Stupid AM21 question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

colt45allstar

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 3, 2008
I feel like an idiot... but I can't seem to get any channels with my am21.

We got it hooked up today and have the antenna hooked up as well, but no new channels are showing up.

I figured that resetting the reciever after hooking both the tuner and the reciever would be sufficient.. but not so much.

Is there a chance that the antenna simply isn't strong enough to pick up the signal?

Should it at least 'try' to find the channels regardless of the antenna's strength?

Is there an additional step beyond simply hooking it up and resetting the reciever?

It's an HR23 if that matters any.

Thanks in advance

quick edit:

This is my antenna

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Amplified-High-Definition-Antenna-Reception/dp/B0007MXZB2/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1233267084&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics[/ame]

Don't know a whole lot about them, but got it simply because it was the number one selling antenna on Amazon and I figured it had to be a decent one.

I feel like an idiot... but I can't seem to get any channels with my am21.

We got it hooked up today and have the antenna hooked up as well, but no new channels are showing up.

I figured that resetting the reciever after hooking both the tuner and the reciever would be sufficient.. but not so much.

Is there a chance that the antenna simply isn't strong enough to pick up the signal?

Should it at least 'try' to find the channels regardless of the antenna's strength?

Is there an additional step beyond simply hooking it up and resetting the reciever?

It's an HR23 if that matters any.

Thanks in advance

quick edit:

This is my antenna

Amazon.com: Terk HDTVa Indoor Amplified High-Definition Antenna for Off-Air HDTV Reception: Electronics

Don't know a whole lot about them, but got it simply because it was the number one selling antenna on Amazon and I figured it had to be a decent one.

You are moving the antenna around? I believe the Terk is what I have hooked up to my dish 622 (DIRECTV install tomorrow). I am fortunate to be not far from the tower most Houston stations use.

Robert:)

You have to go into the menu and setup your your receiver to look at the OTA channels. You also have an option to check the strength of the signal as well. I would put the menu location but my daughter is playing he xbox right now so I can't.

Right! You have to tell the receiver your zipcode so it knows which channels are available in your area. The AM21 doesn't have a scan function.

Ok they are showing up now, just didn't find them at first for some reason

Thanks again

Well except for Fox.. it still won't show up... turns out that's the one I would want the most.

Shows up in the guide, but it can't find a signal

Ah well.

Last edited:
Ok they are showing up now, just didn't find them at first for some reason

Thanks again

Well except for Fox.. it still won't show up... turns out that's the one I would want the most.

Shows up in the guide, but it can't find a signal

Ah well.

So again I ask, are you moving the antenna to find the signal(s)

Robert

Yes we tried that since you posted, we've even got all the channels to show up briefly.

The thing is Fox and to a lesser extent CBS will only show up when standing to the front and slightly to the right of the tv and you have to hold it up high.

Not really functional as you don't want to have to hold it yourself, but when you sit it back down on something it loses Fox everytime and depending on where you put it sometimes CBS as well.

Going to go grab a bite to eat and then do more trial and error when I get back.

Yes we tried that since you posted, we've even got all the channels to show up briefly.

The thing is Fox and to a lesser extent CBS will only show up when standing to the front and slightly to the right of the tv and you have to hold it up high.

Not really functional as you don't want to have to hold it yourself, but when you sit it back down on something it loses Fox everytime and depending on where you put it sometimes CBS as well.

Going to go grab a bite to eat and then do more trial and error when I get back.

Good deal,

I am a no-code technician HAM (UHF/VHF only) so I do have some knowledge of this. You may want to try putting an outdoor style antenna in your attic, maybe with a rotor. If that does not get you enough signal then you need to go to an outdoor antenna.

BTW, for those that have not experienced it, an OTA signal with a decent tuner is sharper that the sat signals that are recompressed.

Good Luck,
Robert:)

It's possible that particular antenna is not enough for your situation. (depending in distance, etc)

Check out AntennaWeb to see what type of antenna is recommended for your location.

My local ABC station is like that, even though it is only about 9 miles away (if it weren't for the trees I could probably see their tower). Their antenna pattern is sort of a "D" shape and much lower in this direction. Even the best spots I could find for my external antenna weren't all that great. The Fox station is even closer, but is behind a hill so I can't receive it at all. Fortunately Directv now carries both of them.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts