Summary of 811 problems?

811 - Buy or not?

I have been reading the complaint list for the 811. I guess the question is, should I buy the 811 or keep my trusty 6000?

Although it's the next generation, the 6000 seems more reliable w/ it's inherent bugs aside.

--Shichonni

:rolleyes:

Re: 811 - Buy or not?

Shichonni said:
I have been reading the complaint list for the 811. I guess the question is, should I buy the 811 or keep my trusty 6000?

Although it's the next generation, the 6000 seems more reliable w/ it's inherent bugs aside.

--Shichonni

I had a 6K and replaced it with the 811. I sold the 6K right away so I didn't have it to fall back on when I found all the problems that I was having with the 811. If I hadn't sold it I would have gone back to using the 6K until the 811 bugs got fixed. But since I couldn't stand all the problems with the 811 I also sold it and went back to Comcast.

So my advice it so keep the 6K until you see that folks are reporting that newer software is correcting the problems that you think you'd run into. Good luck - RAD

Mark_AR said:
Here is a neat little bug I found this morning.

Browsing the GUIDE and all of a sudden the screen froze. No navigating seemed to help.

Pressed POWER off on remote. The little blue light went out. The screen still was froze on the guide I was viewing.

OK this is weird. Power ON...blue light on, still frozen on guide display. Did this off-on-off-on cycle several times just to watch the pretty blue light blink on and off while the guide remains frozen on the screen.

Got up off the couch and tapped the power button, blue light went out, but guide remained on TV. Tapped it again, light came on, guide remained.

Thinking my TV was froze, I selected a different source, DVD and it switched and played DVD fine, switched back to 811 and guide was still present with power light off.

Did a HARD RESET :hammer: by holding power button for 5 seconds. Rebooted system and it works fine now.

Just seemed strange for the power indicator to be active with the rest of the system hung.

======
Mark's Law: If you can't fix it, use a bigger hammer!

I've had this problem numerous times also. 3-4 that I can recall off hand.

I do have all problems documented at home and I have experienced almost every single one listed, except the DD 5.1 problem. However I have experienced sound drop out on HD channels.

Also, don't noticed dark picture on S-video since I have mine component.

I just noticed that my time on the guide clock and the guide time is incorrect. I am in the Central zone and the time and guide are on Eastern. Does anyone else have a time zone problem.

rad said:
I had a 6K and replaced it with the 811. I sold the 6K right away so I didn't have it to fall back on when I found all the problems that I was having with the 811. If I hadn't sold it I would have gone back to using the 6K until the 811 bugs got fixed. But since I couldn't stand all the problems with the 811 I also sold it and went back to Comcast.

Damn dude, that's desperate! Even with the bugs, do you get the visual quality with Comcast as you did with the 811 or 6000? Only decent cable company I have delt with yet is Time Warner. Their digital cable and DVR services are excellent with really good picture quality. But due to only having the option of Media Works here in Atlanta (these guys are 10years behind in technology) I had to go with DishNetwork. Glad I did, I'm lovin' it.

ocaddict said:
rad said:

Damn dude, that's desperate! Even with the bugs, do you get the visual quality with Comcast as you did with the 811 or 6000? Only decent cable company I have delt with yet is Time Warner. Their digital cable and DVR services are excellent with really good picture quality. But due to only having the option of Media Works here in Atlanta (these guys are 10years behind in technology) I had to go with DishNetwork. Glad I did, I'm lovin' it.

Their digital and HD offerings look as good as E*'s to me on my 55" Mits HD RTPV. The analog looks like it has a bad SNR and Comcast it looking into the problem. They cut over to their rebuild system on 12/18 so they're still working some of the bugs out of it.

I have this one major flaw, I won't give my money to a company that I feel is not providing service at the level I expect or at a good value. Since Dish wasn't meeting those requirements I've taken my money elsewhere. American corporations only listen when they start to see the $'s go away so hopefully someone at Dish will be looking to see why they've lost a customer that spent over $1,600 on hardware and over $120 per month on programming.

Using the 811's stretch on SD sat sources looks better on my Mits 48 than the 501 it replaced. I lost the toslink digital output once, reboot fixed it. On OTA HD programs, the audio seems out of sync. I don't know if it 811 related or not. I only have 2 digital stations in my area online right now. But it doesn't have the audio sync problem on the Sat HD sources. I have the same program guide problems as the others. The OTA audio sync problem is the only one that really bothers me. Could be the station and not the 811 though.

The audio sync problem must be the 811 because I have it too and have called 2-3 times about it.

Their fix...........push and hold reset button for 5 seconds.

KyDave said:
The box also does not support OPEN TV (channel 100) as advertised.

But it will be coming in a future software release, just like on the Dish 6000 which was supposed to have it :rolleyes:

Seriously, the 811 will eventually get it, where the 6000 even though is was supposed to get it won't ever.

This goes back to what I've said before, why do folks keep putting up with Dish shipping products that don't have advertised features enabled? I've lost track, has the 721 finally got the OpenTV features that it was supposed to have or it is that another to come later sofware upgrade???

I went back and skimmed what has been added, not too concise and orderly.

I gather two to three more.

20) Audio sync corrected by resetting

21) Open TV not active yet

22) 811 freezes up, perhaps related to guide surfing.

If I have missed any, let me know.

I had an 811 installed on Jan6 and also can attest to having most of the problems that others have had. The most irritating for me is the analog OTA channels, they are almost unwatchable! Looks like grainy, digital "static" superimposed over the picture. These stations come in fine when feed is connected directly to TV. I live in a rural area and was happy when during the scan for digital OTA channels, one was found. When I tried to tune it in, the signal strenth meter showed mid 50's but the unit would not lock it in.

I was looking forward to integrating the OTA channels with the Dish receiver program guide so I would not have to select inputs between OTA and satellite channels like I had to with my old 3000 unit.

Has anyone talked to Dish technical support about these problems? I would like to think they are working on solutions, but they need to let the 811 users know this and that fixes are on the way. I do not like to think that I spent my money to be a "beta tester" for their new product.

peid said:
The audio sync problem must be the 811 because I have it too and have called 2-3 times about it.

Their fix...........push and hold reset button for 5 seconds.

The audio sync is not an 811 problem with over the air HD programing. I have audio sync problems too and contacted my local CBS station. Here's the emil that I got back from them: "We are having problems with audio sync directly from CBS which means there is little we can do about it. Hopefully CBS is going to get it taken care of. The true HD feed is totally different from the 'upconverted' digital feed (which I believe is what the other stations are doing). We will continue to work with CBS on the problem."

Never stated I had an audio sync problem with my OTA HD signals.

I have audio sync problems on ALL channels BUT my OTA channels.

The reset for 5 seconds does work, but should I have to do that?

My locals work just fine, it is the Dish 811!

Clarification, the person I replied to did have OTA audio sync problems, I do not however.

I only have them on the Satellite channels, and all of them.

Not all the time though.

Re: 811 - Buy or not? 811 DVI PQ WORSE than 6000's RGB

Shichonni said:

--Shichonni

I have a 6000 and have no plans on getting the 811 as I see no value added.

This post on avsforum about the PQ using DVI sealed the deal for me:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?postid=3180671#post3180671

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)