Strange remote issue on VIP722k

David Taylor

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
I have a VIP 722k DVR. For a while my remote (a 21.0 IR/UHF) has been flakey. It doesn't seem to respond. I have to either hold the buttons down a long time or hit them multiple times. Here's what is strange: I accidentally discovered that when I put my hand over the IR sensor on the remote it works great--almost perfect. When I uncover the sensor on the remote it goes back to acting flakey. It is like the IR signal is somehow screwing up the UHF signal. I tried putting electric tape over the IR eye on the receiver and it did not have the same effect. I can't just put tape over the end of the remote, because I need the IR to work for other components.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've changed remote channels and it doesn't seem to help. Thoughts?

Does sound odd...perhaps the remote is going bad? Contact DIRT...I bet they would replace it for next to nothing.

If you are using the IR for nothing but external components, I believe the 722 has an IR option that is probably enabled. Try disabling it and see if that fixes your issue. The IR option is for use with IR only remotes like Harmony , etc... I'm thinking that you are confusing the 722 with both IR and UHF commands at the same time. It's worth a try anyway...

If you are using the IR for nothing but external components, I believe the 722 has an IR option that is probably enabled. Try disabling it and see if that fixes your issue. The IR option is for use with IR only remotes like Harmony , etc... I'm thinking that you are confusing the 722 with both IR and UHF commands at the same time. It's worth a try anyway...
The 722 does not have an IR option that is only the Hoppers. IR is enabled at all times (and is addressable) on the 722

Reactions: charlesrshell
Do you have a Visio TV? There's other threads about this issue. Long story short, the power saver mode on TV puts out interference that makes the receiver not "see" the signal from the remote. All TVs with power saver have issue but Vizio TVs seem to cause trouble the most. To reduce effect, place receiver as far in front of TV as possible.

I don't know why, but sometimes my 722 remote is "sluggish" too... Sometimes I noticed if I aim the remote straight up towards ceiling it actually responds better.. Perhaps you're doing the same thing as me (except by different way) when you put your hand over the eye.

I have a VIP 722k DVR. For a while my remote (a 21.0 IR/UHF) has been flakey. It doesn't seem to respond. I have to either hold the buttons down a long time or hit them multiple times. Here's what is strange: I accidentally discovered that when I put my hand over the IR sensor on the remote it works great--almost perfect. When I uncover the sensor on the remote it goes back to acting flakey. It is like the IR signal is somehow screwing up the UHF signal. I tried putting electric tape over the IR eye on the receiver and it did not have the same effect. I can't just put tape over the end of the remote, because I need the IR to work for other components.

Has anyone else experienced this? I've changed remote channels and it doesn't seem to help. Thoughts?
Placing your hand at the front end of the remote could also be changing the RF, possibly making a better signal. If the antenna on the back of the 722 is in a strange position or disconnected/broken this could be the root of your problem. Or the remote could just be bad.

Doesn't the remote work either in RF OR IR mode depending on how it's set up? I wouldn't think it would send both at the same time.

Try burying the remote under a couch cushion to fully eliminate any IR transmission as an additional test, but I suspect this isn't going to be any different than the remote without your hand on the end.

The buttons on remotes do go bad so if it's just the commonly used buttons you find flakey, then it's time to replace it.

Just some thoughts. Hope something helps.

Nope, not a Vizio tv. It is a Sony. I've PMing with one of the DiRT guys so hopefully we will get it figured out. The switch on the remote is set to UHF and the System Info screen says it is IR/UHF. I don't think there is a way to turn off IR. I don't see one.

make certain the remote antenna on the rear of the 722 is secure.

try loosening it all the way and replace, if you have some contact cleaner it cant hurt just a tiny amount

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts