Strange iphone problem discovered.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
Ever since I switched to my iphone 6+ I have been getting some of my wife's phone calls on my phone.

She has an iphone 5 on the family plan account. I have an iphone 6+

When a phone call comes in to her phone and number, it will ring a few times and then rather than go to voice mail, it rings my phone and I answer it. Why doesn't her non-answered inbound calls go to voice mail?

Is there a setting that is wrong somewhere? Note only change to her phone since seeing this problem is we upgraded to iOS 8.3 and added the Apple watch ( which shouldn't have anything to do with this problem)

Actually a result of a test we just did, an inbound call to my wife's phone rings my phone as well, at the same time.

I'm researching auto Call Forwarding a new feature added by Verizon as this may be the problem.

I don't know if this is the answer but check under facetime settings for the "iPhone Cellular Calls" setting. Not sure which device would be the one to check and disable to try.

First, what happens when you call her from your 6+ and she doesn't answer?

Second, I'm sure a Genius Bar visit would fix it, if it came down to that.

First, what happens when you call her from your 6+ and she doesn't answer?

I see another call coming in from me! This is crazy.

We don't have any geniuses working at our Apple store. Yesterday, I went in to buy Apple Care + for our watches and it took them 45 minutes to figure out how to do that. I'll have to call Verizon tech support I guess. We left it ring and ring and after about 15 rings, her line finally went to voice mail. AND, so did mine!

sounds like you have call forwarding enabled.

To turn off Call Forwarding: AT&T

1. Dial #21# on your wireless device.
  2. Press the Call, Send, Talk, or Receiver key. Your wireless device displays a confirmation message when Call Forwarding deactivates.
To turn off Call Forwarding: Verizon
  1. Dial *73.
  2. Press the call button and wait for confirmation. You should hear a confirmation tone or message.
  3. End your call.

Reactions: Foxbat and navychop
Scott: That was a good hint. I had to disconnect my wife's phone and email from icloud and facetime. Then reboot the phone and add her email and number back in after signing on icloud using her phone. Next I got several popup bubbles asking on my phone if it is OK to add her email and number to my icloud account. Answered yes to all and then back in the settings for facetime unchecked her email address. I'm not sure that last step was required but everything appears to be working now. Still have to check out facetime.

sounds like you have call forwarding enabled.

To turn off Call Forwarding:

1. Dial #21# on your wireless device.
  2. Press the Call, Send, Talk, or Receiver key. Your wireless device displays a confirmation message when Call Forwarding deactivates.

That wasn't it, but FYI on Verizon it's *72 to turn on and *73 to shut off. I never had call forwarding turned on.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple and iOS. Where everything "just works". :D

On a serious note, thats odd. Ive never had the issue so I would not know what to tell you. Hopefully advice already given is the answer.

While I enjoy facetime, I have had issues with imessage in the past not delivering my group messages, I finally just disabled it, also while I have unlimited data not everyone does, imessage uses data where a regular sms doesn't and everyone has unlimited txt now days....

Yup the same happened to me and my wife Don, and it was the Facetime settings, it showed both our info on both phones, had to make it so it only showed my number and email on my phone and her number and email only on her phone and the problem went away. Its actually a function of the Hand off feature.

My wife uses Facetime with the grandkids and the data was never an issue.

But thanks to Scott's hint, I got it set now where there is no longer both phones ringing on inbound calls to her phone, and Facetime also works on both phones and to each other. Aside from having the email and phone numbers properly checked that are on my account, the button "iphone cellular calls" had to be switched off.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Apple and iOS. Where everything "just works". :D
I hear ya! But the difference between all these settings on Android and iOS is Apple has a Genius Bar. :D

Reactions: Ronnie-
One day I will fix my son's iPhone so Siri doesn't think he's my wife. He doesn't dare use it in front of his friends!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)