Streaming not supported on Pioneer amp

mikew

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Effective 9/30, SiriusXM stopped streaming to my Pioneer amp. Of course, when I call them, they tell me it is up to Pioneer to update the software on my amp. Pioneer says they are no longer updating the firmware. Seems like quite a poor business practice to discontinue support on an amp after only 3 years.

Ain't it the truth. One more reason to never resubscribe to sat radio.

I think we're going to see a lot more of this going forward. YouTube fired the first volley that invalidated all sorts of disc players and televisions.

Another vote for separate components with thoughtful integration.

And this is precisely why I’m not a fan of all of this integration, various smart things and the new buzz phrase the ‘internet of things’. Besides being a total pain in the ass to use, I have an internet enabled TV, blu ray player and AV Receiver all purchased in 2011 that have an YouTube app that is no longer functional. I’m sure it sounded good and all with the idea of internet enabled appliances being able to be updated and never go out of date. But as the providers of content like YouTube and Sirius XM make changes to their backend, the manufactures of hardware don’t or can’t push out updates. My AV Receiver has a built in Sirius tuner, while the sound quality may not be as good as the internet feed, at least it will continue to function. Funny how I was able to own two DVD players in an 11 year span of time with no loss of functionality.

And this is precisely why I’m not a fan of all of this integration, various smart things and the new buzz phrase the ‘internet of things’. Besides being a total pain in the ass to use, I have an internet enabled TV, blu ray player and AV Receiver all purchased in 2011 that have an YouTube app that is no longer functional. I’m sure it sounded good and all with the idea of internet enabled appliances being able to be updated and never go out of date. But as the providers of content like YouTube and Sirius XM make changes to their backend, the manufactures of hardware don’t or can’t push out updates. My AV Receiver has a built in Sirius tuner, while the sound quality may not be as good as the internet feed, at least it will continue to function. Funny how I was able to own two DVD players in an 11 year span of time with no loss of functionality.
You have a recvr with a SiriusXm tuner built into it .... You have to pay Sirius to activate that just like you would a regular stand alone Car recvr, right ?

Yes, that is correct. I have a Sony 3700ES A/V Receiver and it requires a Sirius Connect unit that contains the ESN. I had to activate the ESN associated with that and it was added to the account with my two radios in mine and my wife's car.