Strong Signal, No Channel

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
I have a Satworks 3618. I can make a manual entry, get a high signal quality, but it tells me "no channel." For example, I am trying to pick up the WB on G11, Tp1, Freq 3720, SR 26700. Manual search shows a lock with a 65% signal, when I hit OK, it goes into search program showing the 65% signal quality, then flashes "no channel" then goes back to continue search. My question is, if there is that strong of signal, why don't I get the channel?

~J~

THat is a C-Band channel.

Unless you have a monster dish in the back yard, it wont work.

If you do have a BUD, then I dunno... Hey Berg....

Jim has had a BUD for 20 years! And he is getting a big fat 65% quality : ) maybe the channel was just not broadcasting at the time.

Some of the network feeds only show during their time.

But the WB on G11 is, I think, for the cable only areas that have WB, so it shouold be on 24/7

I also have the problem on AMC 8. According to the satellite footprint I should been able to get it here in West-Central Indiana. I have always been interested Alaska and the north country (I spent a year in Thule, Greenland). When I scan AMC 8 I get 4 to 8 strong signals, but it always comes back "no channel." There is no analog on 8, so I figure I am on it since I get signals. I try bumping the dish, sometimes the signals get stronger, then boom, no channel.

~J~

Jim Adams said:
I have a Satworks 3618. I can make a manual entry, get a high signal quality, but it tells me "no channel." For example, I am trying to pick up the WB on G11, Tp1, Freq 3720, SR 26700. Manual search shows a lock with a 65% signal, when I hit OK, it goes into search program showing the 65% signal quality, then flashes "no channel" then goes back to continue search. My question is, if there is that strong of signal, why don't I get the channel?

~J~

You might need to manually enter the Audio and Video PIDs.
Get them at Lyngsat -- Galaxy 11

mkm4 said:
You might need to manually enter the Audio and Video PIDs.
Get them at Lyngsat -- Galaxy 11

I have a Satworks 3618, how do I enter the PIDs manually? All it ask for is Frequency, SR, Polarisation, and DiSEqC when you are searching, blind or manual. I know that I can change the PIDs after I have the channel locked in, but that doesn't help.

~J~

I did a blind scan AMC 8 and got 2 signals. Freqs 4127 & 4160. They showed 90% signal strength, then the ever popular "no channel." I have entered 4060,
8100 manually a million times and never get any kind of signal. I assume that if I pull up the menu and enter the information then bump the dish E to W or vice versa if there is a signal for that frequency it will lock on, right? Sometimes I wonder if I am on the bird. I do know if I bump just a tad to the east AMC 7 comes up. How wide of band do MPEG signals? Could I be picking something up off of 7 thinking I am on 8?

~J~

There is 2 degrees between the 2 so it sounds like you're not 100% on the satellite.

The 1500 5 clicks gets me between satellites. (hitting E or W once meaning a click)

Pete,

I could buy WB not being on the air, it was around 10pm cst. But if they were
broadcasting and were off the air I would think I would get an ID bar with a black screen, as I do with NBC and Pax or at least the West feed should show up, being 2 hours behind. Something here is not right. Check a few pages back and read what I wrote about AMC 8, see if that sheds any light on it.

~Jim~

Okay, this is what I've been up too this afternoon. I went to AMC 7 position with the AMC 8 icon, (I use a Motorola 922 to run this operation) brought up tp 18 (now NASA) on 7, bumped my way west from 7 to the end of the arc. The only two signals I picked were the 4127 and 4160, they were the usual "no channel." I then decided to go to G10 and measure the 2 degree difference to G5, on my counter, it was 34 clicks. I am assuming that 34 clicks would be 2 degrees no matter where in the arc the dish is positioned. I went to AMC 7 then moved west 34 clicks. I am in the process of a blind scan, with no results. Does polarity have anything to do with this? I have been changing it, but I don't know if it's doing anything or not. Can anybody confirm that I can get AMC 8 here in West-Central Indiana? I used to be able to get F5, AMC 8s predecessor for Alaska programing when it was in service.
Man, I love the challenge!!!!

~J~

Jim Adams said:
Okay, this is what I've been up too this afternoon. I went to AMC 7 position with the AMC 8 icon, (I use a Motorola 922 to run this operation) brought up tp 18 (now NASA) on 7, bumped my way west from 7 to the end of the arc. The only two signals I picked were the 4127 and 4160, they were the usual "no channel."
~J~

You are on AMC 8. The signals you are picking up though are like the WB signal on Galaxy 11. The PIDs must me manually entered.

I understand about entering the PIDs manually, but how do I do it on the 3618? I can change them after I have the signal locked and saved, but I can't figure out how to enter them when I am scanning.

~J~

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts