stupid HOA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

sanhin2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2005
well i got dish installed like 1 and half month ago, i got teh super dish 121 (because i wanted international programing). the HOA said tha the dish was too big and it needed 2 be removed. so i wrote them a letter that it met with FCC rules etc. so they agreed with that. now they are saying that they have safety concern etc. so i waz like they wouldnt install it if it was not safe. ( they are concerned that it may fall of and hit some 1). so they inisist that they would pay for getting two dishes (since their rules previosly said that only 1 dish, which was the reason why i got the super dish).. my main concern is that if i am able to see 110, 119, 121 will i be able to see the 61.5?? for getting the international programming? i mean how far right/left would the dish have to face to get the 61.5 cause i do have some houses opposite to me.. also i live on the west coast.. thnx much

sanhin2 said:
well i got dish installed like 1 and half month ago, i got teh super dish 121 (because i wanted international programing). the HOA said tha the dish was too big and it needed 2 be removed. so i wrote them a letter that it met with FCC rules etc. so they agreed with that. now they are saying that they have safety concern etc. so i waz like they wouldnt install it if it was not safe. ( they are concerned that it may fall of and hit some 1). so they inisist that they would pay for getting two dishes (since their rules previosly said that only 1 dish, which was the reason why i got the super dish).. my main concern is that if i am able to see 110, 119, 121 will i be able to see the 61.5?? for getting the international programming? i mean how far right/left would the dish have to face to get the 61.5 cause i do have some houses opposite to me.. also i live on the west coast.. thnx much

The FCC OTARD rules protect you, so tell the HOA to bother someone else.

The international programming your getting from the 121 wont match up fully to whats on the 61.5 most likely or even at all. Funny though, you come across more like a surfer dude from california than someone that would want international programs. :D

sanhin2 said:

2 problems I see

They think the dish is going to fall off and hit someone. Tell them to stay the Hell away from you house.

The dont want you to have "not a big satellite" but bigger than normal. So there resolution 2 dishes.

I would tell them to kiss my ASS. They cannot say S$IT to you.

bad news for the HOA...
OTARD protects you and allows you to have both the Superdish (for international) and the 61.5 (for evential east coast HD). I'd put them both up and tell them where to go :D

Last edited:
As noted above, Superdish is covered by the OTARD....Dish has to be less than a meter (39 point something inches)..
SD is 35x20 :)

Well it would not do any good to go with 2 dishes.

You would just have a Superdish and and a smaller dish.

You need the Superdish to get the FSS bird at 121, you can't get that with a smaller dish.

Dave nye said:
You need the Superdish to get the FSS bird at 121, you can't get that with a smaller dish.

Dish simulcasts on 61.5 for most channels

Dave nye said:

Beat me to it. :)

Anyway, hand them the OTARD and tell them to shove it.

Then, add a couple of wing dishes AND a DirecWay. Heck, might as well throw in an FTA dish or 5 while you're at it.

As long as they are mounted on your "exclusive use" property, they are powerless.

well ur suggestions have beeb great.. but i have printed out the FCC rule thing and given to them before.. they are agreing to it...BUT my supid neigbours complained that it is a safety hazzard because the dish *might* fall and hot some one.. which i think is bull shyt.. but who gives a FCUK... anywayz my international programming also comes off the 61.5.. but ones of u guys answered by question.. will i be also to see the 61.5 satellite if at the cuurent location wher ethe super dish is??

they have to **PROVE** that it's a safety issue, and the reg has to STATE CLEARLY the safety problem they are trying to prevent.

It sounds like they haven't done that, and will LOSE in front of the FCC.

Hit them with it AGAIN, and point that out.

And if necessary, file the petition with the FCC and get them to issue the ruling.

LER

Actually, there is an assumption here. So long as the dish and any OTA antenna are on a 12' or less pole, they cannot require any permitting for safety reasons. If it is installed by a professional, they would have almost no chance of officially objecting on safety concerns. It would be hard to question safety even if you put it up yourself, assuming you put it up properly.

The "safety" issue is a canard. Don't let them stop you, put up both dishes, you have the right. I strongly suggest an OTA antenna also- I find OTA HD to be the best for PQ.

If they pursue, they must do so very carefully, because if they can be construed as harassing you or denying you your rights, or acting capriciously, they can be sued and perhaps held liable for damages for misconduct. I know, it's all best avoided. But you must stand up for your rights, or they may decide to take a few others away, too.

Shxxty HOAs like that tend to occur in lawyer infested communities. The parasites get so attached to their work that they forget where it ends and where home starts.

I once bumped into a lawyer's wife's car on black ice in out hood. I profusely apologized and later talked to the guy and he said it was OK insurance will take care of it. He also said that "just like dogs we lawyers usually don't sxxt where we live" then proceeded to quote all the money he could make off of me, for things ranging from emotional trauma to whiplash.

In any case, give the mofos grief from all of us please. What a farse.

Last edited:
Just FYI, I am ON a HOA, and this area is more or less under my purview. Guess who was the first one to put up a strictly forbidden OTA antenna? Guess who never noticed for 2-3 months, and noticed only then because I pointed it out to them?

When a lawyer's review of our rules failed to note that our dish & OTA antenna requirements were not valid, I had to speak up. To think we paid good money to that guy- and there were other errors. I was prepared, and handed out paper with the link to the FCC on this matter. I kept hearing "It certainly IS my business if it affects my property value!" and "once one goes up, many more go up and the place looks like he!!" and similar comments. I just referred them to the site and stood my ground. After that meeting, I never heard another comment. And now, well over a year later, maybe 2, only one other person has put up an OTA antenna.

I'm on the board to protect my interests against those that would use the board as a dictatorship. We seem to have had a board like that a few years before I moved in. But after a few years of volunteer work on the HOA and verbal abuse from neighbors, at least one of which seems to be afflicted with mental problems, I look forward to fall 2006, when I step down. That said, you might consider serving on your HOA, at least for a while, to leaven some of the misguided impulses that crop up.

I just moved into a brand new neighborhood (literally we are like the 3rd or 4th house sold).

I may investigate it, since the CCR's (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) have the "one satellite dish" restriction in them.

Given my work with this site, I'll probably take the plunge and get involved :)

LER

LER said:
I just moved into a brand new neighborhood (literally we are like the 3rd or 4th house sold).
I may investigate it, since the CCR's (Covenants, Conditions, and Restrictions) have the "one satellite dish" restriction in them.
Given my work with this site, I'll probably take the plunge and get involved :)
LER

It's an illegal restriction. That said, if they're reasonable people it doesn't hurt to tell them what you're doing and let them know that you're allowed to do it. Of course, if they're the kind of people that get worked up over everthing just go ahead and install it dish or five until they learn to be better neighbors.

Yeah, I know, and already pointed it out to the builder.

As I said, I'm probably HOA officer/involvement fodder when the neighborhood is more built up :)

LER

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts