Streaming between ViP receivers

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

DISH_NC

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 6, 2006
Raleigh, NC
Not sure if this has been asked or anyone has thought of this, but does anyone know if DISH plans to offer an software upgrade to the ViP receivers that would allow any ViP receiver in a household connected to the LAN to playback content from it's attached hard drive?

We have a ViP622 and 2 ViP211s and sometimes it would be nice to watch a program recorded on one ViP receiver on another. It wouldn't even require the receivers to Stream content per-se (bad choice of Title - we have Slingboxes that allow that), but really each receiver would just securely access the onboard or attached hard drive (preferably in Read-Only mode)...

With the Cable Companies and Directv advertising multi-room playback capability, I can't believe that DISH would be doing nothing to provide this feature.

Dish Network is working on a whole home DVR. See this thread about the new 813 and 110 receivers. It does not look like Dish will be offering streaming from the VIP line of receivers (other than with Sling).

We saw at Team Summit a working demonstration of files being copied between 922's.

Will it ever get released? Who know but we do know it can work. :)

Wow - that would be disappointing that receivers that already have Ethernet connectivity can't 'securely share' their storage between receivers. The only thing we can do currently is and I hate to use the term, sneakernet. And even then, it's only between the ViP211s - moving hard drives is really not the answer....

As much as I have enjoyed being a DISH customer for 14 years, I find they sometimes can really drop the ball technically....

Well since the 722k and the 922 have pretty similar hardware that would mean it can work for the other receivers as well.

As I said it was just a proof of concept. If it sees the light of day or not... who knows.

I know the studios do not like their content being shared between devices. And DISH needs to work to make the studios happy.

Wow - that would be disappointing that receivers that already have Ethernet connectivity can't 'securely share' their storage between receivers. The only thing we can do currently is and I hate to use the term, sneakernet. And even then, it's only between the ViP211s - moving hard drives is really not the answer....

As much as I have enjoyed being a DISH customer for 14 years, I find they sometimes can really drop the ball technically....

They also like to move in entirely different directions after working on something for over 2 years. The 922 and sling has been their focus for going on two years and now they are going to move to the Xip 813/110 whole house dvr concept. They still haven't delivered on the Sling Extender for tv 2 in hd , the whole reason I wanted the 922 for in the first place. That and a built in web browser , that will NEVER happen now. No processing speed for a web browser . If you want one you have to buy the google revue unit ,which I did. Remember the web tv dishplayer from 1999? It had a small hard drive ,but had a built in web browser- minus flash of course. After Microsoft and Echostar/DISH had a legal fall out the dishplayers never worked as good again.

DISH often spends a lot of time on something that they will then abandon entirely, for another different direction . While DISH kept coming out with different models of the Vip series ,first the 622, then the 722 bigger hard drive , then the 722k with a ota module and a bigger hard drive and finally the 922 with the ota module and biggest hard drive of all, DIRECTV was releasing Multi-room viewing and networking their receivers in the house so anyone could watch anything on the dvr or dvrs in the house. DISH kept creating the same dvr with bigger hard drives, ota module and then built in sling that was not even needed if you add the sling adapter to your existing 722/722k dvrs. They were still doing tv 1 in HD and tv 2 in SD. Directv has now taken the lead in technology and DISH is trying to play catch up , and eventually ONE up over DIRECTV ,since their whole house dvr will be better ,once it is up and running.

They also like to move in entirely different directions after working on something for over 2 years. The 922 and sling has been their focus for going on two years and now they are going to move to the Xip 813/110 whole house dvr concept. They still haven't delivered on the Sling Extender for tv 2 in hd , the whole reason I wanted the 922 for in the first place. That and a built in web browser , that will NEVER happen now. No processing speed for a web browser . If you want one you have to buy the google revue unit ,which I did. Remember the web tv dishplayer from 1999? It had a small hard drive ,but had a built in web browser- minus flash of course. After Microsoft and Echostar/DISH had a legal fall out the dishplayers never worked as good again.

DISH often spends a lot of time on something that they will then abandon entirely, for another different direction . While DISH kept coming out with different models of the Vip series ,first the 622, then the 722 bigger hard drive , then the 722k with a ota module and a bigger hard drive and finally the 922 with the ota module and biggest hard drive of all, DIRECTV was releasing Multi-room viewing and networking their receivers in the house so anyone could watch anything on the dvr or dvrs in the house. DISH kept creating the same dvr with bigger hard drives, ota module and then built in sling that was not even needed if you add the sling adapter to your existing 722/722k dvrs. They were still doing tv 1 in HD and tv 2 in SD. Directv has now taken the lead in technology and DISH is trying to play catch up , and eventually ONE up over DIRECTV ,since their whole house dvr will be better ,once it is up and running.

Yeah - well after having recently upgraded my last 50x series DVRs for 211s, I don't think I will be upgrading for a while.. And the last thing I need, with 2TB of programs archived on my 622 EHD, is upgrade to a new technology that doesn't support the archive drives... It's bad enough that you can't interchange the EHDs from the 622s to the 211s... I'll probably build some cheap Media PCs so I can Sling the other receivers to the HDTVs in the other rooms....

I don' t plan to upgrade to any thing newer other than the sling extender. At least for this year. IF the 813 looks like something really good I might think about upgrading. But I got burnt with the whole 922 upgrade that I bought and had to trade back in for a new 722k. And as everyone should know by now , DISH new receiver concepts are buggy as hell and take a while to work well. The 922 took most of last year and did not function properly till the end of last year when they finally enabled independent tv 2 to work like the 722/722k do.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts