Still Torn Between Uverse and Direct tv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

yellowcanary73

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Mar 12, 2006
We have Uverse now love the whole house DVR and it doesn't go out when it rains but the boxes absolutely suck they slow to respond to remote commands and a lot of times not the right response I pay 106 for it with no contract.
Direct tv I see has the whole house DVR now was thinking of getting 2 HD DVR with the cinema now for about 44 first year and 77 for second year.I know it will lose signal every now and then(and live in north central Texas where it can get bad weather)and there is a 2 year contract.
Is there any other reason you like Direct tv over the others.

Despite the rain fade, I still love DirecTV. It's far better than Uverse, which is nothing more than a glorified DSL line. Uverse can't handle more than 2 HD streams into the house and they compress the heck out of the HD signal that comes over the pipe.

As of now I have 3 HD streams I find myself about to throw the remote at the box 20 to 30 times a day.

U-veres does not have MLB network and makes you buy the movies pack / U-300 to get fox business and other non movie channels.

We have Uverse now love the whole house DVR and it doesn't go out when it rains but the boxes absolutely suck they slow to respond to remote commands and a lot of times not the right response I pay 106 for it with no contract.
Direct tv I see has the whole house DVR now was thinking of getting 2 HD DVR with the cinema now for about 44 first year and 77 for second year.I know it will lose signal every now and then(and live in north central Texas where it can get bad weather)and there is a 2 year contract.
Is there any other reason you like Direct tv over the others.

I'm in the Dallas area and have had DirecTV since 1999. Regarding the rain fade issue, you're correct in that's the one advantage of a landline svc but speaking as one that has lived in the area aince 1999, my rain fade is very infrequent and only occurs when the heavy storm clouds pass overhead. I never have rain fade with normal rainfall weather.

Also, the duration of the rain fade is proportional to the alignment status of one's dish. The more precise the dish alignment, the shorter your rain fade duration. At present, I'm getting a min signal of 95 on almost all of my transponder readings.

For me, when I considered providers, I looked at the differences in programming. Since I'm a sports watcher, DirecTV was the only choice for me. They also offer me enough movie channel offerings to keep me as a customer.

Dish offers more movie channels, and more HD "national" (AMC, TCM, etc) channels at present, but they are behind DirecTV in the sports programming offerings.

Uverse is up to 4 HD streams in many areas. Combine that with the internet bundles, I'd go with uverse everyday. The HD quality in Kansas City area is fantastic.

As with any comparison, you need to start with evaluating the channels you want and see how each stacks up. If both carry everything you want in HD, go with the cheaper.

Make sure you compare ALL your available options.

Remember that you'll still need broadband even if you go with DIRECTV.

Was told I could keep my Broadband with Uverse

I have both:

Uverse:
While its much improved it still falls short of direc tv.
Its glitchy. The dvrs are not as good as direc.
Vod which I love, has picture issues. Picture stuttering.
I have had Uverse tech out many times and all is good(according to them)

Priceing for Uverse is good. Its cheaper. Bundle pricing is excellent!
However, Quality wise it just is not there.

As far as the whole home Dvr. Direc has it! It works great.

Im getting rid of Uverse tv this week. Quality, equipment
is not great.
On the plus side I will keep the internet and Phone service.

Go direc!!!

I am having U-Verse installed tomorrow after 14 years with DirecTV. The main reason is HD movie channels and a $60 a month savings for 12 months, it will be $20 after the promo period, but my Internet speed goes from my current 6 Mbps to 18. With DirecTV, I currently have all the movie channels except Cinemax because of the price for 3 channels. But for a cheaper price I get 14 HBO, 12 Cinemax, 12 Showtime, and 6 Starz channels in HD. For the non movie channels we watch, we will only gain the Cooking channel in HD with no channel losses. I am a little concerned with some of the comments about U-Verse's pq and DVR, but some of my friends who have had it installed recently gave it good reviews. I have 30 days to cancel before the 12 month commitment starts. My wife and I watch mostly movies so that is the main reason for us giving it a try. Also, there is an iPhone app that let's you watch some U-Verse content on your iPhone and iPad. I will update this thread with my experiences.

The op has Uverse and wants dtv! r u kidding me! my niece has uverse and it blows dtv out of the water in pq!

The op has Uverse and wants dtv! r u kidding me! my niece has uverse and it blows dtv out of the water in pq!

I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Ive compared them for the last 2 years.
On the same tv exact same set up.

I beg to differ. While Uverse has come a long way.
Also a good deal. Its not yet in the same league picture wise
as Direc tv. Lots of micro blocking on Uverse.

I wanted to love Uverse but to honest its just not that good.
But its worth a try. No contract.

Give it a spin...You will be back.

I have both:

Uverse:
While its much improved it still falls short of direc tv.
Its glitchy. The dvrs are not as good as direc.
Vod which I love, has picture issues. Picture stuttering.
I have had Uverse tech out many times and all is good(according to them)

Priceing for Uverse is good. Its cheaper. Bundle pricing is excellent!
However, Quality wise it just is not there.

As far as the whole home Dvr. Direc has it! It works great.

Im getting rid of Uverse tv this week. Quality, equipment
is not great.
On the plus side I will keep the internet and Phone service.

Go direc!!!

I agree with this. I also have both at different locations. The bottom line is that comparing the two gets you apples and oranges.

DirecTV has only one function, and that is to provide quality satellite television to a large number of households.....currently about 20 million in the US. U-verse television is one arm of AT&Ts overall service, and is in about 3 million homes.

Because of its market share, DirecTV aggressively goes after lucrative sporting and other contracts. U-verse simply can't compete in that area.

The technical issues with U-verse also can't be ignored. Their service offers fiber to the node and then copper to the house. The resulting heavy compression that AT&T uses, certainly makes their HD pictures inferior to DirecTV. U-verse HD pictures are ok for most programming, but they really get exposed when you are watching a fast moving sporting event and the artifacts in the pictures become intrusive.

U-verse gives you a great bundle deal and reduces your monthly costs considerably. DirecTV gives you higher quality HD pictures for a higher price.

Take your choice.

I agree with this. I also have both at different locations. The bottom line is that comparing the two gets you apples and oranges.

DirecTV has only one function, and that is to provide quality satellite television to a large number of households.....currently about 20 million in the US. U-verse television is one arm of AT&Ts overall service, and is in about 3 million homes.

Because of its market share, DirecTV aggressively goes after lucrative sporting and other contracts. U-verse simply can't compete in that area.

The technical issues with U-verse also can't be ignored. Their service offers fiber to the node and then copper to the house. The resulting heavy compression that AT&T uses, certainly makes their HD pictures inferior to DirecTV. U-verse HD pictures are ok for most programming, but they really get exposed when you are watching a fast moving sporting event and the artifacts in the pictures become intrusive.

U-verse gives you a great bundle deal and reduces your monthly costs considerably. DirecTV gives you higher quality HD pictures for a higher price.

Take your choice.

well said!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)