STL Locals on 118.7 HD

Ned S

Original poster
Dec 12, 2007
Im a retailer and of lately I have had many complaints on the HD STL local channels 2 and 5. I have peaked dishes, replaced parts but still have problems.
These channels are on sat 118.7 trans 18 or at least thats what the recievers are looking for.
Most customers that are having a problem have a 622.
All have a good signal for the other locals, 4 and 30 on trans 11.
If anyone has had a problem from any of the signals from sat 118.7 and has repaired or had it repaired please let me know.
Thanks,
Ned

my signal is always lower on that tp than on tp 11. right now, i think the recent ice or wind or something slighty moved my dish or something and now I am getting a signal in the 18-20 range. not good, not good at all. I dont' have an answer with you, but i hope you find one as I am having the same problem!

18 -20 you are lucky. The last one I looked at was 5 - 8 with light rain but it still had 45 on trans 11. Believe it or not I cant seem to get any help from tech support. Trust me I am pissed as well. We have suspended upgrades and sell another brand for the new customers.
Thanks for the reply and if I do find a fix I will post it here.

well i believe we had it peaked up to 25 or 30 originally, (after two trips out to my house). First little bit of ice on my dish, just slightly changes the position of the dish and it goes to hell. Only thing I can think of is that the dish 1000+ install is extremely touchy.

well i believe we had it peaked up to 25 or 30 originally, (after two trips out to my house). First little bit of ice on my dish, just slightly changes the position of the dish and it goes to hell. Only thing I can think of is that the dish 1000+ install is extremely touchy.

Yeah same problems I am having. :(

I have installed over 4000 satellite dishes in the STL metro east over the years. I lost count long ago. The dish 1000+ is very touchy and poorly designed.
The Satellites float in sort of a lazy figure 8 in space. Im thinking that it is time to reposition or replace that bird. But that is not under my control.
Usually the house does not move for many years and dereks installer is getting jacked like me with problems that we can't fix.

Please keep the complaints coming before I pull my hair out! There has never been a satellite dish that I could not point perfectly!

I am embarrassed to call Dish again to have them come out to repoint certainly because the channels are now coming in. But with my terrible signal strength I know the first little bit of rain, snow, wind, fairy dust, metorites, etc, that cross the path of my dish I know my signal will be gone. I guess they will be recieving another call. And I will get another POS know nothing 18 year old sub-contractor that knows less than i do to fix the problem!

yeah.... that particular transponder on the 118 sucks. I just get them peaked as absolutely high as possible... and just wait for the calls everytime it rains... then we explain the problem to the customer, and let them know hopefully dish will eventually do something to fix it

I have been a customer for 7 months now, I have had Dish come back out 2 times already due to this problem. They peak the signal then 2-3 months later it is to low to get us through drizzle or heavy cloud cover...:confused:

I have installed over 4000 satellite dishes in the STL metro east over the years. I lost count long ago. The dish 1000+ is very touchy and poorly designed.
The Satellites float in sort of a lazy figure 8 in space. Im thinking that it is time to reposition or replace that bird. But that is not under my control.
Usually the house does not move for many years and dereks installer is getting jacked like me with problems that we can't fix.

Please keep the complaints coming before I pull my hair out! There has never been a satellite dish that I could not point perfectly!

Replace it? They just did. AnikF3 has plenty of fuel for years of service.

already suggested that in another thread.:rolleyes:

Yes, and I plan to do exactly what you said. However, my experience with the Dish 1000 suggests I will not be too successful. However, I figure If I have to call someone out anyway, i can try to adjust it on my own first, if I screw it up, at least they are on their way already!

No need for a :rolleyes:. You need to realize some people aren't as confident in their re-pointing skills as you may be.:yikes

No problem I wasn't sure how you took the other post. It is the big 7 and 10 ft dishes that I defer to others for help in pointing. These small dbs dishes are fairly easy if you have a compass and just move them in small 1/8 in increments.

lazy figure 8 orbit?

am I the only one reading this right? DBS sats has geosynchronous orbits like a full circle. They have about the same speed as the earth's rotation. I do know XM radio do use the lazy figure 8 orbit. DISH & directv are not crazy, so no chance of a lazy figure 8 orbit. :rolleyes: :)

am I the only one reading this right? DBS sats has geosynchronous orbits like a full circle. They have about the same speed as the earth's rotation. I do know XM radio do use the lazy figure 8 orbit. DISH & directv are not crazy, so no chance of a lazy figure 8 orbit. :rolleyes: :)

You're referring to an inclined orbit. XM isn't inclined. The Sirius sats are in a weird figure 8 type of orbit this isn't due to laziness. It is is designed this way to give high "look angles" in the northern part of the states.

Other than the inclined orbit satellites all do sort of float about. The inclined orbit ones such as the Sirius do a kind of a sling shot event. They move constantly but when they pass by another is coming around to take its place with no loss in service. Real tricky stuff amazing actually.

But for our Satellite TV service they are placed but do not stay in the intended location. When they reach the point of customer signal loss or possible collision they are repositioned. Some have actually been moved from one orbital slot to another. The one in question has been moved from 85 deg slot to 118.7 mostly to aid a failure from the sat that was in use at 121w. I wonder if it is out of gas
icon11.gif

All I know is that I have many customers some new, some old from the time the D1000+ first came out. The first ones all worked well but as time went on the complaints came. All good solid homes. Secure dish installs. First it was CH4 now its CH2 and 5 The CH4 issue was resolved but now it is the others. I know it is not my fault, I'm 52 and have been in the Satellite biz since 1992. I have yet to get a straight answer from tech support to resolve this problem. It pisses me off to no end.
Usually when I install a sat system it is DONE and it works for 5 - 8 years without any problems!

If I ever get a response from tech support. I will post it or if you are within 60mi of zip 62226 lets talk about another solution.
hdtvned@yahoo.com

I just had 1000+ installed in 631xx zip code and all works fine. Large oval dish with 2 brackets. Tech said that when they didn't use the 2 brackets he would get call backs. However, I use OTA for my locals

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)