Super Bowl Audio Drop Outs

pduncan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 13, 2006
Did anyone notice a lot of "Surround" Audio Dropouts during the super bowl last night. I was watching it OTA on a VIP211. My surround system was going nuts when this happened.

Seemed to happen mostly during the commercials, but the audio mix from CBS seems pretty bad a lot of the time.

oh yea............. GO COLTS!!

I got it in DD for most of the game, switches at commercials were sometimes noticeable. I got the HD Feed from charter lifeline cable though.

I watched it on Philly HD Local.. during a some of the commercials (mostly during pre-game, only once that I remember during the game) The audio popped in and out... My reciever went nuts with it too

Yes! I experienced the same thing, especially during commercials. It was the switching in and out of DD that was the problem. The problem was most noticeable during the national commercials, not so much during local commercials.

watched the super bowl at friends place on Cox Cable, and had the same issue of audio drop outs with the local CBS HD channel.

Watched the game OTA in South Bend, IN and about half of the non-CBS promo commercials had no center channel at all; just the surround. No voices, just music and sound effects. Game was fine. CBS commercials were fine.

Wish they'd delete the voice for our local "furniture warehouse" commercals...

Watched the game OTA in South Bend, IN and about half of the non-CBS promo commercials had no center channel at all; just the surround. No voices, just music and sound effects. Game was fine. CBS commercials were fine.

Wish they'd delete the voice for our local "furniture warehouse" commercals...

Had the same problem !! Watching it on WSBT 22-1 (OTA) !:mad:

I got one better for you... the local affiliate in Baton Rouge lost their HD feed during the whole half time. Came back about 5 min after half time then lost again for 10 minutes to pick up the fourth quarter!

Luckily I have other CBS HD options!

I got it in DD for most of the game, switches at commercials were sometimes noticeable...
You got DD for the entire game and also do every time you watch any HDTV because it is the ONLY way audio can be transmitted in HDTV. DD can be from 1.0 to 5.1 in ATSC. As I said CBS's main programing is almost always in 5.1 and commercials are most often in 2.0. It is the switch between 5.1 to 2.0 that can cause many receivers problems. Also a lot (for CBS) of the SB commercials were in 5.1 so you could have something like the following happening in a commercial break: 5.1 to 2.0 to 5.1 to 2.0 to 5.1.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)