subchannel guide on dish

cool80z

PIT MEMBER
Original poster
Jul 23, 2009
So Cal
I live in the Los Angeles area and channel 5.2 this TV moved to 5.3. The program guide did have the info for 5.2 before now it is gone on 5.3 also they are adding antenna TV to 5.2. I hope they will have a guide for that as well. I called customer service however I didn't get the impression he got that I was talking about a re- mapping issue. Who is the best contact for this?

Hello, I am LA DMA, as well and know exactly what you are talking about, and I agree it is now annoying to no longer have the info for This TV that has now been moved to 5.3. Once again, my TiVo Series 3 has all the program info at 5.3 for This and even 5.2 (in the future display) for the new Antenna TV at 5.2. Ironically, these two channels will have a few programs I would record to watch later, as I have done with This TV a few times in the past, so the guide for both of them becomes critical.

Non of the CSR's are really going to be able to help you with this. I think our best chance is with the tech department. You can try an email to them (I forgot the email address) or calling them on the phone and see if you get anyone who knows what you are talking about.

Dish really should be much better at making these changes and monitoring the multiplex channels issues. I have to be fair and say that they have added a lot of guide info for several channels in the LA DMA since, but there are still an alarming number of other multi-plexed channels that are still "Digital Service" only. What really hurts is that TiVo is really good about this and keeps up with the changes within a day or two, very fast and impressive. Certainly Dish could do at least as well as TiVo on this matter. We can only hope.

Hello cool80z, I see you got helpful tips from DishSubLA and I wanted to also add that if you are using a HD receiver and have an OTA (over the air) antenna connected to the receiver you can pick up the alternate channels no broadcast in our local package. You will need to scan those locals and once the receiver finds the local channels they will be added to the guide in yellow.

If you Dish guys really cared, you would read the posts and fix the problem! The problem is no information in the guide, so that makes it hard to record "digital service". This is what we pay $6.00 a month for, to record channels.

Hello cool80z, I see you got helpful tips from DishSubLA and I wanted to also add that if you are using a HD receiver and have an OTA (over the air) antenna connected to the receiver you can pick up the alternate channels no broadcast in our local package. You will need to scan those locals and once the receiver finds the local channels they will be added to the guide in yellow.

MikeH, cool80z already knows that. He wouldn't know about the subchannels if he didn't have an antenna and scanned them in to his receiver. What he is talking about is that the subchannels do not have programming information for them in the guide, it simply says "Digital Service." He also pointed out that, before the subchannel was moved from 5.2 to 5.3, the programming information was there. This proves that the information is available but Dish is not passing it along.

Thank you all who responded to my post. I talked to Dish on the phone (tier 2 tech support. They Indicated it is the local stations fault, which I find hard to believe. I contacted KTLA Engineering by email but no response there. So if Anyone from dish reads this please help those in the Los Angeles DMA who wasnt to enjoy this channel without having to guess what is on or have to set manual DVR timers.

We don't have any program information on either of the "This TV" channels up here, 42.3 from Mt. Diablo or 58.2 from Sacramento. Both just indicate "Digital Service".

Larry
SF