Storm Fade - Alaska Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Yes, if you want HD you're at the mercy of physics. The larger dish will in theory give you 4-5 dB gain although some time ago I saw a post from someone who measured it and at Ka frequencies it was only about 2 dB.

It's been peaked. It is above everything else for blocks around so it has an absolute clear view. I am stuck with the amps. My hope was the bigger dish would increase the SNR and allow me to operate in a little heavier weather. Size really isn't a concern, it's hidden from view. The $500-$1000 cost isn't a big deal either considering the overall project cost and vendor assurances (it's on him to fix). But it's sounding like size isn't going to help so I've got the best I'm going to do. I'm pretty disappointed in the storm performance thus far. I may need to look at smoothing out my alternates.

You all have been a great help, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear.
Sorry but money isn't gonna do it ....
Unless you have a way to dissolve storm clouds ....
Like Tex and others have said, you'll pick up a little in the larger dish, but not enough to justify the effort and money involved.

Sorry but money isn't gonna do it ....
Unless you have a way to dissolve storm clouds ....
Like Tex and others have said, you'll pick up a little in the larger dish, but not enough to justify the effort and money involved.

I appreciate all the help. This particular vendor has been cutting corners from day 1. It's been a battle just to get them to achieve specs. The fact they appear to be right is more by accident I suspect. But, I'll make the best of what I have and work on my alternate systems.

Thanks.

I appreciate all the help. This particular vendor has been cutting corners from day 1. It's been a battle just to get them to achieve specs. The fact they appear to be right is more by accident I suspect. But, I'll make the best of what I have and work on my alternate systems.

Thanks.
Switch to a commercial system and bring your signal the 600 feet at a lower frequency.

Switch to a commercial system and bring your signal the 600 feet at a lower frequency.
Showing my ignorance (which is why I PAID SOMEONE TO DO THIS) I thought I HAD a commercial system. I PAID for a commercial system.

Even if you could do it, it would NOT HELP. It's the frequency the signal is transmitted on that is the problem. Even if you were 25 ft from the dish, you would have the same issue.

Reactions: alnielsen and Jimbo
Yeah, I missed that the first two times I read through the thread. Switching to SD during weather is your next best approach. That's what I do.

The Alaska Dish is not going to solve your issue.

I installed one at the federal building 3 years ago.

There was no improvement on the KA signals for 99/103 where I actually went back to a slimline dish.

The biggest issue is you can't install a dish heater on it, and there is no skew or elevation settings.

Very difficult to align.

Me?

There is really only 1 amp and polarity locker you use on a D2 distribution system.

The OP is better getting a bigger dish for 101 only and running a separate system and have a few rain proof channels

I was curious about the OP's. I don't feel like the bigger dish is going to help from what I'm reading

The Alaska Dish is not going to solve your issue.

I installed one at the federal building 3 years ago.

There was no improvement on the KA signals for 99/103 where I actually went back to a slimline dish.

The biggest issue is you can't install a dish heater on it, and there is no skew or elevation settings.

Very difficult to align.

Dude. Check your messages

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts