el Calculator:
AZ 178.68 true and 190.18 mag??? EL is same 43.6
Who is right? I always input a VALID TP to do a signal search and scanned across many elevations on the dish. I'm beginning to think my LNBF is bad.
Oh, by the way, I'm using an inclinometer for scew and dish EL. All wires are good.
The traxis 3500 shows a signal level of 33-36% with 11% quality with LNB plugged aimed anywhere and slightyly less unplugged. Maybe the Traxis is bad?
Any thoughts anyone??

Thanks, Sharpee

The LNB is always the first thing to be blamed (Then the receiver), 99.9% of the time its nothing to do with them :(

There will be no skew on your true south satellite, the LNB will be straight up and down.

Signal strength means NOTHING, do not even look at it, its all about signal quality!

Last edited:
PSB said:
Signal quality means NOTHING, do not even look at it, its all about signal quality!

That should be Signal Strength means NOTHING, do not even look at it, its all about signal quality!

Last edited:
Signal quality means NOTHING, do not even look at it, its all about signal quality!
huh? :)

Make sure you are using an active transponder....for SBS6 Ohio News is strong

11742 freq
H polarity
6616 symbol rate

190 azimuth (190-192 isnt much difference) is a little off of straight south

Thanks for the replies.
Yeah I know, I always look at the quality based on the info I read here in the forum. Anyways, (got LNB at a flea market) the LNB I have does have a crack on the cover. I opened it up, all I see is a water mark on the housing but the inside does look good. So, I ordered a new LNB anyways. I should probably get a good strong dish mount, the one I have looks like its for the smaller DBS type dishes
I will mount it on the addition in the back of the house.
I've been up there about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 weeks....LOL My neighbors probably think im crazy!!....Who cares as long as we have clear access to the Clarke Belt.... LONG LIVE FTA!!

Sharpee

sharpee said:
AZ 178.68 true and 190.18 mag??? EL is same 43.6
Who is right?

This just says to point in the direction of 178.68 degrees true (or from as map), your compass will have to point at 190.18 degrees. This is because the magnetic fields of the earth are always changing, and for your location, you have to add 11.5 degrees to the true or map reading (or satellite calculator) to get where your compass is to point.

sharpee said:
I've been up there about 3 or 4 times in the last 2 weeks....LOL My neighbors probably think im crazy!!....Who cares as long as we have clear access to the Clarke Belt.... LONG LIVE FTA!!

Sharpee

nah...your neighbors willl stop looking when
-you're up there 5 times a day
-you're up working on it at 10:00 at night
(this depends on where you live)...if you're out working on it when its -15F

my neighbors stopped looking when I put dish 5 up
:)

LOL I love it! Ive been messing around with my ham antennas for 4 years now!!
My wife just rolls her eyes and mumbles something as she passes by. Now she has to deal with the the sat stuff! just waite till i get my stuff together. I have some room for more dishes I would love a 1.2m!!

Thanks guys for the encouragement, I'm gonna keep on trying.
Sharpee

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)