Stuck in the middle...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Faldain

Original poster
Apr 14, 2008
Ok, so I'm new to this forum, but familiar with other types (I've always found them to be a great source of information from people who know thier stuff)

Platitudes asside, here is my problem (which I'm sure I'm not the first, but I think it is unique)

My wife and I are moving back to where we are from. We have Dish Network now and have the local channels from the Indianapolis market. The market we are moving into in the Terre Haute Market. The TH market does not have a local ABC affiliate. The closest one is out of the Champaign Ill, market. The signal is not recievable where we are moving.

So, unless I want to spring for cable also, we will be without an ABC station. Is there an option for people in odd markets like this? The problem lies in that the county we are moving too (Vermillion) is about equidistance from Champaign Market, the Indy Market, and the TH market. OTA you can only actually recieve 2 stations (CBS strongly, and NBC very weakly).

Well any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Faldain

Do the dish install yourself, or hire a contractor to do it, and leave your service address at Dish Network where it is now. This is called "not moving", as opposed to "moving" or really truly as a matter of simple fact moving. ;)

I had someone tell me this BUT I see a couple of problems. One, I'm selling my current home (in the Indy Market). If the buyers get Dish then that could be a problem. Two, if we use any pay-per view then the phone number of my reciever will show up and identify my location is incorrect to the service location.

Unless I'm wrong about all that.

Thanks,
Faldain

Your phone number for the account can be at your new location, so that's not a problem. Regarding the address, you could just change it to add something like "apartment A" to the address, or find an unused address in Indianapolis, like maybe an apartment complex and use an apartment number they don't actually have.

Your billing address would change to your new address.

You are correct. Also, you my not be in the foot print at your new residence, if your present locals are spot beamed, which they probably are.

Hmm interesting ideas. As for the spot beam issue I don't really know how to verify that issue. I would assume that they would all be on the same system since the two locations are less than 50 miles from each other ( I live on the western side of the Indy Market)

I had an installer a few years ago when I originally lived in the TH market tell me to use a relatives address in Indy so I could get the Indy stations but never to rent any movies or they could locate the address via the phone.

Don't know if that is really the case or if he was just covering his arse. I have no problem moving my dish (something that I was fearfull of a few years ago until my dog knocked the post over and drug it across the yard...just point it south and I was good)

Thanks for the advice, it really sucks that you have to "pirate" the market just to get what your paying for. (Of course I can't blame Dish for that)

Checked it out and the spot beam isn't an issue (according to the map) and even if its off a bit I'm still well within the range.

I've been reading a lot about the sats and setups and have some other questions. I figured out that I could "move" to Chicago so I could recieve HD networks (of course I would need to upgrade recievers/DVR) but my question is about the dish itself. I have a 500 now, and Chicago HD runs off of 129*, which I think means I would either need a Dish 1000 or another 500 dish? I love modding things, and never knew so much can be tweeked with my dish!

Thanks!

I am in Vermillion county and the spot beams will not be a problem, I am going to be "moving" to indy if they get the HD stuff there.

Its an odd thing about the Indy HD channels, most (if not all) are now broadcasting in HD and Dish offered them back in 2006 but then dropped them later that year.

Ohh well, I'll probably keep my Indy Market for now since I haven't even bought an HD tv yet. Just planning for the future.

Where at in VC do you live?(North or South)

Hope it works out for you.... soon to be dealing with similar "moving" questions, as Peoria's SD locals just won't cut it for me... But Chicago's HD locals will... and the spotbeam reaches to central illinois ;)

(Moving to Normal in 37 days!) :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)