STREAMING from AZBox > PC

AcWxRadar

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 26, 2006
40 miles NW of Omaha. Omaha?
It was a cold blustery night and I was trying to stay warm by the fire when all of a sudden a note flew in from Stargaze, "Oh No!" I thought what does he want to try out now?" Sure enough, he was sending details on streaming the Azbox all over his 200 year old building, and wouldn't you know it, the Azbox was not doing as he planned. "Rats" I screamed! I knew what was about to happen, Stargaze refuses to quit and the word "can't" is not in his vocabulary. So I quickly shot off an explanation of how the procedure worked for me at one time and thought ok, that will settle that. Wrong!
Not only was the procedure incorrect but that mad-man went all the way across to the other side of the pond to find the one and I mean one minor detail (a little @ sign) that made this thing work like a charm. After he spent 19 and 1/2 hours straight, on his trek to get this issue put to rest, and made me work on my day off to help out no less, together we came up with the following tutorial on how to properly stream your Azbox to your computer...

Last edited:
STREAMING video from the AZBox to your PC

How to stream video from the AZBox to your PC via WiFi connection

This procedure is only applicable for streaming the received satellite signal and does not provide a means for streaming any of the files on your HDD (including programs that you have previously recorded from the satellite).

There are two operational steps involved here.
1] Starting the streaming broadcast from the AZBox.
2] Starting the streaming reception on your PC

1] STARTING THE STREAMING BROADCAST FROM THE AZBOX

In the TV mode (viewing a satellite channel) press the MENU button on the remote. Scroll down the list of options to highlight STREAMING and press OK. You will now be prompted to enter an IP address, a PORT number and a time DURATION for the broadcast.

IP address: Enter the IP address of your PC
PORT: Enter 9000
DURATION: Select NOT DEFINE for continuous streaming with no time to end.
Note: You may select any duration from 1 minute to 24 hours here if desired.

After these entries have been made, scroll down to highlight START and press OK.
An LED on your AZBox will illuminate and the streaming broadcast should be in process. (On the Premium Plus, the RED LED will turn on.)

2] STARTING THE STREAMING RECEPTION ON YOUR PC

You will need the application file VLC MEDIA PLAYER installed on your PC. There are differences in how the versions of VLC operate, so you will have to adjust your setup in this process to compensate for these differences. Tested versions of VLC here were 1.0.5 and 1.1.5. We will discuss how to modify your steps for each version.

VLC VERSION 1.0.5

Open your VLC application program and in the media player’s toolbar, select MEDIA. From the drop-down list, select OPEN NETWORK STREAM. The new page that opens will set up the media stream selections.

If you have an older version of VLC, such as this (1.0.5), you will see a box for entering the protocol language for the streaming technique. If you click on the drop down arrow, you will see the selections. Locate, highlight and select the UDP (User Datagram Protocol) option.

You will then be prompted to enter an IP address in the next box. Here, you can enter either your computer’s IP address or the universal streaming address which is 224.1.1.100

The next box to the right of the IP address entry requires a port address to be entered. Enter 9000 for this selection.

Quickie example shown below.

[PROTOCOL] [IP ADDRESS] [PORT]
i.e. [UDP] [192.168.1.101] [9000]

After these boxes have been filled out, you can then navigate to and click on the PLAY button at the bottom of the screen and the streaming video should begin.

VLC 1.1.5 VERSION

In the more recent, updated versions of VLC, such as 1.1.5, you will
not be prompted for or allowed to select the UDP protocol, but it is still required. The UDP protocol and the selected port number will now be required to be entered all in one string, in one box. It is assumed that you understand the background information and know how to enter the string appropriately.

Open your VLC media player application. Click on MEDIA and from the drop down menu, select OPEN NETWORK STREAM, just like you do with the other versions.

The display will be entirely different and there isn’t any specific or dedicated boxes to enter your information in. There is only one box that prompts you to enter a network URL.

In this box, you must enter the protocol type, IP address and the port number in its entirety as a whole address, examples shown below:

udp://@(my pc’s IP address):9000 Example: udp://@198.162.1.101:9000

or

udp://@224.1.1.100:9000

You can take the entire address just above, udp://@224.1.1.100:9000, copy and paste it into your VLC’s address bar and then click on PLAY and it will open the stream right off. If you type it in manually, remember to include the “@” symbol in the address when using this version of VLC.

This information should get you to the basics required. You will have to adapt to any variations that may present themselves within your own system, but we will follow up with more information here as it presents itself.

Keep looking up!

RADAR

Last edited:
After stargaze made me stay up to write this all down he informed me of the next Azbox project! Good Grief! Not even finished one thing and he is on to the next one, but if it works well all I can say is STAY TUNED !
Oh, don't go asking too many questions, or he may pull you into this maddening mess and you won't be able to get away or get any rest.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all you Azbox users!

Don't forget to leave Santa a "COOKIE" and some milk!

From STARGAZE and RADAR

Adding a shortcut

If you get this streaming operation from the AZBox to your PC functioning, there is a shortcut that you can apply to reduce the typing keystrokes to start it up again. While you have this streaming active, click on MEDIA in the VLC's toolbar and select "SAVE PLAYLIST FILE TO:"

In the option box "SAVE IN" location, select your destination file location as "desktop" and then assign it a file name (down at the bottom) such as "OPEN AZBOX STREAM" and leave the default file type set to "XSPF playlist (*.xspf)".

Now, you can close your VLC program. To restart it automatically with one click - just locate the VLC cone ICON on your desktop named "OPEN AZBOX STREAM" and click on it! A one step operation.

Really Nice.

RADAR

Changing Channels during the streaming broadcast

You cannot change channels on the AZBox without interrupting the streaming activity... UNLESS you change to a channel on the SAME satellite TP.

This is limiting, but really neat to test when you have the streaming operation already underway. Here is why:

Select a satellite that has more than one channel active on one specific transponder. Start the streaming process on one channel. Then, switch to another channel on the same transponder and you are able to watch two progams simultaneously! The original channel on the streaming feed remains displayed on your PC and the newly selected channel is displayed on your TV!

Try it for yourself! It is really wild.

This could come in handy if you are trying or wanting to watch two sporting events simultaneously (as long as they are broadcast on the same sat and TP).

RADAR

As Stargaze stated to me, there is more to come! So...

Stay Tuned!

It's almost Christmas and Santa will be checking his list and checking it twice, so be sure not to be naughty, but to be "nice"!! :)

RADAR,

Thanks for the instructions, will give it a try next year. Now if the AZBox HD Remote Control utility could be used for changing channels, along with dropping the stream and starting it back up , you would have a great setup (not to give Stargaze more ideas :)).

RADAR,

Thanks for the instructions, will give it a try next year. Now if the AZBox HD Remote Control utility could be used for changing channels, along with dropping the stream and starting it back up , you would have a great setup (not to give Stargaze more ideas :)).

That may have to wait till we can see if the current project works like I am thinking it might. If it does Radar will be really busy typing things up and it won't be a minor thing.

I may also have a small utility to post here that may help some who can not get their computers to stream, but I can not do that for another day or two, my pc has been extremely busy for the past two days non-stop and I have to wait till I finish up what I am working on first.

I found that this little file helped on one of my premium receivers that did not want to stream.

---------------------------------------------------------
In Azbox when watching a channel, press "MENU" on your Remote Control and select "Streaming".
Now in "Duration" put the time that you want in minutes, or select (not defined) and you will have the streaming activated without time limits.

now unzip this file below on your computer

Then on your PC, open the m3u file with VLC which is inside the zipped file.
in VLC go to media : open file: (then locate the file you just unzipped named.. (Streaming Azbox)
You should have the streaming working in VLC with your PC.

Just for the record: I am using VLC 1.1.5
I do not know how this file will work on earlier versions.

Attachments

• Streaming AZbox.zip
    158 bytes · Views: 276
If you get this streaming operation from the AZBox to your PC functioning, there is a shortcut that you can apply to reduce the typing keystrokes to start it up again. While you have this streaming active, click on MEDIA in the VLC's toolbar and select "SAVE PLAYLIST FILE TO:"

In the option box "SAVE IN" location, select your destination file location as "desktop" and then assign it a file name (down at the bottom) such as "OPEN AZBOX STREAM" and leave the default file type set to "XSPF playlist (*.xspf)".

Now, you can close your VLC program. To restart it automatically with one click - just locate the VLC cone ICON on your desktop named "OPEN AZBOX STREAM" and click on it! A one step operation.

Really Nice.

RADAR

NOTE HERE:

If you have more than one UDP address listed in the PLAYLIST, this shortcut may not function. Depends upon which UDP address is at the top of the playlist. Select VIEW > PLAYLIST and delete all addresses except the one that you always intend to use. Than you can save that playlist to your desktop under the specific name that you desire.

RADAR

Hey AcWxRadar,

I didn't see this post and had to refigure a way to do this as well because my Azbox didn't like the file format and VLC had no problem.

I'm using VLC 1.1.5, but in unicast I just entered the IP address of my Azbox (destination) and the port:9000. [192.168.xxx.xxx:9000] No udp://@ was needed.
On the Azboz I when to Settings/TV Channel/IPChannel. There I used UDP, entered my computer's IP address (source), port:9000, and buffer:256

This saves the stream as a channel that can be found in the sat list under IPChannel and save to your favorites.

Nice to see that there's more than one way to beat this horse!

Hey AcWxRadar,

I didn't see this post and had to refigure a way to do this as well because my Azbox didn't like the file format and VLC had no problem.

I'm using VLC 1.1.5, but in unicast I just entered the IP address of my Azbox (destination) and the port:9000. [192.168.xxx.xxx:9000] No udp://@ was needed.
On the Azboz I when to Settings/TV Channel/IPChannel. There I used UDP, entered my computer's IP address (source), port:9000, and buffer:256

This saves the stream as a channel that can be found in the sat list under IPChannel and save to your favorites.

Putney,

Which direction are you streaming with this setup? I originally started this thread with regards to streaming from the AZBox to the PC, are you able to do this in reverese (from PC to AZBox)?

RADAR

Putney,

Which direction are you streaming with this setup? I originally started this thread with regards to streaming from the AZBox to the PC,
RADAR

I guess I missed that part! :what Yes, I used this to stream from VLC to my Azbox. I had a file that the Azbox wouldn't play and had to re-encode it to H264.

I hadn't tried streaming the other way. Now I've got something new to try! :idea:

Hey AcWxRadar,

Putney,

Which direction are you streaming with this setup? I originally started this thread with regards to streaming from the AZBox to the PC, are you able to do this in reverse (from PC to AZBox)?

RADAR

I guess I missed that part! :what Yes, I used this to stream from VLC to my Azbox. I had a file that the Azbox wouldn't play and had to re-encode it to H264.

I hadn't tried streaming the other way. Now I've got something new to try! :idea:

Putney,

Here is where I am stuck as I have not been able to stream any media from my PC (as the source) to my AZBox (as the destination).
You say you have accomplished this? I tried to set up an IP channel on my AZBox to do this, but I am doing something incorrectly.

I can get an IP channel entered for the AZBox OK, but maybe I am using the wrong address. Port 9000 is OK to use, rather than the default 1234?

Run your setup instructions by me once more, if you would. What address did you use for the IP channel that you set up in the AZBox?

RADAR

Putney,

Here is where I am stuck as I have not been able to stream any media from my PC (as the source) to my AZBox (as the destination).
You say you have accomplished this? I tried to set up an IP channel on my AZBox to do this, but I am doing something incorrectly.

I can get an IP channel entered for the AZBox OK, but maybe I am using the wrong address. Port 9000 is OK to use, rather than the default 1234?

Run your setup instructions by me once more, if you would. What address did you use for the IP channel that you set up in the AZBox?

RADAR

On the Azbox I assign a static IP so my router doesn't give it a new address each time.
Under Settings/TV Channel/IPChannel I use UDP and enter my PC address (source). 192.168.103.xxx
note: reserving this address in your router or setting it as static on your PC is helpful in order for things to work after a reboot.
I used port 9000 because UDP has that port open on my router.

With VLC select the file. I used UDP Unicast and entered my Azbox (destination) IP Address and port; 192.168.103.xxx:9000
Normally transcoding isn't necessary, just pass through the next steps and start steaming. It can take 10-20 seconds for it to buffer and start playing on the Azbox.
note: When I do transcode H264, 1024/MP4,128 seem to work well

-> I just tried using port 1234 and had no problem

Last edited:
Just a note before I head to work...

I was finally able to stream from my PC to my AZBox any disc or any file, but the video was horrid and choppy. I tried several different transcoding options with little luck of improvement. Then, I selected to turn the transcoding options completely OFF. BINGO!

Will work on more later. Running out of time for now.

RADAR

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts