Suggestions on aiming the dish?

randyg

Original poster
Sep 14, 2005
I have a DishNetwork dish still on the house from service with them 3 years ago. I just bought a DishNetwork 301 receiver on eBay. Hooked them up and I'm getting DishNetwork's promo channel fine. Anyone have a suggestion for how to realign the dish to find the SkyAngel satellite at 61.5 degrees West? I could try to find an installer locally who can move the dish but thought one of you good folks might have some practical advise on how to find the satellite. Thanks for any input.

The dish itself has markings on it to help you with the elevation (up-down angle)and azimuth (left-right) angle. To find out where you need to point, go to the point dish screen on the menu in your 301. Select 61.5. Facing the same way as the dish yoiu need to move the dish about 90 degrees to the left. All you need is a ratchet and monkey wrench and you are ready to adjust the dish yourself. Be patient when moving the dish. First do a rough aim, then move the dish one or two degrees at a time. Wait a few seconds to see if the receiver gets signal. Keep doing this until you get signal. The make very small moves to peak your signal.

I'm sure installers here can give you other pointers.

Good luck!

See ya
Tony

Thanks so much for the response Tony. I'll give this a try. I appreciate it.

If you have the 301, go into the setup (menu 6-1-1) and go to peak angels

put your zip in, select 61.5 and dish 300 and it will give you your elevation for the dish and where to aim it :)

randyg said:
I have a DishNetwork dish still on the house from service with them 3 years ago. I just bought a DishNetwork 301 receiver on eBay. Hooked them up and I'm getting DishNetwork's promo channel fine. Anyone have a suggestion for how to realign the dish to find the SkyAngel satellite at 61.5 degrees West? I could try to find an installer locally who can move the dish but thought one of you good folks might have some practical advise on how to find the satellite. Thanks for any input.

hi, i used a part 15 fm transmitter hooked up to my dish receiver audio output and listen on a portable fm radio for the high pitch sound when its on the satellite. when aligning the dish.
god bless
John

To make your numbers true for elevation you must make sure your mast/pole is plumb. Move the dish very slowly afterwards making sure that you have the signal strength screen on 61.5.

Thank you all for your input on this. I had to move the dish to another location on the roof but haven't been able to dial in the signal yet. Trying again tomorrow.

Remember that the signal comes in from 22 degrees higher than the dish appears to point. Just make sure there aren't any obstructions in the line of sight.

Goo luck

See ya
Tony

No trees in the way. Tomorrow I'm going to check to make sure that the mast is plumb. It looked good when I screwed it down, but I want to make sure. I'll let you know if I get it working. Thanks again for all your help. :)

Stargazer said:
Is there any trees that could be blocking the view?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)