Suggestion for a Cheap OTA Antenna?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jace

Original poster
Jan 28, 2006
I need to get a cheap OTA antenna to work with my HR10-250, I'm looking for an outdoor antenna I can have DTV mount on the roof near the dish.

I'm in a 1st floor unit with lots of trees so a regular indood is not working. I live within the city of Chicago so shouldn't take much to get all the OTA HD broadcasts.

Any suggestions?

DTV said they would provide a account credit for the cost of the antenna up to $50 and install it for free.

I am very happy with the channel master suburban. Don't remember the exact model number but it has 4 vhf elements and 5 or 6 uhf elements and is not too large. Works good to about 25 mles or so depending upon obstructions.

Jace said:
I need to get a cheap OTA antenna to work with my HR10-250, I'm looking for an outdoor antenna I can have DTV mount on the roof near the dish.

I'm in a 1st floor unit with lots of trees so a regular indood is not working. I live within the city of Chicago so shouldn't take much to get all the OTA HD broadcasts.

Any suggestions?

DTV said they would provide a account credit for the cost of the antenna up to $50 and install it for free.

Channel Master CM3030 UHF/VHF/FM Chicago Market TV Antenna

A nice short range antenna, but its UHF only which will not work for his application; every user's situation must be examined separately, as there is NO "one size fits all" solution for OTA antennas. The range, frequencies, topography, install method, etc, all need to be taken into account BEFORE recommending a specific antenna.

jjnemoiii said:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2103088&cp=&origkw=uhf+antenna &kw=uhf+antenna&parentPage=search $25.00, and it works great for me, all stations 26-28 miles away.

Anyone using that Radio Shack in their attic ?? I'm around 7 miles from the towers and am not big on an outdoor antenna (currently). I do have a Terk HDTVi that does very well, but I want something "bigger" and am considering my options.

Considering that Terk you have is basically the Zenith Silver Sensor, at 5 miles or so from your towers and an 11° spread, that RS U-75R antenna might have enough gain to work in the attic.

hall said:
Anyone using that Radio Shack in their attic ?? I'm around 7 miles from the towers and am not big on an outdoor antenna (currently). I do have a Terk HDTVi that does very well, but I want something "bigger" and am considering my options.
Yes, we're 6.5 miles from the towers per antennaweb.org and this Radio Shack UHF antenna works great in our attic for our HD. We have it split to two HD TV's.

hall said:

I'm about 15 mile from our antenna farm and I'm running a SS-2000, with powered amp, in the attic and it works great...it needs the amp to pull in the vhf channels. Both video and audio (5.1) come in great.

Hope this helps...:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)