Stupid or Brilliant

DL_Marquis

Original poster
Mar 2, 2005
The posts on this site remind me of a sene from 'The Hunt For Red October' where the Russian submarine crew is on the deck of an American ship when they see an American sub break the surface of the water . One of the sailors says something to the effect of "Look, the Captain is scaring them out of the water!" even though the Captain told them that he was submerging to scuttle the ship. People here, like those sailors, can only see the surface yet they are quick to jump to almost any conclusion. With an undying faith in Chuck Dolan (I vote for Sean Connery to play Chuck in the movie version).

I think the real story has more intrige and plot twists then 'Red October'.

What if the Dolan family planned this from the beginning? Charles Dolan put up with a lot to get HBO going and sold it to others who are reaping the prifit. What if he decided this time to sell his great idea to himself once the inital growing pain losses where paid for by CVC.

He would have to find a way to sell it to himself cheap without the stockholders screeming foul. Didn't the stock price double in the last 7 months at the mention of dumping Voom?

He would have to make sure it continued to do poorly while the bugs were worked out. Wasn't his son the CEO who mismanaged it for 2 years?

He would have to do it in a way that his son wasn't made the goat. Aren't the board and the stockholders behind James?

He would have to wait for the right time. Isn't the company about to release a PVR and add more channels, and hasn't the subscribers just about doubled in the last 7 months?

Throw in a 'Family Fued' element to make them appear to be dumber than the Ewings from 'Dallas', and the attemped sale of their only satallite (it hasn't been approved by the FCC yet), and the plot takes shape.

Under the 'New Managment' Voom moves into the black within a year.
The CVC shareholders are happy, even though they paid 1.4 Billion to fund Voom. The subscribers are thrilled that the service continues (they want to declare Chuck a savior). And the Dolans are all thrilled (James was never cut out of the will).
You have to ask yourself 'Are the type of men who can create and run a muliti billion dollar corperation as stupid as these people seem, or are they clever enough to pull this off'.

It's not more far fetched then some of the ideas I've seen here. I'm still pulling for Sean Connery to play Chuck in the movie version.

LOL...exactly what I was thinking...but you added a few more twists

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)