Strongest C-Band satellite and transponder

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PopcornNMore

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 20, 2005
Gibsonia, PA
What is the strongest C-Band satellite and transponder out there? I want to play around with a few smaller (4'-6') dishes just to see what I can pick up.

I am not sure of the exact power outputs by transponder and generally to my brief knowledge that size of the dish aides in the separation of closely space birds, a bit higher gain. I don't think you can go wrong using IA5 as your test bird.

Pas-3

does anyone know if I can get 43.1w Pas3R in Va...and if so What do i need...I think it is freeair>?..??....not sure?...I have now a Dishnetwork 500 dish @ 61.5w and I am trying to do something with a DTV dish that I found....as far as the receiver....well it works good...lol pansat2500a

A few months ago I was picking up
EWT (church stuff), C-Span, and some shopping channels on a 5' mesh around 125 W - 135 W Analog. It was on a small porch so I was kinda limited on what I could aim at.

I have a posting in the FTA forum with details

Good luck with yours.

PopcornNMore said:
What is the strongest C-Band satellite and transponder out there? I want to play around with a few smaller (4'-6') dishes just to see what I can pick up.

strong tp's

I have a 1.8 Meter (6 foot) offset dish with a c-band lnbf on it. I have been very successful at picking up g-10r (outdoor channels) and g3-c (equity tp) and us digital tp with lifetime and fox news in the clear, however I have had no luck getting anything far west such as amc-10, or g1, g-12, etc. It seems like I can not get anything past 123west.

I have what I believe a good view of the western sat's, what are some good tp's that are strong and on 24 hours on those birds.

I have also played around with the lnbf skew but no luck.
My dish has a nice azimuth and elevation scales. my pole is perfectly plumb and mount is level on pole. I lined up the azimuth scale.

for example from here azimuth 234 degrees and elevation 28.6 degrees gets you to galaxy 10R. on my scale it works perfectly. I cannot seem to receive the western sats even with the marks aligned or even deviating a little to try to get a lock on the tp's. Is this dish too small for the western sats? I know that 6 feet is on the small side of c-band and since these birds are low on the horizon I probably need a bigger dish. But I can't complain about the price it was free, all I have in it is a piece of 3.5 inch pipe and 10 bags of concrete and an astrotel c-band lnbf for offset dish.

When I had time to play back a few years ago, I got feeds from every bird, with a 5' and some feeds with a 4' of couse I DO NOT RECOMMEND THOSE SIZES, I use to play a lot :) have not tryed for a long time, and have given away or lost most of my smaller reflectors, but you should be able to pull something, just make sure there is not a channel on the next sat with the same freq/polarity as the one you are trying to pull, yes 6' is to small, but to play with it can be fun or annoying. Good luck may take a few hours before you find anything on the west.

If I get any dumber.......

OK guys, When I posted above I was wondering why I was not getting any tp's off the other sats. I just found the problem.... My lnbf is turned wrong. I did a blind search of g-10r and found that the polarities are all backward. Vertical is Horizontal and vice-versa. There's my malfunction. Feel free to shun me! LOL. This is another fine example of what happens when you try to do something in a hurry.

I have two astrotel lnbf's on a homemade feed support. My dish is a prodelin 1.8 Meter designed for transmit/receive on KU band for Hughes network systems. The feed arm did not have any provisions for mounting a consumer lnbf. So I did some clever backyard engineering and voila I found the proper f/d and offset angle. Now I just need to rotate the lnbf a quarter turn and I'll have it. Thanks to all for a great informative site. :)

Don't feel bad, if I told you all the things I screwed up learning about satellites and setting them up for fun for the past 20 years you would laugh :) though I did pretty good, back then great fourms did not exist, and help did not come free, so you was all on your own... Good luck with your system, have fun feed hunting.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 4)

Latest posts