Suggestions for ota

rvanya

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 6, 2006
I live in a small town in Northern Oklahoma. I am 100 miles north of OKC and 70 miles south of Wichita. I would like suggestions on an antenna I could use to get ota from either spot. I know I need an amplified antenna but no one local or in the metro areas seem to be able to help me. They simply don't know much about the stuff at this point. Thanx in advance.
rv

100 miles is quite a distance. You may have trouble receiving anything that far out. You need to go to antenna web and find out what stations are available to you. They will also suggest the type of antenna you will need.

snaggerbob said:
100 miles is quite a distance. You may have trouble receiving anything that far out. You need to go to antenna web and find out what stations are available to you. They will also suggest the type of antenna you will need.

Agreed, notwithstanding some of the rather outrageous claims made by some of the antenna manufacturers, getting a clear, consistent signal at 100 miles is going to be quite a challenge.

A high-gain antenna, an amp and a rotor with the antenna mounted as high and as clear on the horizon (no obstructions that you can see or do anything about) as you can practically get it would be the starting point.

After you look at antennaweb.org and find the distance and direction of the channels you wish to receive, be sure and review the info at:
http://antennaweb.org/aw/info.aspx?page=more_info as well.

Look at http://www.2150.com/broadcast/default.asp click the second URL in the header area to input your zipcode to convert it to Lat/Lon. Input your Lat/Lon into this site and it will show you ALL digital licenses within whatever radius you ask for.

Full power stations, your best bet might be Wichita with KSNW-DT NBC on digital Ch 45 at 891 kW; KSAS-DT FOX on digital Ch 26 at 350kW; KAKE-DT ABC on digital Ch 21 at 850kW. All of these are about 80 miles out (I'm assuming you are near Ponca City).

If you want digitals go with a deep fringe UHF antenna such as a CM 4228 with a CM7777 preamp, add a rotator and you probably have just as good a shot at Oklahoma City or Tulsa, you seem to be about equadistant from all three.

Oklahoma City appears to have several UFH Digitals at 1000kW
Tulsa has a couple in the 800-1000kW range.

Using Ponca City as a reference, the distances are:

Wichita KS - 78 miles
Oklahoma City - 80 miles
Tulsa - 90 miles.

Pick your poison.

rvanya said:
I live in a small town in Northern Oklahoma. I am 100 miles north of OKC and 70 miles south of Wichita. I would like suggestions on an antenna I could use to get ota from either spot. I know I need an amplified antenna but no one local or in the metro areas seem to be able to help me. They simply don't know much about the stuff at this point. Thanx in advance.
rv

One antenna maven has his high performance system posted at:
http://www.highdefforum.com/showthread.php?t=14818

It's designed to pick up both VHF and UHF signals further than predicted by www.antennaweb.org .

If you want HD signals only, the Wichita HD stations are all UHF but CBS is 20 miles further than the other stations, so a one-city solution is unlikely for you.

In Tulsa, the ABC DTV station is on channel 10, all others are UHF. In Oklahoma City, ABC is on channel 7, all others are UHF.

You could start with the channel Master 4228 UHF only with a 7777 preamp, plus the rotator and see what works for you.

If you can get ABC from Wichita and the others from either Tulsa or Oklahoma City, you've got all the networks.

To add ABC, the Delhi is expensive and works on channels 2-13. You can play with the Antennacraft Y10-7-13 which is designed for channels 7-13 only. The Delhi can survive high winds better than the Antennacraft, but the Antennacraft adds much less windload to the rotator and mast.

These can be obtained from: http://www.warrenelectronics.com

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)