Success: 921 with DP Plus 44 and DP Plus Separator

ThierryFL

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
I have successfully hooked up my 921 last night with a DPP44 and DPP Separator.
I just followed the instructions on the booklet that came with the DPP44.
Located near Tampa (FL), I have a Dish 500 (110/119) and a Dish 300 (61.5).
It all worked like Scott said in his review. I am using component cables, the quality is very good, I will be able to compare tomorrow with DVI-D (cable on its way from PacificCable).
I did not find anything wrong with the 921 so far.
The only comment I have is regarding the leds on the 921: They are too bright.
After being 7 months on the 921 waiting list I must say that I am very happy.

FYI - I just converted all LNB's and switches from legacy to DishPro with a DPP44 and seperators. Both the 921 and 721 work great as well as a 508 and a 6000. The 6000 switch check still reports a SW64 but works great.

Ahh - the mysterys of Dish equipment. :yes

Stingray said:
FYI - I just converted all LNB's and switches from legacy to DishPro with a DPP44 and seperators. Both the 921 and 721 work great as well as a 508 and a 6000. The 6000 switch check still reports a SW64 but works great.
Is it true that the 6000 does not need a legacy adapter with the DPP44 switch?

Yes thats correct, the DPP44 has built in DishPro Adapters in them. a Dish 6000 will display a SW64 when you do a check switch.

The DPP44 is a very cool piece of equipment.

Also since they are a major supporter of SatelliteGuys, I should mention that DishStore.NET is the ONLY company online to have the DPP44 switch IN STOCK! (And I understand they still have a few 921's as well) :D

I'm happy with it, now that I got the Separator working. If anyone besides me has problems getting the Separator working on port #1 of the DPP44 switch, let me know... I put the power inserter close to the switch (about 10 inches of RG6 between the inserter and the switch), the RG6 about 25 feet to the 921.

To get it working, I had to run a second feed directly to another port, do a check switch, then remove the second feed and replace it with the Separator, on ports 2, 3 or 4 (i've tested all three).

To futher support Scott, the advanced tech CSR I spoke with was flabbergasted I even had a DPP44 switch, as he had never taken a call yet from someone with one (scary). He asked where I got it... DishStore.NET!

Scott Greczkowski said:
Yes thats correct, the DPP44 has built in DishPro Adapters in them. a Dish 6000 will display a SW64 when you do a check switch.

The DPP44 is a very cool piece of equipment.

Also since they are a major supporter of SatelliteGuys, I should mention that DishStore.NET is the ONLY company online to have the DPP44 switch IN STOCK! (And I understand they still have a few 921's as well) :D

jsa_sf said:
I'm happy with it, now that I got the Separator working. If anyone besides me has problems getting the Separator working on port #1 of the DPP44 switch, let me know... I put the power inserter close to the switch (about 10 inches of RG6 between the inserter and the switch), the RG6 about 25 feet to the 921.

To get it working, I had to run a second feed directly to another port, do a check switch, then remove the second feed and replace it with the Separator, on ports 2, 3 or 4 (i've tested all three).

To futher support Scott, the advanced tech CSR I spoke with was flabbergasted I even had a DPP44 switch, as he had never taken a call yet from someone with one (scary). He asked where I got it... DishStore.NET!
If you don't mind, what was your configuration PRIOR to installing the DPP44? I'm trying to figure out where the install issues are coing from, and a good standard method to get through the install.

I had a DP34 switch, with 119 in input 1, 110 in input 2, and 61.5 in input 3.

The 921 was not connected at this point, for various reasons, including that I was waiting for the DPP44 switch to be available...

In my last house, I had the 921 hooked into two separate feeds into a SW64. That was the last configuration the 921 ever saw before I plugged it into tha DPP44 switch.

Is this helping? Also, I was able to download 1.86 through the DPP44 switch with a single tuner connected. Oddly, the instructions say that is possible, but it would be via tuner #2 yet I was doing it through tuner #1.

SimpleSimon said:
If you don't mind, what was your configuration PRIOR to installing the DPP44? I'm trying to figure out where the install issues are coing from, and a good standard method to get through the install.

I have just purchased the 921, 44 and separator. I was told that you had to download the software before the separator would work. I have a legacy system in place and thought I could do the download to the satellite 2 input before installing the new hardware dishpro lnbf, 44 and separator. This is not working and every level of support I can get from Dish says I must have two inputs to the receiver. Obviously if that were true I would have no use for the new hardware. HELP................

Oldster: You don't tell us what you currently have, so we can't try to recommend something simple using it.

However, the DishPro LNBF has to be at least a Twin, and therefore can drive both inputs of the 921 so that you can get L1.86 downloaded.

Yeah, it's a pain, you might have to do some hokey temporary crap, but it'll get-r-done. :D

Mount the DP Twin, get it's feeds to the 921 any way you can. Run Check Switch. Software download should start right up. Use Menu-6-7 to check it. Go to lunch. Come back. Front-panel reboot. Wait for it to become happy. Disconnect satellite feeds. Run Check Switch. Pull Power Plug. Install DPP44, Separator, grounding devices, etc. Hook it up, run Check Switch. Enjoy.

Oldster said:
So I would still need two feeds just to download the software?

I was able to do it with one feed, essentially. I had the DPP44 switch installed, only a single feed from it to the 921 and a Separator, but on v.185!
It downloaded 1.86 via what it thought was "Tuner #1..."

I got the software, no problem. The rest...well see above.

-Jay

I installed the DishPro dual lnbf, the DPP44, power inserter and could not get it to download the software. Even threw in the separator for laughs and nothing there. I then went around the DPP44 and the power inserter directly to Sat 2 input, still no luck. What am I doing wrong? My installed software is L054HECD-N.

First, is it a DishPro Dual, or a Twin??? Let's get the terms rght to avoid confusion.

Twins/Quads are "wide" with 2 eyes. A twin has 2 outputs, a Quad has 4.

Anyway, have you tried what I said to do? On re-reading my post, maybe you thought that "get it's feeds to the 921 any way you can" meant "go ahead and use the DPP44 that's not supported with the version of software you have" as opposed to "take it's feeds VIA NOTHING BUT CABLE AND CONNECTORS to the 921".

I AM assuming that the Dish is already aimed.

It is a twin and the dish is already pointed. I removed a 501 to put in the 921. I understood your first suggestion but don't have the length of cable necessary to run two into the house. Was hoping for some help from people who have done it with one line. Thanks though.

Alternative solution: Put the 921 out next to the switch and either hook a portable TV to it or use the single long run to feed TV out from 921 to TV.

Why do I say this? Because the single-run method usually does not work. By the time you fight with it, you might as well just do it correctly.

Yeah, well, hailstorms are not usually a good time to download software anyway. If you think rain causes fade - hail is a hailofa lot worse. :D

I took your first suggestion and ran another line from the dish to the receiver. Everything downloaded fine and am now running off the DPP44 and separator. Thanks for the help.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts