Super Bowl not in HD in Sacramento?

It's OK here

Do a search on "moving"

This is OK to talk about here but don't mention it on DBS. I did and was chastised & posts were removed over there. The prig that calls himself a mod over there said it was against TOS. So I read the TOS not so sure that they are correct the way it is worded. I had to do it when I 1st moved here since there was only 1 ch that was b-casting in digital at all.

I have no problem with it and used to do it in the past when I had a dishplayer and Dish did not offer Tulsa locals. I also have a second house that qualifies as being in a true white area that I have had distants with Direct for years. Some complain about it so I just advise to search on "moving" anymore. It is pretty easy to find that information

What Sacramento thinks they are the only area NOT getting the superbowl in HD? Ya so there are alot of area's that dont get fox hd from dish. That is the reason why they make OTA indoor/outdoor antennas. I Too live in an area where i cant get fox hd from dish network. The cable companies can but not the satellite companies. KBSI is broadcasting it via OTA so i dont care.

You are assuming that everyone can get Fox HD locals. Our local Fox is broadcasting something like 50 watts on HD as a test. Those in town can get it with a small beam, and they feed it to cable but I'm in a suburb 10 miles away with a large hill in the way. This would be bad enough, but their SD feed on Dish is terrible - worse than SD should be - washed out contrast and blurry. Our locals are scheduled to go HD on Dish this month, but of course after the superbowl.

Only way in to get Fox HD in our area is if you have Charter Cable.....
TRSmudge

WAUSAU, WISCONSIN -- – WFXS-FOX55'S recent deal with Charter Cable to carry the station's High Definition (HDTV) feed will allow Charter subscribers and their friends to watch this year's Superbowl in HD. According to Robert Raff, WFXS’s Vice President and General Manager, “Charter customers who own a high-definition TV will now find WFXS, FOX55 on cable channel 785 in high definition quality. WFXS is providing Charter with a direct HD feed via Charter’s fiber optic cable from the station’s downtown Wausau studio.”
WFXS is currently working with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to construct a full HD broadcast facility to be completed later this year. FCC rules and laws regulate what a station must do to establish an over-the-air digital broadcast signal, however, the station is permitted to provide the signal to cable or satellite operators capable of transporting the signal from the studio to their customers. Raff says the signal would also be made available to any other cable providers with the ability to get the HDTV signal in a similar manner. At this time, Charter is the only provider with a fiber connection to WFXS.
“Charter is very pleased to add WFXS to our array of popular high-definition services,” commented Lisa Washa, Vice President and General Manager of Charter in Wisconsin. “We know this is quality programming that adds to the value our customers with HD television sets want, and we feel it’s another benefit for our customers in the investment we have made in our fiber optic network.”
WFXS is the FOX network affiliate for north central Wisconsin and Charter is the leading video, high-speed Internet and telephone provider in the area. The FOX TV Network has been a leader in HDTV program production for several years and Charter carries over 20 HD channels and over one hundred options of high definition programming, including Video-on-Demand throughout the region.

Over here in the Seattle area we also do not have fox in hd. I got lucky and was able to put up an fm dipole and pull the station in.:)

Yea, I just threw up temp anternna to pull in fox, my main OTA antenna is aimed to the Seattle towers, so I can pull in ABC, NBC, & CBS.

Our FOX tower is 54 degrees off from our other towers & my main antenna doesn't pick up fox reliably.

Here we go again with an incorrect thread title:mad::mad:
Would the mods please correct the title on this thread?
THE SUPER BOWL IS IN HD!!!!!!!!
Just because YOU cant get it IN HD doesnt mean it isnt in hd!!!!!

Not a problem. Just get it OTA. Would I like to see Fox on Dish? Yes, but not a deal breaker and I will be able to view it just fine and without Dish compression.

S~

The Sacramento local HD stations are not compressed by E* at this time because E* only carries 4 of them on the spotbeam. If they start to carry FOX the compression may begin because they will have to add the CW channel (both owned by Tribune) so 6 HD channels on one spotmean can be tight.

Still since FOX is 720p, a little compression wouldn't make it look bad, now the CBS HD and NBC HD will look bad because they are 1080i.

Interestingly DirecTV today allowed its HD viewers to watch the FOX HD game on CH701, a MPEG4 HD channel available nationwide. The feed was from FOX in NYC but most all HD subs nationwide could watch it.

Maybe E* should try a similar arrangement in the future.

The Sacramento local HD stations are not compressed by E* at this time because E* only carries 4 of them on the spotbeam. If they start to carry FOX the compression may begin because they will have to add the CW channel (both owned by Tribune) so 6 HD channels on one spotmean can be tight.

Still since FOX is 720p, a little compression wouldn't make it look bad, now the CBS HD and NBC HD will look bad because they are 1080i.

Interestingly DirecTV today allowed its HD viewers to watch the FOX HD game on CH701, a MPEG4 HD channel available nationwide. The feed was from FOX in NYC but most all HD subs nationwide could watch it.

Maybe E* should try a similar arrangement in the future.

I believe the CW channel in Sacramento is owned by CBS as KOVR is an O&O CBS station and they even use the same website.

What this really says

Only way in to get Fox HD in our area is if you have Charter Cable.....
TRSmudge

WAUSAU, WISCONSIN -- – WFXS-FOX55'S recent deal with Charter Cable to carry the station's High Definition (HDTV) feed will allow Charter subscribers and their friends to watch this year's Superbowl in HD. According to Robert Raff, WFXS’s Vice President and General Manager, “Charter customers who own a high-definition TV will now find WFXS, FOX55 on cable channel 785 in high definition quality. WFXS is providing Charter with a direct HD feed via Charter’s fiber optic cable from the station’s downtown Wausau studio.”
WFXS is currently working with the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) to construct a full HD broadcast facility to be completed later this year. FCC rules and laws regulate what a station must do to establish an over-the-air digital broadcast signal, however, the station is permitted to provide the signal to cable or satellite operators capable of transporting the signal from the studio to their customers. Raff says the signal would also be made available to any other cable providers with the ability to get the HDTV signal in a similar manner. At this time, Charter is the only provider with a fiber connection to WFXS.
“Charter is very pleased to add WFXS to our array of popular high-definition services,” commented Lisa Washa, Vice President and General Manager of Charter in Wisconsin. “We know this is quality programming that adds to the value our customers with HD television sets want, and we feel it’s another benefit for our customers in the investment we have made in our fiber optic network.”
WFXS is the FOX network affiliate for north central Wisconsin and Charter is the leading video, high-speed Internet and telephone provider in the area. The FOX TV Network has been a leader in HDTV program production for several years and Charter carries over 20 HD channels and over one hundred options of high definition programming, including Video-on-Demand throughout the region.

What this statement is saying is that the station didn't get it's s**t together to broadcast it signal in HD OTA. So they have the signal but have not put in the OTA transmitter yet. The cable co's have run a fiber to the station so the station didn't have to put out in $$ for that. I would bet that the digital transmitter will miraculously come on line before 2-17-09.

Well I had the same problem as the originial poster since I'm in the Sacramento locals area. Everyone speaks of the antenna solution like it's a piece of cake, but it's often not. Let's not forget that putting up an antenna to get HD can be a royal pain in the arse, especially if you have to get up on a tall ladder to mount an outdoor one and drill through walls and such, and even more importantly, get your wife to buy into the idea. Sometimes even if you live relatively close to a broadcast tower, you may have trouble getting a good signal due to ghosting and obstructions.

With that said, I got VERY lucky and was able to watch the game in full HD yesterday.

I live in Folsom, some 40 miles from our towers. I long ago ruled out an outdoor antenna due to hassle factor and risk (I have a two story house so the eves are way the hell up there and I don't own ladder tall enough, plus I'm nervous of heights). I've had spotty success getting a solid signal with an indoor Zenith directional antenna from the downstairs of my house.

But recently I completed constructing my projection home theater in an upstairs bonus room, and it's set up with it's own Dish DVR (the 722). A few days before the Big Game, I hooked up my indoor antenna up there, and pulled a 100% signal from Fox40! Could hardly believe it. I don't even have the antenna near a window. I just set it on the floor behind the rear row of theater seats, aiming in the direction of the towers, through an interior and exterior wall of the house. I'm using a Radio Shack 2 piece signal amplifier. And I'm getting this rock-solid signal. The other locals are coming in at 75-90% strength.

I'm really lucky because the positioning of my house, my theater, and having everything on the 2nd floor made it very convenient to hook this up and get a really good signal.

But most aren't so lucky. Many of us signed up with satellite service so as to not have to hassle with antennas. So I really want to see Tribune and Dish settle on this soon. Hopefully when Dish gets their new birds going, they'll re-engage Tribune in some earnest negotiations to get this solved.

Both Sacramento and Seattle Fox (tribune owned) stations have essentially the same verbiage posted in their websites essentially stating that DISH customers need to pressure DISH. From my conversations with Seattle KCPQ (God forbid DISH actually engages with their customers), the issue appears to be dormant although the glimmer of hope was that things could change in a matter of days. I repeat ad naseum that the more DISH and Tribune hear from affected consumers, the odds get better in getting some movement. Right now I feel taken for granted by both parties and, as I have stated numerous times before, not having Fox overrides any other HD programming issues. If the two parties simply will not agree, we should be advised and plan to either accept the status quo or move on- the lack of acknowledgement of this issue on DISH's part is bizarre. Urgh.

My feeling, as stated elsewhere in this forum, is that negotiations stalled a while back, and Dish let it drop for a while because they are consumed with trying to add more cities to their HD Locals list and juggle bandwidth among the TPs. My feeling is Dish would rather add more cities to the HD locals list than more channels in each city. Looks better from a marketing standpoint. And customers may not really notice too much for the most part, EXCEPT when the Big Game happens to be on the missing channel and the big box stores are pushing plasmas out the door with the selling point that you can watch the Big Game in HD.

Hopefully, with the new birds launching this year, Dish will come back to the bargaining table.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)