Stuck in the Middle With Dish

Sounds like a wild installation. Did they put it up that high to get over another building next to you?

There were some line of sight issues with the original installation. I think it had something to do with either a nearby tree or a building across the street. I had requested that it be done near ground level with my apartment if possible (So that I'd have physical assess to it in situations like this) or, if not possible, on the roof so that it would be on level ground (it's a flat roof).

The guy who came out said it couldn't be done on the first floor due to the line of sight issues and he flat out said he refused to do roofs because of the height (It's like a three story apartment building). So, he wound up putting it on an apartment above me . I rarely look at it because it's the sort of deal where you'd have to go stand across the street and be specifically looking up at it to see it, but the impression I always had is that it was sort of perched precariously on almost a wall hanging that juts out from the building proper and I kind of wondered if it was properly grounded.

I truthfully wasn't entirely sure about how placement was handled, but I figured he knew what he was doing better than I did, and he seemed nice and professional, and at some point I just wanted to get to watching television instead of being super complainy (Especially given that I don't know the technical end of how satellites work and I really could be mistaken in my preference).

Of course, given that the rain and clouds kept forcing the thing to reboot and on a regular basis for the entire life of the Dish, and now the thing is out completely, maybe I should have been more forceful initially. At the time, though, I told myself that I needed to trust the professional and just let him get his job done the way his training and experience told him was best.

Keep us posted on what the tech found.
Hope he fixes it for you.

Thanks. He hasn't arrived yet, but we're still near the beginning of the installation window, so there's plenty of time left. I'll post when he shows up and fixes it (or if he doesn't -- I've had cable people and such no-show me so many times that I always feel like that's a possibility. To be fair, though, the one appointment I had with Dish previous -- to install the thing originally -- the guy showed up very promptly without problems).

Last edited:
The guy came out and fixed it. He said it looked like a storm had knocked it slightly off-track. Looks like it's working good right now.

Will update again if I have any problems and wind up getting charged or something, but so far so good.

sweet

so what kind of signal do you get now?
(from post 6) IN the screen (6-1-1) select 119 satellite and a few transponders like 11, 12, 18, 19, 20. Then go to satellite 110 and do the same thing. If they are all that low then the dish has been moved slightly out of alignment

sweet

so what kind of signal do you get now?
(from post 6) IN the screen (6-1-1) select 119 satellite and a few transponders like 11, 12, 18, 19, 20. Then go to satellite 110 and do the same thing. If they are all that low then the dish has been moved slightly out of alignment

Low 60s for some of them. Low 40s for others. A couple 50s. I think a couple may have been 0. I flipped through pretty fast. Is that all normal?

Low 60s for some of them. Low 40s for others. A couple 50s. I think a couple may have been 0. I flipped through pretty fast. Is that all normal?

yes those sound about right, at least that is what mine hover around. i had to get out the limb clipper yesterday. i have some crape myrtles near my dish and it rained so they were weighed down and were in the path of my 129 dish. snip, snip and i went from signals in the teens to near 60 on most TPs.

i'm attaching an excel file that was posted on here a while back with minimum signal levels if you want to check out and see if yours are at or above. glad they got you up and working again.

View attachment Minimum and Average Thresholds.xls

that sounds right
the 0 ones are usually spoptbeams for locals and you may not be in a spotbeam for that transponder. Here in Minneapolis most of the 119 spotbeams I'm not near so they will read 0

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)