Suffering Without Dish....10 Days Later...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Matt

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Oct 27, 2004
After cutting my knot from SBC/Dishnetwork (officially called "De-Bundeling") I am HD and Vooming since last night - 110,119,121 and 61.5 - with a SuperDish, Dish500 - DPpro44 switch -> one 625, one 921 and one 942 receiver.
Life can't be much better :) !
I had the 921 before - the 942 is new.
Highly sofisticated pre-tests with both of them on "Rave" with Genesis are still under way.
Those results make me believe, that the sound is slightly delayed - First the picture - and later the sound - you will see it, when you "read their lips(z)"
I noticed this first on my Sanyo 30" HDTV. So the next step was checking my Sony DLP 55" HDTV. The sound delay was slightly bigger.
Everybody who had Physics in school and loved it - might remember, that Light is faster than sound - which would explain the delay of the sound - Right?
So to correct this problem - I would need about 60,000 miles (100,000.00 Km) of cable - where the picture is send before it reaches my TV and my eyes and ears at the same time - and all would be solved -> "lip-synchron".
Any other ideas would be highly appreciated!
Thank you for all your support to make my life halfway bearable without Dish !
Matt :D :D

The transmission rate of audio and video are the same through a cable and when being bounced off of the satellite. The only place where the light is moving faster is over the last 8-10' between your chair and your TV & speakers. The time lapse over that distance is essentially zero.

What you are seeing is the processing for your audio and video is out of sync. One is making its way through your system faster than the other is. Some HT A/V receivers have a sync setting which allows you to adjust for this difference. As you noted, different TVs can produce different results. As can HDTV receivers and A/V receivers & pre/pros.

But....Now I am watching Sheryl Crow on Rave and Not Only The Picture is way crispier, her body is way sharper and her LIPS are moving synchronised to her words.
I think the HDTV tech on "ground-control" must like her as much as I do....
Anyway, I admit it - I was having fun - and waited to see, if somebody replies.
Thank You Very much Tom - I hope you got a smile out of it too :)
Wishing y'all a great HD weekend!
Matt :D

What??

Matt,
"Everybody who had Physics in school and loved it - might remember, that Light is faster than sound - which would explain the delay of the sound - Right?"

Sure, I remember all that. But, remember too that this is all 1's and 0's being transmitted via radio frequency. So light and sound speed has nothing to do with it. I don't know the speed of an rf signal, don't really care though.

Yep, Real sharp: I'd eat Crow!!!!

fred

Well, in the tone of the first light/sound delay observation, just set up a series of mirrors to reflect the light from the picture through a path of 982 feet for every micro-second of delay you are experiencing.

lip-synch help

Matt- I dont know if this is the kind of help you had in mind, but the newer receivers from Onkyo ,Sony, and just about all the rest of the big names have a feature to synchronize digital audio with the picture. They all ahve different names for it. I will go do a little research and get back.

the Yamaha 5790 has "Audio Synch" "for adjusting lip synch". that was the first I found . it costs $474. there are others-- I'm on the lookout for the perfect receiver so I window shop on the net constantly.

DarrellP said:
You'll have to settle for sloppy seconds, Lance Armstrong's chowing down on her now. :D

I just love to share, so no problem here :D
Thank y'all!
Matt :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts