Strange remote control mal-function problem

happy hopping

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 8, 2009
North America
On the VIP 222, the 2nd remote control that I use, for days, without touching the remote control as it was sitting on the table, somehow it acts as if some1 is touching it.

At the beginning, I thought it's myself who accidentally touches the buttons, but it seems odd as I don't think I did. So on Fri., I put the remote on the cabinet, and it has been sitting there and I am positive that I didn't touch it. And since I'm the only 1 in the house, the remote is totally untouched. Then as the show was recorded, it shows a no. of buttons was moved around, switching to different channels, etc.

Today, same thing, the TV wasn't even on, and yet on the 2nd remote, it says I try to order a movie.

The only thing I can guess is, some neighbor has the same signal and that signal is sending to my house. For now, I remove the battery in the 2nd remote.

The 1st remote and its display is just fine.

has any1 seen this odd problem?

Your neighbor has the same UHF remote address. You need to change the address of your TV2 remote.

Press menu twice on the remote. The System info screen should come up. Press and hold the satellite button on the remote until it flashes. Enter a number different from the one shown on System Info for TV2. For 7 for example, press 07, then the # key. Remote will flash three times. Now press the record button.

The remote address should change on the System Info screen if you have done it correctly.

thanks for the tip. Would this kind of things affect Remote 1 as well?

EDIT:

while I was in the middle of doing the above, I accidentally press 7# instead of 07#. Now BOTH TV1 & TV2 remote is not responding. The satellite button lights up when I push it, but never happens. What can I do to fix it?

Last edited:
as of now, no buttons work on neither remote, even the sys. info. button doesn't work. I can press the SAT button, that's about it. Even the power on/off button doesn't work. I also try to use the power button on the unit to turn off and re-boot, same thing, the remote doesn't response.

I wish I haven't done any of these

when I forgot to push the 0, rather just the 7#, and notice it doesn't work, I try to repeat the above. And when that doesn't work. I switch to Remote 1, trying to do the above with remote 1, and when that doesn't work, then that's when I can't get out of that menu, so I push the power button on the main unit. Now, all remote is dead

Since you didn't press record, according to the 222 the remote addy is still whatever number it was. Now you need to get the pic back up. So if you see the screen saver on tv1 then press select on front panel. If not just pull plug and put back in. When it comes back press sysinfo on frontpanel and change address on both remotes to something different and press record once on each remote after doing that. And then both remotes should work. If the front panel never brings up the system info after reset then make sure it is actually looking at tv1 and not tv2

If you press record on both remotes while in the Sys Info screen it will reset them.

thanks for the help. I done the above, now I can get my Remote 1 to work. And it says
Primary Remote Address 7 [1] IR
Secondary Remote Address 1 [2] UHF Pro Band A

And as of now, remote 2 is not responding, should I go thru the exercise page 1, changing the address for remote control 2?
And why is Primary Remote Address at 7, should I change it back to 1? If so, how?

There's no need to change TV1's address if it's working. To fix TV2 remote (This works on all remotes, it also changes the remote's address):

1) Go to TV1, and press system info on the front of the receiver (System info pops up on TV1's screen)
2) On the remote, press and hold "SAT" until all of the lights on the top of the remote light up
3) When you release "SAT" it should be flashing
4) Press any number 1-15 on the remote's keypad
5) Press "#" (the "SAT" button flashes 3 times confirming a good number has been entered)
6) Press record (you may need to press it more than once)
7) The remote address on the system info screen should change to whatever number you pressed in step 4.

Test the remote and you should be up and running.

thanks Matthew, I finally got the above to work. Believe it or not, for a brief moment, I thought it's the spirit of my pet who passed away last year, pressing those buttons. And I'm glad I fix it

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)