Streaming too in disputes

Tampa8

Supporting Founder - I'll stand up and say so
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa/Eastern Ct
Dish overall deservedly so had been called the leader in disputes, though in more recent times they are not alone.

Just pointing out several streaming services already are also, and/or have dropped channels. Play Station Vue has dropped NESN amid a dispute with lots and lots of complaints. Directv streaming has dropped channels. Spectrum's online only service has dropped some channels from previously announced.
With some price increases and more on the way for streaming, they are becoming a little more like traditional services, minus the equipment and associated fees.

Dish overall deservedly so had been called the leader in disputes, though in more recent times they are not alone.

Just pointing out several streaming services already are also, and/or have dropped channels. Play Station Vue has dropped NESN amid a dispute with lots and lots of complaints. Directv streaming has dropped channels. Spectrum's online only service has dropped some channels from previously announced.
With some price increases and more on the way for streaming, they are becoming a little more like traditional services, minus the equipment and associated fees.

True, but with no contracts and fees, the viewer can easily drop a service and pick up another within minutes.

Reactions: Gobucks and NYDutch
Dish has always been a pioneer.

I do support Dish in trying to get the best price for us. However, when there is an impasse that goes on for months, Dish should come up with some way of getting that channel back or at least in the case of HBO, advertise the streaming side. I know there are times that things can be hard to do. One reason I have been for ale carte as if a channel ups their price, then just up the price to the viewer and let them decide if they want to pay. At $12 for locals, there should never be a time Dish has to drop the channel. If the channel ups their fees, then just pass that on to the viewer. Lets say X city has a good relationship and Dish can charge $12, but city Y wants more money. Then sell the package of locals from city Y for more. That way you do not have to take it away. With streaming, there are so many choices now for the viewer that they jump from service to service to get the best deal for what they want to watch. Many are jumping ship from cable and satellite to go with streaming. Everything is not available as yet., but a lot of it is.

True, but with no contracts and fees, the viewer can easily drop a service and pick up another within minutes.

If I ever went the streaming route, this is an advantage. If all I wanted was NBC Sport Chicago and ESPN - which are the main channels I watch right now - if one of those gets dropped, I cancel my streaming service and go to another one that has both. 10 years ago before streaming was even a thing - if Dish dropped a channel, I was out of luck. No cable in my area. U-Verse was the only option, and even at that the tech who came in and put my u-verse internet said that since I am on the fringe, the TV service would be a struggle. And where I live I don't have a clear shot of DirecTV satellites. Streaming does change the game.

I do wonder though if in the future if contracts will become a part of streaming - once it is more mainstream. I wouldn't be surprised if in another 10 years more people are streaming than have traditional cable/satellite. Once streaming becomes the majority, do the providers start adding the contracts back in? I don't know.

I do wonder though if in the future if contracts will become a part of streaming - once it is more mainstream. I wouldn't be surprised if in another 10 years more people are streaming than have traditional cable/satellite. Once streaming becomes the majority, do the providers start adding the contracts back in? I don't know.
Maybe not contracts, but as the channel owners continue to raise prices exorbitantly, the monthly rates will skyrocket, or, you could save money by paying for 3 months, 6 months, etc in advance.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)