Stupid Question!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Diamond Jim

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 18, 2004
The Boilermaker State (#19)
When we use the term "Free to Air" what exactly are we talking about? MPEG 2 DVD, C and Ku DVB, C and Ku analog? I consider anything that I can pick up without paying for it FTA, no matter what format it's in. Somebody enlighten me on this. :confused:

well I could see the comparison.....

There are areas now where that new service, U.S. Digital is taking off so some OTA signals are sent out encrypted while the regular locals are "in the clear". So, yes I could see a comparison on "clear" OTA to FTA.

lilyarbie said:
There are areas now where that new service, U.S. Digital is taking off so some OTA signals are sent out encrypted while the regular locals are "in the clear". So, yes I could see a comparison on "clear" OTA to FTA.

Interesting, didn't know that. Out of the Baltimore, MD area, I am having no problem getting and receiving all of the signals coming off the towers that I can see. I am about 50 miles away and I am getting all the major channels(Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS and PBS) Will be getting another antenna soon to point to Philly.

There's a company in Roanoke that does the same thing. I think they're called Air Cable. They put one of their flyers on my door a while back. It looked like they offered most of the cable channels in a satellite or traditional cable company's basic package along with a couple of movie channels. Wouldn't want their service though. One of my neighbors got it and the installer actually nailed the antenna to a tree rather than mounting it on the house.

I hate the precedent these new services are setting.. I'm a big fan on OTA HD (in Dallas, every station is broadcasting digital OTA). Station owners are robbing bandwidth from HD broadcasts so they can sell off part of the bandwidth to these secondary providers. It's a crying shame.

Noone is doing that in Dallas, yet. Though I don't understand why 4 different stations in town feel it necessary to steal bandwidth from their main broadcasts to broadcast a weather map.

There are two stations in town that are actually splitting their allocated bandwidth into 4 channels. Yes, they have 4 stations now, but they all look like crap.

snathanb said:
I hate the precedent these new services are setting.. I'm a big fan on OTA HD (in Dallas, every station is broadcasting digital OTA). Station owners are robbing bandwidth from HD broadcasts so they can sell off part of the bandwidth to these secondary providers. It's a crying shame.

Noone is doing that in Dallas, yet. Though I don't understand why 4 different stations in town feel it necessary to steal bandwidth from their main broadcasts to broadcast a weather map.

There are two stations in town that are actually splitting their allocated bandwidth into 4 channels. Yes, they have 4 stations now, but they all look like crap.
When I was serving a customer at Plano yesterday, she moved to a house that has an OTA antenna on it, few twisted elements and the antenna actually pointed to wrong position, a neibour next house also pointed the antenna to the same position as this house, wonder is that was a DIY or a hired guy did it. The picture on all channels are full of snowy and only couple channels are a bit better.

Since the custemer purchased a new Sony 42" HD TV, I found out even those regular channels are fuzzy or snowy reception, but these few HD and Digital channels ( total about 7 in search ) are producing quite good crystal clear picture. I don't think Dallas-Fort Worth all the television stations are transmitting digital signal yet that only remain just few channels are in digital or HD format. After I redo the antenna and most of the channels came back in good shape, and re-scan the television, still showed to me there only 7 in digital and HD channels.

I think I need to learn more about this, from the about situation, even the antenna pointed to wrong position, it still can produce clear picture and is lots better then regular TV reception. In this newly (not so) technology, I have to answer some basic question that customer may ask or I will give them a just OOOOO, and better get out of this business. :D

digital is clearer because it doesn't suffer the affects of analog.....

Digital has more advantage over analog. It takes up less bandwidth in the UHF and VHF spectrum. With Digital both SD and HD channels suffer no ghosting or noise such as snow. The signals only block out when there is not enough signal being received by the receiver and the channel is therefore rendered unwatchable.

sksatellite said:
After I redo the antenna and most of the channels came back in good shape, and re-scan the television, still showed to me there only 7 in digital and HD channels.

Then you need to replace or reposition that antenna. I live 45 miles from the Dallas broadcast towers at Ceder Hill, and my antenna is up in my attic.

I get the following DIGITAL channels, locked in solid on a Samsung OTA box I bought off ebay for $60. A total of 27 channels from 17 broadcasters. There are more I could pick up with a second antenna *or* an antenna rotor.

2-1
4-1
5-1, 5-2
8-1, 8-2
11-1
13-1
21-1, 21-2
23-1
27-1
30-1
33-1,33-2
39-1
46-1
49-1
52-1
58-1, 58-2, 58-3, 58-4
68-1, 68-2, 68-3, 68-4

They all look better than the overcompressed junk that DISH and DTV offer... except the 2 stations splitting to 4 channels, they look close to what DISH and DTV offer for locals.

The digitals all look really good on my 65" HD set.

PS: Sorry to have hijacked the thread guys....

Diamond Jim said:
No problem, this is some interesting discussion. But Iceberg is the only one coming close to answering my question.
I think the key word in your question is 'we'.

Google FTA and you'll get a half million hack sites. FTA has a 'stealing Dish Network / Bev' connotation.

As far as I'm concerned, Iceberg nailed it.

On a side note - I stayed up at Lake Powell this weekend and the hotel's TV system was showing 'The Hotel Network' (AMC 4) mux. I got a grin outta that.

Shawn95GT said:
the hotel's TV system was showing 'The Hotel Network' (AMC 4) mux. I got a grin outta that.

I like that.

I am glad that you and Iceberg agree. As I said, the way I see it is, if I ain't paying, it's FTA, no matter what format it's in. :yes

snathanb said:
Then you need to replace or reposition that antenna. I live 45 miles from the Dallas broadcast towers at Ceder Hill, and my antenna is up in my attic.

I get the following DIGITAL channels, locked in solid on a Samsung OTA box I bought off ebay for $60. A total of 27 channels from 17 broadcasters. There are more I could pick up with a second antenna *or* an antenna rotor.

2-1
4-1
5-1, 5-2
8-1, 8-2
11-1
13-1
21-1, 21-2
23-1
27-1
30-1
33-1,33-2
39-1
46-1
49-1
52-1
58-1, 58-2, 58-3, 58-4
68-1, 68-2, 68-3, 68-4

They all look better than the overcompressed junk that DISH and DTV offer... except the 2 stations splitting to 4 channels, they look close to what DISH and DTV offer for locals.

The digitals all look really good on my 65" HD set.

PS: Sorry to have hijacked the thread guys....

I just redo the same antenna, straighten some bend elements., set the antenna to the right position.

In Ceder Hill, I recomment you buy a more expensive antenna from Fry Electronics if there one close by, Radio Shack antenna does not carry the good one you should need. THe real one you will looking is the one that has more elements, the post the hold those elements should extent to 15'. This is the one I used at my old house at Dallas. In Ceder Hill,you may has the multi benefits on those stations as they are at your north side at most.
;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts