Stupid E* vs D* line of sight question...

hancox

Pub Member / UConnaholic
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 23, 2003
Monroe, CT
I currently have a E* Dish 500 installed. > 100 on just about everything for signal. I'm under the impression D*'s satellites are similar in terms of direction, etc. Anything I need to be worried about in terms of LOS for a triple LNB dish?

hancox said:
I currently have a E* Dish 500 installed. > 100 on just about everything for signal. I'm under the impression D*'s satellites are similar in terms of direction, etc. Anything I need to be worried about in terms of LOS for a triple LNB dish?

you need to have a LOS for 101, which if looking behind the dish, would be 9 degrees to the right

fantastic - my LOS probs would be to the left (big enough that I can't get 61.5). Thanks Iceberg.

Iceberg said:
you need to have a LOS for 101, which if looking behind the dish, would be 9 degrees to the right
Looking behind the dish, or looking from behind the dish? Regardless and for clarifications sake .. it is 9 degrees to the east of where the OP's dish is pointing now.

how about to REALLY clarify - you mean 9 fewer degrees, right? 9 degrees to the east when you're facing SW can be quasi-confusing :)

stand behind the dish (face the same way as the arm on the dish is) and look 9 degrees to the left..that's what you need LOS for :)

Wait, if you are the dish and lnb looking into the southern sky, isnt 101 9 degress to the left of 110?? I thought the numbers got smaller heading east and east would be to the left in this example, correct?? The 101 is between the 61.5 where you have an obstruction and the 110 which your Dish500 gets now, so by "being" the dish, it is to your left.

LEFT!

if 61.5 is to the southeast, the numbers go higher as you head southwest.. as you turn right. lower numbers to the left.

Direct's 101 is a little higher too.

About to give up here .... Your Dish network dish is pointed at satellites over the equator at 110 and 119 degrees west longitude. The primary DirecTV satellite is located over the equator at 101 degrees west longitude. The 101 slot is east of the 110 and 119 slots. If you stand behind the dish, looking to where the dish is pointing ... you will need to look to your left (or to the east). If you look right or to the west nine degrees you will be looking roughly at the 127 slot or the Galaxy 9 bird.

Just to add to the confusion: Though it's 9 degrees east of the 110 slot, when comparing to the actual direction of the Dish500 (i.e., 114.5, or halfway between 110 and 119), it's really 13.5 degrees east.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts