Struggling with Aspect Ratio on new TV

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

afriedma

Original poster
Dec 21, 2008
Seattle
I just bought a Coby 46" LED HDTV (yes, I know that it is an 'off' brand, but the price was too good to pass up) which has very nice HD image quality, but I cannot figure out how to get my Dish receiver (722) or TV to display the proper aspect ratio. The TV only has several screen size choices: Normal, Cinema, Wide, Zoom. I've tried all four, but in every case, the right and left edges of the picture go beyond the edge of the screen. This is not a problem for the guide screen, which is not cut off on the right or left side. My previous TV showed black bars at the top and bottom, but on this TV, the image fills the screen to the top and bottom.

I've also tried various HDTV setup choices on my receiver, which has three 1080P choices: 4:3 #1, 4:3 #2, and 16:9. There does not appear to be a significant difference between these choices. In all cases, the guide screen looks OK, but the HD channel picture extends off the right and left edges of the screen.

I've had a Dish receiver for over 15 years, through several TVs, but I'm feeling like a total Newbie here! Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Al

Set the tv to normal, receiver to 16:9, and make sure to toggle the *button on the receiver remote to normal.
Thank You DAHENNY! Forgot to check that ... someone must have done it accidentally this past week, and I knew something was wrong ... but then checking the usual culprits and finding nothing, and then given my blinding hatred for Dish of late, was looking to see if others had noticed and if it were the epitome of evil (aka dish) ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)