Suggestions for C Band Set-Up Please

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

sidekick

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 17, 2005
Port Angeles, Washington
Well, my escrow closes the first week in November, so I'm thinking about the C-band set-up for the backyard. Will I be able to receive much with a 6' dish in California? If I'm able to I'd rather not go bigger. If need be, then I will. Can some of you please make suggestions about what a good set-up would be? I already have both a Coolsat 4000 and a Coolsat 5000 that I recently picked up through Satellite AV. Would would be a good C-Band set-up to use with that receiver? Thanks!!!

Can't go wrong with a 10 footer! But if 6' is the biggest you can get, just make it work, sure you will be satisfied either way. I love mine and with FTA, love it even more!

A well tuned 6ft dish properly aligned should give you good performance for everyday viewing ... but just in case you want to supersize it later on - when you install your 6ft, plant a pole tall enough with a footing strong enough to handle a 10. All it will cost you is a few feet of pipe and a few sacks of readymix.

For a C-band receiver I would recommend looking for a used IRD with a non-dead VCII module installed. Even if you have no intention of ever subscribing to any VCII programing, there is VCII programing on C-band in "fixed key" mode - any previously authorized VCII module will decode such programing.

I haven't shopped recently, but my guess is the IRD should set you back less than $50.

Last edited:
sidekick said:
Well, my escrow closes the first week in November, so I'm thinking about the C-band set-up for the backyard. Will I be able to receive much with a 6' dish in California? If I'm able to I'd rather not go bigger. If need be, then I will. Can some of you please make suggestions about what a good set-up would be? I already have both a Coolsat 4000 and a Coolsat 5000 that I recently picked up through Satellite AV. Would would be a good C-Band set-up to use with that receiver? Thanks!!!

I would not go with a 6' thats a bit small, you may want to at least go with the Sat AV 240cm it's just 2' bigger, with the 8' you should be able to pull in more channels and can always upgrade to 4dtv if you wish.

An 8 footer would be do-able. Perhaps I should set my sites a bit bigger?? :shh Don't tell the wife ... lol

tdti1 said:
I would not go with a 6' thats a bit small, you may want to at least go with the Sat AV 240cm it's just 2' bigger, with the 8' you should be able to pull in more channels and can always upgrade to 4dtv if you wish.

Thanks for the advice about the bigger dish. Won't my Coolsat receiver work for C-Band?

GrumpyGuy said:
A well tuned 6ft dish properly aligned should give you good performance for everyday viewing ... but just in case you want to supersize it later on - when you install your 6ft, plant a pole tall enough with a footing strong enough to handle a 10. All it will cost you is a few feet of pipe and a few sacks of readymix.

For a C-band receiver I would recommend looking for a used IRD with a non-dead VCII module installed. Even if you have no intention of ever subscribing to any VCII programing, there is VCII programing on C-band in "fixed key" mode - any previously authorized VCII module will decode such programing.

I haven't shopped recently, but my guess is the IRD should set you back less than $50.

Sidekick,

To get the most out of your dish, an analog receiver would be a great addition. They are cheap on Ebay (just get the remote with it!). Analog is worth the money to me just for the ease in aiming. Your Coolsat will get C Band DVB channels (check Lyngsat). The bigger the dish the better, but PSB has had good results with a Sami mesh dish setup.

Best of luck!

tdti1 said:
I have my 4dtv to control the arm and polarity settings, I use it for analog and digital DCII free channels and subscription channels, I have both c/ku and have a DVB receiver slaved to the 4dtv like this:
http://www.dmsiusa.com/add_a_receiver.htm
Same here, with the exception in the splitters and diseqc's. I use a 4x1 HF splitter with one port power passthrough and go to my 4dtv with the power passthrough and the rest to three different DVB receivers. The DVB receivers have 4x1 diseqc switches from the BUD and two other ku dishes. I love it!

Al

My goodness Al, you just gave me a headache ...lol Do you do installs? :D

voomvoom said:
Same here, with the exception in the splitters and diseqc's. I use a 4x1 HF splitter with one port power passthrough and go to my 4dtv with the power passthrough and the rest to three different DVB receivers. The DVB receivers have 4x1 diseqc switches from the BUD and two other ku dishes. I love it!

Al

Well, sorry about that. Just look at the diagram and imagine the 2x1 splitters are 4x1 splitters and the 2x1 diseqc switches are 4x1 diseqc switches and there are 2 more DVB receivers with there own diseqc switches. And, enough extra lnbf's from other ku dishes, to fill up all the ports on the diseqc switches.
I only do my own installs.

Al

I was just kidding about the installs. This is just another step up on the learning curve. Oh for the days when you had to know how far to spead the rabbit ears. :) Thanks again for all the information!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)