stogie5150's Birdview install

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stogie5150

Crazed Cajun Rebel
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Jan 7, 2007
Slidell,LA
Linuxman and I were talking on the phone the other day about the solution my welder came up with to add on to the B'view 6" pipe to make it workable again, he asked for pics of the finished product, so....

(and sit down Anole, before you say anything, I used maximum resolution just for you ;):D:cool:)

Attachments

• IMG_1703[1].JPG
    IMG_1703[1].JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 266
  • IMG_1705[1].JPG
    IMG_1705[1].JPG
    901.6 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1707[1].JPG
    IMG_1707[1].JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 272
  • finshed birdview.jpg
    finshed birdview.jpg
    865.8 KB · Views: 342
Anole approves

Lookin' real good there, Stogie ! - :up

That going to put your LNB about chest-height?
As long as you have LOS from that low, it should be super easy to work on. :cool:

I'm guessing you had to cut off the original 6" tube at ground level, so that's all ya got?

Lookin' real good there, Stogie ! - :up

That going to put your LNB about chest-height?
As long as you have LOS from that low, it should be super easy to work on. :cool:

I'm guessing you had to cut off the original 6" tube at ground level, so that's all ya got?

Well, there's a 1m P* right next to it that can see from 55w to 148w, so it should be fine. The last picture was taken facing Northeast, so my back was to the arc when I was taking the pic.

Swampman cut the pole off, and I had to cut some more of it off because the bottom was pretty corroded. I ended up cutting off about six inches, and I added four foot of 4" thick wall pipe to it with the plate assembly. I could only dig about 33 inches down the ground is so dry here, but the Paraclipse pole isn't as deep or as big as this one and it holds up fine so I shouldn't have problems. There are four 80# bags of concrete total in the project. The Paraclipse pole took three.

I would guess the LNB at TS will be about 8-10 feet off the ground, if I HAD to take a guess.:)
I don't know exactly how much pole is above the ground right now, I'd say about 5 feet.

Thanks for the kudos. :D

Linuxman and I were talking on the phone the other day about the solution my welder came up with to add on to the B'view 6" pipe to make it workable again, he asked for pics of the finished product, so....

(and sit down Anole, before you say anything, I used maximum resolution just for you ;):D:cool:)

I see you didn't talk the welder into the gussetts! :)

Looks real good and should hold fine.

How far is the top of the pole from the ground?

In a way, similar to mine. My first BUD pole was a 3 1/2 incher. it went through the eaves of my roof. I chopped a not too deep hole in my side concrete walkway at the bottom of the pole, put three rebars in the bottom, "L" shaped. I filled all 18 feet of it up with concrete and filled in the bottom hole up to the walkway surface.

When I got the 6" Birdview mast, I put it over the top of the 3 1/2 incher. But I only had six feet of it, so under the eaves it's still 3 1/2 inches and over it's six. The bottom of the 6 foot Birdview mast basically sits on top of my roof. I cut a ittle port in it near the top and worked it full of concrete.

I think mine is more prone to move than what you have there.

I think what you have will work better than what I have.

I see you didn't talk the welder into the gussetts! :)

Looks real good and should hold fine.

How far is the top of the pole from the ground?

We talked about the gussetts, and knowing what I know about metal, that, done correctly, the weld is stronger than the base metal, we decided that they just weren't necessary. Each side of the plate has two passes all the way around the pipes. That 6" tube will collapse before that weld breaks.:)

Top of the pole is about 5 feet from the ground. I went back outside to show she-who-must-be-obeyed what I did today, and it is about eye level to me, and I am 5' 5" on a tall day....LOL

Nice workmanship, good to see thing reused rather than trashed!

Thanks. :cool:

I drove about 300 miles round trip to get it, least I can do is try to make it work. :D

Top of the pole is about 5 feet from the ground. I went back outside to show she-who-must-be-obeyed what I did today, and it is about eye level to me, and I am 5' 5" on a tall day....LOL
That will put the feed-horn out of reach from the ground even when you lay it over as far as it will go with the gear touching the back of the dish.

My perfed mast top is 50" from ground/roof level and the feed-horn is right at the top of my head for me when all the way over. I'm 6'1" when I can stand straight up. :)

You will need a step-stool of some kind to reach it. :(

That will put the feed-horn out of reach from the ground even when you lay it over as far as it will go with the gear touching the back of the dish.

My perfed mast top is 50" from ground/roof level and the feed-horn is right at the top of my head for me when all the way over. I'm 6'1" when I can stand straight up. :)

You will need a step-stool of some kind to reach it. :(

Brother, I need a step-stool to do most ANYTHING! LOL :D

As long as I can reach it from a ladder, I am golden. :)

Its Coming along....

Took my Uncle's tractor today and set the motor on the pole.....also pulled up the 1m dish that was right next to it and got rid of that....

Attachments

• IMG_1709.JPG
    IMG_1709.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 248
Stogie;

Sweet!

I like the pad with the pvc conduit, nice touch. No rusting out of the pole base at your place.

One of the things I love about this site is the pride and workmanship that folks put into their setups.

Took my Uncle's tractor today and set the motor on the pole.....also pulled up the 1m dish that was right next to it and got rid of that....
:eek::eek::eek::eek: GOT RID OF WHAT ???? :eek::eek::eek::eek:

I hope you just mean you took it down and are saving it for me (or someone else) to come by and pick it up. Or, better yet, you will put it back up in a more choice location :D at your place. Bigger is better, more is better and many more bigger is best! :hungry:

:eek::eek::eek::eek: GOT RID OF WHAT ???? :eek::eek::eek::eek:
I hope you just mean you took it down and are saving it for me (or someone else) to come by and pick it up. Or, better yet, you will put it back up in a more choice location :D at your place. Bigger is better, more is better and many more bigger is best! :hungry:

No, I mean I got rid of it. Rolled over it with the tractor, smashed the motor up with a maul, bent the feed arms in two so no one else could use them...EVER. :cool:

No...just kidding...OF COURSE I set it aside...LOL

The whole idea of using the Birdview is to not have so many dishes in the yard...I am going to set up the Birdview for C/Ku.

Thanks to all for the kudos. I appreciate it. :up

Heat up the tar! - :eek:

I'll bring the feathers! - :up

Let's just be sure we don't accidentally splash any on that nice Birdview, though! ;)

Such talk of destruction, . . . and on a family forum like this! - :D

Heat up the tar! - :eek:

I'll bring the feathers! - :up

Let's just be sure we don't accidentally splash any on that nice Birdview, though! ;)
Such talk of destruction, . . . and on a family forum like this! - :D

Careful!!!

A guy can get tarred and feathered around here just for saying something like that even if he is just kidding. :yikes:

You two remember what happened to the sheriff when he went into the swamp to get Amos Moses, dontcha? Well I ain't THAT far from Thibodeaux, Louisiana.

Just sayin'. :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)