Strange. Both VIP 612s exhibit jittery locals, but not my 722k

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Guys,

I don't watch locals a lot, so I'm not sure how long it has been going on, but it has been happening for at least a few weeks. It doesn't happen all of the time, but quite often my locals have jittery audio/video. Not always, but often enough that it is irritating. I had to watch a football game off the antenna on Saturday. Both of my 612s exhibit this. However, my 722k does not. That makes little sense to me. Has anyone else noticed this? Does anyone have any ideas at all? Yes, I've reset/unplugged/checked switch etc. To reiterate, I've never seen this issues on my other channels--just locals. Any advice or information would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Central Texas but am on the Eastern Arc.

Have you tried resetting the receivers? What about checking cables? What is your zip code as well?

Yes, I've reset both receivers. I've also unplugged them. I guess I haven't checked the cables (which cables?), but it is 2 different receivers of the same model exhibiting the same issue, which seems unlikely to be a cabling issue--at least to me. I'm in 76657.

You will want to make sure the SAT IN cables are tight. We do not show any known issues with the Waco, TX locals. How often does this happen? How long does it happen for?

My 612 will occasionally show "jittery" video, but it clears up on its own. It usually will just be a single channel (I'll switch to another channel and switch back and the jitter will remain on the first channel). This happens on both sat and locals.

Swap the antenna COAX cable from the 722K, to one of the 612's and see if the problem still happens.

It could be you have a 3-way antenna splitter somewhere, and the sides going to the 612's has gone bad in some way.

are the 2 612s on one side of the power line while the 722 is on the other side? Not long ago a transformer got flakey on one side. lights flickered. electronics wierd, UPS intermittent beeping.

I put my VOM one side of 120 volts was fine. the other side unstable.

I called the power company who called me back thanking for my info:) they replaced a transformer down the street

No, voltage shouldn't be a problem. One 612 is in the old part of my house where the 722 is. The other is in an addition.

I just cannot understand also why it would just be the local channels exhibiting this behavior...or at least I've just noticed it on locals. For example, this past Saturday ABC and FOX were both doing it, but when I switched to something like ESPN, all was well.

How do I find out if it is a signal strength issue? How can I test the correct transponder for my locals? I'm not sure how to look that up. What is an acceptable signal strength? I'm just wondering if maybe a borderline signal could cause issues on the 612s but not on the 722 for some reason. The fact that these are on a spotbeam is also one difference between the locals and the non-locals. Other than that, I'm stumped.

Oh, sounds like you are having issues with local channels, but satellite broadcast locals. if so, that issue is pretty odd.

I thought you meant local channels you scanned in from a regular tv antenna.

On problem channel, menu-6-1-1 will tell you which transponder you're on and what it's signal quality is. I'm surprised this is happening since spotbeams are so hot. They're no doubt all on one sat (61.5).

Hmm. Interesting. I think I went to 6-1-1 -- I assume this is the setup/signal strength meter, right? I couldn't get anything to register for whatever transponder it was on at that time. The channel was still working (jerkily) but I never got a signal strength reading. That's when I thought that it must not be looking at the right transponder.

Oh, sounds like you are having issues with local channels, but satellite broadcast locals. if so, that issue is pretty odd.

I thought you meant local channels you scanned in from a regular tv antenna.

Right. That is correct. The locals broadcast via Dish are what is jerky. They only real difference I could think of is that they are on a spotbeam. However, my 722 isn't showing these symptoms. When I went to the local channel and then went to setup to try to see the signal strength I never could get it to register, which was strange. I just assumed that it was on the wrong transponder, since I could go to other transponders and get signal readings. I'll check again when I get home tonight.

You will want to make sure the SAT IN cables are tight. We do not show any known issues with the Waco, TX locals. How often does this happen? How long does it happen for?

Matt,

This has been going on for weeks. It is hard to say how often, but pretty darn often. For example, this past Saturday afternoon I was watching football games on ABC. I started watching around noon and it was pretty unwatchable due to the jerkiness of the audio/video. I hooked an antenna up directly to the TV and began watching that way. Every 30-60 minutes I would check back to see if the Dish broadcast was better because I sometimes like to pause games, etc. Finally, around 5:30-6:00pm it cleared up.

On Monday night, Dancing with the Stars was 2 hours long. During the first 1.5 hours it was fine. The last half hour was very glitchy.

Those are just a couple of examples. As I stated before, when it was doing it on one 612, it seemed to be doing it on the OTHER 612. However, by 722 was NOT showing this symptom.

PS. My cables are tight. I've checked.

Matt,

This has been going on for weeks. It is hard to say how often, but pretty darn often. For example, this past Saturday afternoon I was watching football games on ABC. I started watching around noon and it was pretty unwatchable due to the jerkiness of the audio/video. I hooked an antenna up directly to the TV and began watching that way. Every 30-60 minutes I would check back to see if the Dish broadcast was better because I sometimes like to pause games, etc. Finally, around 5:30-6:00pm it cleared up.

On Monday night, Dancing with the Stars was 2 hours long. During the first 1.5 hours it was fine. The last half hour was very glitchy.

Those are just a couple of examples. As I stated before, when it was doing it on one 612, it seemed to be doing it on the OTHER 612. However, by 722 was NOT showing this symptom.

PS. My cables are tight. I've checked.
OK, I'm confused. Are you watching OTA through your 612 when this happens or are you watching SATELLITE DELIVERED locals through the 612 when it happens? I believe the satellite delivered locals will be xx-0 and the OTA delivered ones will be xx-1, xx-2, or xx-3.

OK, I'm confused. Are you watching OTA through your 612 when this happens or are you watching SATELLITE DELIVERED locals through the 612 when it happens? I believe the satellite delivered locals will be xx-0 and the OTA delivered ones will be xx-1, xx-2, or xx-3.

I am watching SATELLITE DELIVERED locals through the 612 when it happens.