Stumped: Dishpro + 6100 (811) tech question

hutchro

Original poster
Mar 5, 2005
Ancaster
I've moved from the US to Canada and I cancelled my subscription for Dish Network and bought a 6100 to replace my 811 (same thing only enabled for expressvu) So I have a Dishpro LNB (not the quad) and a dishpro compatible receiver (the 6100) and am using one of the inputs from the Dishpro LNB into the 6100. I readjusted the angles and skew and am getting 100% on 91. (FYI - I also have a totally seperate installation already running ExpressVu.)

The problem is, that I can't get any furthur. If I do a check switch, which I read somewhere "you're not supposed to do", it comes up as showing 91 and x with all the rest x's. Of course I did a check switch because there were really no other options. If I switch to test the strength of 82 it says wrong satellite, but 100% strength. After I run a check switch, by the way, its says all of a sudden that it can see 82 but when I'm on the 91 menu selection, it obviously says this is the wrong sat. I can fix the check switch problem, by removing the sat cable from the receiver and running check switch again, and I'm back to showing 91 good.

The only other menu selection, which I've tried every which way, is to choose cancel, select yes from the dialog box asking me if I have a locked signal. It attempts to download the software for about a minute, no blue bar progress activity occurs, the screen goes black and it appears my receiver is resetting. Then once again the satellite signal meter screen pops up again and I'm back where I started.

So here are the questions?

1) How do I get to the program guide to ascertain whether anything is working out of this endless loop.
2) If I can't do a "check switch" on a Dishpro, how can I get it to start to recognize 82?
3) Is the system lying to me after I do a "check switch" in this case? Remember that it switched to saying it could see 82 instead of 91 after a check switch.

One thought is to use my other installation (I had two dishes on the side of my house, one with coax direct wired into the location I'm now trying to fix) which is running expressvu already and get the receiver through the download problem. Would this do any good?

Thanks in Advance

welcome to satellite guys. you came to the right spot for answers. however, i am not the techie some are. check back in a little while and someone most likely will have answered you question. be advised, it can get a little slow on weekends.

don't be a stranger, visit often.

As I mentioned in my post, I am getting good signal from 91 and if I do a check switch it all of a sudden switches to 82. Now that I've left it for a few hours, it has defaulted to showing the Back Input Video channel, but when I press guide it still does not go get the guide (tries but fails)

I'm not a newbie, but I don't pretend to know Bell's software, or some other nuance that I stupidly overlooked.

Thanks

Thanks All

I resolved the issue last night. It was really the Bell software more than anything else. The programmers seem to have put a error check in, for just out of the box receievers that won't allow you to pass the signal strength screen without having a number of other paratmeters settled. I knew from the beginning that there was nothing wrong with my signal.

The key was the small detail that although Altaman had said in a different post that "you can't run a check switch" or something to that effect, he meant that you do run a check switch, but it won't look like it came back with anything valuable. As you'll remember, something on the system software timed out and I came back to it and I had one of the free channels playing, but then could not get any furthur. After reading Altaman's latest post I went in, ran a check switch, came up with expected I%^%* results, but then the receiver worked fine. It's now enabled and I get all channels.

Thanks to All

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)