Sunbeam Television Shuts Out DIRECTV NFL Fans in Miami in Attempt to Extract 300 Percent Pay Increas

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Sunbeam Television Shuts Out DIRECTV NFL Fans in Miami in Attempt to Extract 300 Percent Pay Increase

Sunbeam Pulls WSVN (Miami) and WHDH/ WLVI (Boston) Off of DIRECTV, Refuses Request to Keep Channels Up While Talks Continue Leaving Their Viewers Out in the Cold

EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Sunbeam Television, a Miami-based station owner, today denied DIRECTV customers in its south Florida hometown access to their local FOX station, blacking out this Saturday's and Sunday's NFL divisional playoff games in an egregious attempt to extract a more than 300 percent increase in fees. As a result of Sunbeam's actions, DIRECTV customers in Boston have also lost their local NBC and CW affiliates.

DIRECTV made repeated requests to extend its agreement to carry Sunbeam Television stations so negotiations could continue and to avoid the loss of this afternoon's NFC playoff game between the San Francisco 49ers and New Orleans Saints, as well as tomorrow afternoon's contest between the NY Giants and defending NFL Champion Green Bay Packers.

Not only did Sunbeam flat out refuse this request, they sent a demand letter today dictating that the channels be removed immediately from DIRECTV. This decision rests solely on the shoulders of Sunbeam executives, so customers should call Sunbeam's corporate offices and insist the channels be restored so customers aren't placed in the middle while both sides work toward a deal to enable everyone to move on.

Over the past 12 months, DIRECTV has achieved fair and equitable agreements with more than 70 local station owners representing hundreds of different TV channels (including stations in Boston and Miami) and without any programming disruptions. More than 20 of those agreements came within the past several weeks alone.

"There is always one outlier, like Sunbeam, who has no problem committing an unthinkable abuse of the public trust in an effort to shake down an excessive financial arrangement for themselves," said Derek Chang, executive vice president of Programming for DIRECTV. "We have no problem compensating Sunbeam fairly, but we have to take a stand against runaway greed and a shameless attempt to extort a more than 300 percent fee increase that our customers risk having to absorb. Sunbeam has completely disregarded its obligations to the public, NFL fans and hundreds of thousands of our loyal customers."

Local broadcast station owners like Sunbeam operate under Federal license to freely use the airwaves and have a responsibility to all consumers to provide reasonable access to their programming. Threats by station owners and forced blackouts are a rising trend affecting other pay TV distributors, which has not escaped the attention of the Federal Communications Commission and members of Congress. DIRECTV will bring the Sunbeam matter to the attention of both the Federal Communications Commission and Congressional representatives from Sunbeam districts.

Good time to have a OTA antenna !

It amazes me that a particular Station owner thinks they can get x amount of dollars more than what D* is offering when D* has been working with the same networks across the country, you would think that there would be AVG amount of money that would have been established by now so these stations would KNOW what the going rate would be and whats acceptable and what to expect.

I understand locals were also lost in Boston, but I did not get a press release on those channels.

Scott, when was the most recent posting, the one I reads on the WHDH website (NBC / Boston) was dated back on the 12th, that was Thursday, so theres still a chance that they could be back up before the football games,, but seeing it's Sunbeam that pulled them, it's doubtful.

Once again, D* offered an extension to continue negotiations and keep the channels up while doing this, (most companies will do this so nothing is interrupted) looks like Sunbeam didn't.

Have you seen/heard anything more recent ?

You think directv would open up one of the fox channels for us?

I'm curious as to why WSVN broadcasts 63 hours of news per week. Seriously, they have nothing else to broadcast? They might as well become another cable news channel.:rolleyes: And I thought my FOX affiliate broadcasted too much news per week. WSVN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Dang I thought my local Fox broadcasts a lot of news...but they're like 14 hours less a week ;)

Doesnt look like they have a lot of syndicated programming...that might be why

Dang I thought my local Fox broadcasts a lot of news...but they're like 14 hours less a week ;)

Doesnt look like they have a lot of syndicated programming...that might be why

Doing a little math, my FOX station actually broadcasts about the same amount news as WSVN every week if there's a weekend with no sports. It's pretty much the same reason... not a lot of syndicated shows they have.

I hate that channel. But I can't miss my games :eek:
$149 later my ota is up but I'm so far from the towers that signal is at 37% . If I decide to keep this I may need an amp. Pricey but at such short notice I couldn't smart shop online :mad: and being 70 miles or more away from the towers just anything doesn't work.

I hate that channel. But I can't miss my games :eek:
$149 later my ota is up but I'm so far from the towers that signal is at 37% . If I decide to keep this I may need an amp. Pricey but at such short notice I couldn't smart shop online :mad: and being 70 miles or more away from the towers just anything doesn't work.

Ouch.. that's a lot for an OTA setup. I just thought of this (don't know why I didn't think of it earlier) but could you have been able to do a "move" until both sides settle the fight?

Ouch.. that's a lot for an OTA setup. I just thought of this (don't know why I didn't think of it earlier) but could you have been able to do a "move" until both sides settle the fight?
I thought about that but seems like too much trouble for me. I will return what I got today on Monday and get something as good or even better for way less online......

This is from the Boston website posted today from what I could tell ...

Programming Notice

Notice to DirectTV Subscribers

Notice to DirecTV subscribers: Sunbeam Television Corporation, the parent company of WHDH-TV Channel 7 and WLVI Channel 56, could not come to an agreement regarding a renewal of its carriage agreement with DirecTV. As of now,, you will not be able to view WHDH and WLVI on DirecTV, but you can receive Channel 7 and Channel 56 over the air and from other cable and satellite providers.

If you would like to voice your concerns to DirecTV, here’s the number to call. 1-800-531 5000.

Read more: Boston News, Massachusetts News, Weather & Sports 7NEWS WHDH-TV WHDH.COM

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts