Success! I found my first satellite :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

northgeorgia

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 14, 2011
North GA
I know it's been half a year since I've been here, but I finally got a stable mount for my dish. It made a world of difference. I adjusted the elevation according to the scale on the back of the dish, and pointed it in the proper compass direction. Then I used The List, and in particular, Iceberg's post of the strongest transponders on each satellite, and picked one for Galaxy 19. Switched the box on -- Nothing. But my compass is really cheap, so I remembered a landmark from the dishpointer site, sort of eyeballed the landmark, and rotated the dish over slightly. Instant success! I was surprised how easy it was, but I would have never had been able to do it without all of your helpful pieces of advice here. Now my brother wants an FTA setup too :D

Just wanted to share. I caught the first bird on my own -- didn't know if I'd be able to do it :cool:

I have been doing it for years - still love the feeling of hitting a satellite!
Congrats
Bob

Congrats on your success.

But later on, I wouldn't try it blindfolded, those red wasps are very sneaky in where they can hide a nest. And they don't usually give many warning shots around here!

But later on, I wouldn't try it blindfolded, those red wasps are very sneaky in where they can hide a nest. And they don't usually give many warning shots around here!

Boy ain't that the truth.

Everyone remembers those precious moments of life....
The first kiss.
The first car.
The first night with your girlfriend.
The first satellite.

northgeorgia said:
I know it's been half a year since I've been here, but I finally got a stable mount for my dish. It made a world of difference. I adjusted the elevation according to the scale on the back of the dish, and pointed it in the proper compass direction. Then I used The List, and in particular, Iceberg's post of the strongest transponders on each satellite, and picked one for Galaxy 19. Switched the box on -- Nothing. But my compass is really cheap, so I remembered a landmark from the dishpointer site, sort of eyeballed the landmark, and rotated the dish over slightly. Instant success! I was surprised how easy it was, but I would have never had been able to do it without all of your helpful pieces of advice here. Now my brother wants an FTA setup too :D

Just wanted to share. I caught the first bird on my own -- didn't know if I'd be able to do it :cool:

I need help making a choice on what fta dish to get a motor mount are stationary mount whats best??

I need help making a choice on what fta dish to get a motor mount are(or) stationary mount whats best??
There's no 'best' in your choices. Only a difference in capabilities and convenience. A stationary dish will get one satellite*. To get another requires you to re-position it. A motorized, although more difficult to initially install, will move to the satellite selected by the receiver.
*you may be able to install multiple LNBF's for more than one satellite on a 'fixed' dish. Requires a DISEQC switch to select LNBF. See Switches Simplified in the FAQ's.
For Ku band a 36 or 39 inch is usually recommended. For C band, a minimum of a 6 ft is needed. Recommend larger, 8-10 ft, if possible.

cyberham said:
If you can see from one spot the portion of the satellite arc where the satellites you want are located, get a motor. If your site doesn't provide that luxury due to obstacles, you may want to install a couple or more fixed dishes instead.

Is cband still worth getting in two

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts