Suggestions solicited

ckgrick

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 3, 2004
After months and months (years, really) of indecision I finally ordered a Panny plasma TV. Now what do I do for an E* HD receiver and recorder since I time-shift everything (except news). I currently use two E* JVC DVHS receivers and three JVC SVHS recorders. You all have scared me some with the E*921 and 811 posts. I see my options as:

1. Lease the E*811 and buy the new JVC HMDH5U DVHS recorder,
2. Buy the E*921 and hope, or
3. Do nothing and wait for the E*942.

OTA is not an issue where I live, unless you want to watch Canadian TV. Suggestions appreciated.

I would go with the 921.

But if you're not married to E* and you live in a network O&O DMA or a "white" area, you might want to consider the D* HD DirecTivo. D* has CBS & NBC up now and FOX is coming. And FWIW, BravoHD+ has more "compelling" HD content than TNTHD, IMO.

Thanks. I thought about D* as an option, but I sort of hate to think of going through the process of switching and giving up on the E* specific DVHS receivers/recorders, and the multi-switch hardware. I'm in the zone for sure as you can only get one US station here and that's if you don't mind a little year round snow in your reception.

I originally went with E* some years ago because at the time their HDTV signal was rated superior to D*. I agree the HD offerings at E* leave at lot to be desired. I subscribe to all the premium movie channels (except Cinemax), so I'll have to be content with those for now.

The 921 is pretty stable now. I would not wait for the 942. One would think that it would be more stable since it probably is based on the 921. However, Dish may only introduce it to new customers to lease. It seems that's the way they are going and I also hope so since I need three 921's but will not pay $3000 for them.

My 2

Current edition of Wired magazine ranks E* HD above DirecTV HD (but they did say DirecTV has the better sports selection). Voom got the highest marks and kudos.

Thanks to all for the input. I did look into VOOM briefly, but I have to get my "local" channels by sat, so they're out of the equation. If I watched sports, I don't, it would have been D* from the beginning.

Looks like I'll go with the 921. I hear you bdemz. I have three feeds going now and I guess it will go to four with the addition of the 921. $1,000 a pop is not wallet friendly, although when I think back to how much I paid for my first VCR's and first SVHS VCR's, it's sort of a bargain (I'm a reformed early adopter). The other feeds are going to keep their SD TV's for a while.

My 921 is pretty stable. I have had relativity few problems. It gets better with each software update (currently about 1 per month).

Since you will not use it for OTA locals, you should have very few problems.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts