Stumper: Convert ANALOG signal to DIGITAL OTA channel 3 for 722 PIP

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Leo Farnsworth

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Apr 22, 2008
Wow. It seems just like yesterday when I began ‘lurking’ but in fact it has been since February 2007 when we upgraded to HD. Have been *E customers for 10+ years. Many thanks to all of you for all of the information I have received over the last year. The information on 'moving' was most helpful.

My question - and I do NOT believe this to be a hack – :
Multiple receivers will allow local DIGITAL OTA channels to be scanned into the receiver and then be viewed/recorded.

Our receivers ignore ANALOG broadcasts.

How can I convert VGA or RGB or RF channel 3 (from a RF converter) INTO a DIGITAL OTA channel 3 (channel 3 for instance - any digital channel number would work) so I can use the Picture-In-A-Picture function of a 722.

Example:

I would like to work on my computer while watching a baseball game.

No my TV/Monitor does not have PIP function.

If I could convert the RGB or DVI out into a digital OTA signal then it could be scanned by the 722 and added as a ‘local’ station.

I do have a RF converter and the 722 does not recognize the analog channel 3 or 4 input.

Any ideas on converting an output into a digital channel 3 OTA (for example) input?

Thank you for your time!

Leo

Specialized (commercial grade) equipment exists to do this, but it is very expensive. A year from now, I do think you will start seeing lower priced consumer grade gear to generate an RF Channel 3 ATSC signal.

What if you went the other way? Have the 722 output an analog signal (via the coax output) and use a TV tuner card (either USB or internal) on your computer. Most TV cards come with rudimentary TV viewing software that would allow you to view PIP on the computer.

Then output the signal from the computer to whatever monitor you're wanting to use.

CDH.

What if you went the other way? Have the 722 output an analog signal (via the coax output) and use a TV tuner card (either USB or internal) on your computer. Most TV cards come with rudimentary TV viewing software that would allow you to view PIP on the computer.

Then output the signal from the computer to whatever monitor you're wanting to use.

CDH.

WOW - Now this is a great idea. Thank you very much for the concept. I'll check into it and will follow up if I can get it to work.

boba: Thank you for the heads up on the ATCS encoder.... Perhaps this may be an opportunity as well.

My best,

Leo

interesting idea... good luck with that. Interesting fact... the 811 HD receiver had 2 sets of inputs on it, worked out awesome, don't know why they killed that feature

Thank you all for your input on this.

I took CDH's advise and purchased a 'WinTV-HVR 950' mfg'd by Hauppauge.

After an easy install it now is attached to channel 60, TV2 and floats in a window on my computer screen. It's FANTASTIC.
Once again - Thank You to all of you ---- not just for this but for months of great information.

Leo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts