Strong pixelation on WorldSport & Other Channels

MarcelV

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 24, 2004
I noticed over the last days I have much more noice and pixelation on some of the HD channels the last few days. First I noticed it on 301 (ESPNHD) and tonight during the JR Hockey final on WorldSport.
Nothing has changed on my setup. Satellite signal not worse as before.
Any insight from anyone?

Ive noticed some problems but they seem to go away after a day. I think its the encoder change taking place.

I have seen the same on WorldSport, Rush, UHD, and ESPNHD. Tonight it is quite bad on WorldSportHD and I stopped watching the Hockey game. I know that they are working on the encoders but they need to take care of this as soon as possible. Not possible to watch these channels with the pixelation.

I've noticed the quality of some of the SD channels has gone down as well. Discovery looked like crap tonight compared to D*.

Could it be?

Step 1: Implement Harmonic encoders
Step 2: Squeeze bandwidth for existing channels
Step 3: Expand channels using "new" bandwidth

Seems like a lot of us have noticed PQ issues and increased pixelization in the past few days...

who_the said:
Could it be?

Seems like a lot of us have noticed PQ issues and increased pixelization in the past few days...

You left out:

move to AMC-6 with more room than rainbow1
and implement mpeg4

vurbano said:
and implement mpeg4
Hopefully that will clear up the picture problems, any idea which of the MPEG4 encoder/decoder technologies they will be using? If its discussed elsewhere, please don't bite my head off :)

who_the said:
Could it be?

It has to do more with the Implementation of the Harmonic Encoders. All channels will be converted by 3/1/05. All the sparklies channels will be gone as soon as all the work is done. I have been told that there will be a lot of monotoring and we need to continue to give feedback in the next few days.

zombie said:
Hopefully that will clear up the picture problems, any idea which of the MPEG4 encoder/decoder technologies they will be using? If its discussed elsewhere, please don't bite my head off :)

As others have pointed out in the recent thread on AMC6 capacity, they dont even have to implement mpeg4 to have three times the capacity as they have now with rainbow1. Just move to AMC6. Then if you consider mpeg4 "doubling capacity" you have a factor of 6. The number of channels would be similar to having 6 mpeg2 rainbow1 sats in the air.

Sean Mota said:
I have been told that there will be a lot of monotoring and we need to continue to give feedback in the next few days.

The Playboy channel was just about unwatchable over the weekend. :(

scottabs said:
The Playboy channel was just about unwatchable over the weekend. :(

Thats what you get for paying 20$/mo for a single channel :)
When they add another channel or 2 i'll order the "adult plus pack", until then its not really a plus pack, its a channel..

Sean Mota said:
I have been told that there will be a lot of monotoring and we need to continue to give feedback in the next few days.
SEan, what will be the best way to provide such feedback? Should we have an open thread dedicated to that (and hopefully VOOM engineers monitor it)?

Keep everything on this thread... I have already given them feedback on the pixelation problems on most of the HD channels that were changed to Harmonics. Such are the case with WorldSport, TNTHD, RUSH, MonstersHD, etc. If anyone sees something not reported on this thread, report it. This has to do with Picture Quality.

Pixelation on Equator channel

Sean,

I do not know if anyone has reported pixelation on the Equator channel. I watched a program called Penguins Under Seige on that channel last night and noticed a lot of pixlelation on fast moving scenes. The same program I watched a few days back did not have this problem.

dash2004 said:
Sean,

I do not know if anyone has reported pixelation on the Equator channel. I watched a program called Penguins Under Seige on that channel last night and noticed a lot of pixlelation on fast moving scenes. The same program I watched a few days back did not have this problem.

I noticed it too. And things have not improved as of tonight.

I am getting pixelization on all channels although I have 95% signal strength. I don't get any local channels either. My installer does not have Voom himself which makes me think he is not as intimate with the equipment as he should be. I have called them back out but I don't have much confidence in them now. I've have read installation success stories from the Carlsbad & Oceanside, CA area, where I am from, so I know it is possible to get a good picture. Any suggestions?

Don't worry that pixelation will be gone this month and replaced with a pretty black screen. :mad: :no

Ran through all the channels this morning. (Mitsubishi 55" rear proj.)

HD - not much difference. EncoreHD looked great, some of the Cinema 10 seemed weaker, but that is often the transfers. HBO-HD looked okay, maybe a little softer, but even HBO can vary with its movies, though they are usually pretty sharp. DiscoveryHD looked fine.

SD - pretty bad on many channels. Bad pixelization. Animal planet - lions and hand movements were bad with pixelization (sometimes the whole screen had "boxes". It reminds me of my Dish Network days (except they had incredible softness as well). PLEASE PLEASE - do not regress to that level! I would be happy with LESS added channels if they need just a little more spectum to keep the channels as good as they were. Perhaps tweaking will cure it all anyway.

Pix

I'm also having problems with pixels on most of the VOOM original specially the worldsports and rush whats going on?? Does any one knows how to fix it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)