Strange issue with DVR+ remote

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobmckenzie

Original poster
Jan 19, 2006
Just got the two DVR+ units installed with two lines to each and intl. dish thanks to a competent installer.

However, the remotes function in a wierd way that I wanted to check out. (Note these are DirecTV DVR+ units rather than the TIVO DVR units). I have a Panasonic TV and to power the TV off with the satellite remote, I was told I have to slide the selector switch over from D to TV (extreme left to extreme right) and press the main power button under the selector switch twice before the TV will turn off.

If you leave the remote in D mode and press the TV off button, it powers of the receiver but not the TV - you get the lack of signal screen on the TV :confused:

Is there nothing I can do to program this remote any differently? I can't see everyone in the house (esp my wife) being happy with this strange situation.

Any help gratefully received!

directv remotes are NOT guaranteed to perform all functions on all tvs. i tell my subs the only thing it is guaranteed to work is the IRD.

You do leave the remote on DTV and use the TV pwr off button to turn off the TV and receiver. If only the reciever turns off, press the TV pwr on button to turn the TV back on. This will sync the TV and receiver. Next press the TV pwr off button and both the TV and receiver will pwr off at the same time.

dgar2 said:
You do leave the remote on DTV and use the TV pwr off button to turn off the TV and receiver. If only the reciever turns off, press the TV pwr on button to turn the TV back on. This will sync the TV and receiver. Next press the TV pwr off button and both the TV and receiver will pwr off at the same time.

on MOST common tvs

Panasonic is one of many brands whose codes don't punch-through the ON & OFF commands to DTV device. It does or it doesn't, theres nothing that can change that.

Last edited:
I had that issue on my Toshiba, and what I did was try a different code since, when I programmed it the first time for my tv, I stopped at the first code that worked, then I realized it had the problem you describe, so I still had like 4 codes left to try, so I tried them, and lo and behold one of the other codes worked right, and now the tv shuts off along with the STB like it should, it may not apply to you, but something you can try.

Last edited:
damaged said:
I had that issue on my Toshiba, and what I did was try a different code since, when I programmed it the first time for my tv, I stopped at the first code that worked, then I realized it had the problem you describe, so I still had like 4 codes left to try, so I tried them, and lo and behold one of the other codes worked right, and now the tv shuts off along with the STB like it should, it may not apply to you, but something you can try.

I know for a fact that none of the toshiba tv codes listed under toshiba, will punch-through the ON & OFF commands. But, there is a code that will, its listed under Apex & Changhong, its TV code 10765.

Sorry, when I stated "it may not apply to you", I should have clarified why, by saying I do not have the model STB as the OP (I know this because mine is not a DVR). The toshiba (or any other manufacturer) codes in my STB may differ from the model in question.

Edmund said:
I know for a fact that none of the toshiba tv codes listed under toshiba, will punch-through the ON & OFF commands. But, there is a code that will, its listed under Apex & Changhong, its TV code 10765.

I had issues with my Toshiba not turning off with the TV on/off button, but I've changed it to the above code, and it works perfectly. Thanks for the info.

"try the toshiba TV code", has always been the standard answer for Apex Tv owners on Remotecentral and Tivocommunity. Now its other way around.:)

Edmund said:

Just got my R15 installed day before yesterday (getting in under the wire), and tried the steps you mentioned for my Toshiba, and it worked like a dream. Thanks!

Now if D* will go ahead and turn on XM Chill like they originally promised....

M

Edmund said:

Thanks for the info, I recently swtiched to the DVR, and I have a toshiba. The wife was not likeing the fact she had to switch things around to turn the TV off!. The code worked!!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts