Storm Disruption

Status
Please reply by conversation.
It's sw if you are east of Texas, and se if you are west of Texas. The closer you are to Texas, on either side, the closer to s the line of sight will be.

Chip,
Quite so! When I am in Denver the dish is almost north / south and I use them to navigate around town. I think an idiot proof explanation is needed .....like "southern sky" but a tech actually needs about twenty degrees clearance to hit both the 99 and the 119 instead of the ecpected 180 degrees. Yup when in CA or TX you need a SE LOS.

Joe

I think an idiot proof explanation is needed .....like "southern sky" but a tech actually needs about twenty degrees clearance to hit both the 99 and the 119 instead of the ecpected 180 degrees.
The angle between 99W and 119W in Denver is 30.3 degrees.

The angle between 99W and 119W in Boynton Beach is 23.2 degrees.

Your "idiot proof explanation" isn't what it purports to be as the only CONUS locations that it is valid are in upper Maine and from Anchorage north. Corpus Christi has a 36.4 degree angle and in the Big Bend National Forest of western Texas the angle gets as high as 38.4 degrees.

Stepping across the Pacific to Lihue on the island of Kaua'i, the angle plummets to 11.7 degrees.

This ends today's 3D geography lesson.

The screen I looked at had all numbers in the 97%-100% range, so it is probably fine. The radar showed a red area southwest of us; which I am sure caused my issue. I just didn't know how easy it was to knock out the signal. I will keep track of what the weather is like moving forward.

Bear in mind that precipitation is not the lone factor. Any cloud to cloud or cloud to ground lightining will also interfere with reception. Also a low ceiling and thick cloud cover will do the same.

what will do it for me is very heavy cloud cover. once it starts raining it usually comes back. living in florida myself i can tell you at most i will have 5 outages in a year for only a few minutes.

what will do it for me is very heavy cloud cover. once it starts raining it usually comes back. living in florida myself i can tell you at most i will have 5 outages in a year for only a few minutes.

Rey,
That is real good to know. Since I had one on the first day I had it, I only have four more to go in 2013. :D I did expect some, so I really am glad to know it is that infrequent. Lord knows Comcrap went down more than that.

Rey,
That is real good to know. Since I had one on the first day I had it, I only have four more to go in 2013. :D I did expect some, so I really am glad to know it is that infrequent. Lord knows Comcrap went down more than that.

exactly. i've seen folks around here up to a week without comcrap for whatever reason. i saw your signal levels, they're above 90% so you should be good.

Rey,

And at least with satellite the outage has some rhyme and reason and can even be anticipated to a degree. Signal acting up? Check the southern sky and usually your answer is there. With cable you have no idea what caused it of how long it will be out.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)